Blue88Comanche Pioneer 4X4

I have been using the USB cord that came with my iphone in the deck and it charges and plays the ipod function. I got another from a friend that the iPod died and have it full time in the jeep. I will be changing out my deck in the MJ in the next couple days and will be running a USB plug out of the back of the unit to make the plugging in easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I have had these two alpine 10inch subs and 600 watt planet audio amp for almost 2 years... My uncle and I finally satrted working on the box again. It just needs paint, poly-fill, the the subs put in and its done!

284296_2240862021573_1248744812_2733751_4801826_n.jpg

My Tranny is still not working, and is going to cost around $400 to get going again..

finally i was able to take blue to the mec today.. this morning while i was getting it ready i started the engine and let it idle for a few min. well i turned off the engine because i needed the key on the key ring and when i went to start the engine it would not start... so i pressed the gas and tried again and that time it did.. well now i need to have a foot on the gas to keep it from cutting out.. so mom is in her KJ and we start to leave the drive way when i tap the brakes.... never have my brakes worked so well.... i managed to stop mt MJ and mom's KJ.. so by the time we got to she shop mom tells me that she did not need to use her brakes the whole time... well at least i know those work for once... I got to talking with the mechanic and he said it should be around $250, that is a lot better than the $400 he said last week!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
First time in a diff? Regular axle lube is bad enough, but wait until you crack one open that requires friction modifier...

Mmm.

Is it weird I sort of like the smell of gear lube?

Rob

:ack: yep first time. But now is the opportunity to drop in a locker or limited slip

I applaud the craftsmanship of the sub enclosure, but a few questions on it:

1. Is it going in your MJ? I see the video had it being used in an XJ, which would seem like what it was built for, considering the flat bottom base. If it i going in your MJ, then I must ask you this (this is not meant in disrespect and is a simple question seeking a simple answer...hard to convey that through text...emoticons don't help): aren't two 10" subs too much for a cabin the size of the MJ? I feel as though you will need to turn them way down if you don't want to rattle your teeth, unless that's what you're going for. I had two 10" subs in a downward facing enclosure in my YJ when I was in high school (I was young once, too, and I understand the appeal of big booming bass. We used to have parking lot wars in High School to see who had the loudest bass. I never won because I went for sound clarity over raw loudness). Anyway, in the larger volume cabin of the YJ, those two 10" were still too much when they were turned way down and tuned correctly. I have a feeling that much base in an MJ is going to get real old, real quick.

2. Are the sub boxes made with the subwoofers volume requirements in mind or are they made to fit a space? You would be surprised how much more you can get out of a subwoofer if the enclosure is built for it. When I took my two 10" subs out of the downward facing enclosure in my YJ (which was built to fit the Jeep, not to fit the sub) and put them in an appropriately sized box, it was night and day. They were two relatively cheap subs that I bought from a friend, but they sounded like a mid to high end sub in the right enclosure. I actually sold them for more than I initially paid for them because the buyer was impressed with the quality of the sound.

I applaud the craftsmanship of the sub enclosure, but a few questions on it:

1. Is it going in your MJ? I see the video had it being used in an XJ, which would seem like what it was built for, considering the flat bottom base. If it i going in your MJ, then I must ask you this (this is not meant in disrespect and is a simple question seeking a simple answer...hard to convey that through text...emoticons don't help): aren't two 10" subs too much for a cabin the size of the MJ? I feel as though you will need to turn them way down if you don't want to rattle your teeth, unless that's what you're going for. I had two 10" subs in a downward facing enclosure in my YJ when I was in high school (I was young once, too, and I understand the appeal of big booming bass. We used to have parking lot wars in High School to see who had the loudest bass. I never won because I went for sound clarity over raw loudness). Anyway, in the larger volume cabin of the YJ, those two 10" were still too much when they were turned way down and tuned correctly. I have a feeling that much base in an MJ is going to get real old, real quick.

2. Are the sub boxes made with the subwoofers volume requirements in mind or are they made to fit a space? You would be surprised how much more you can get out of a subwoofer if the enclosure is built for it. When I took my two 10" subs out of the downward facing enclosure in my YJ (which was built to fit the Jeep, not to fit the sub) and put them in an appropriately sized box, it was night and day. They were two relatively cheap subs that I bought from a friend, but they sounded like a mid to high end sub in the right enclosure. I actually sold them for more than I initially paid for them because the buyer was impressed with the quality of the sound.

1st, yes it will be going into the MJ, and as you noticed the sub box does have a flat bottom and the back of a MJ does not. My MJ is still at the shop so we where not able to finish the base of the sub box.. and its actually in the back of my Aunt's Honda CRV, thought we where going to have problems when i wanted to take it out because she liked it.. It most likely will be way too much bass for the cab on a MJ but the whole thing (4 Kenwood cab speakers, 600 watt amp, 2 10 inch subs, and stuff to make the box) only cost me about 60 bucks, so its more of a because i can thing right now. But i do agree with sound quality over loudness.

2nd. My uncle that helped me build it has built several boxes in the past that turned out better than some car audio shops "custom" boxes. after I got the subs I looked up the specs for airspace req. Then we measured how much space i have behind the seats, as well as the angle of the seats. then we did the math and did some more measuring till we where in the middle of the required airspace. the box is a sealed design and its pretty well air tight. It is solid, and heavy without the subs. But what you can't hear in the video clip is bass, my poor iPhone 4 can't record that apparently, it was awesome to say the least.

If i ever get an XJ I may would move the system over to it.

Looked like 97+ XJ interior door panels at a first glance.

Yes, the iPhone 4 does not pick up low frequencies very well, if at all.

Good to hear that you did a little bit of math on the enclosures and didn't just "make it fit." I've seen some very clever sub box enclosures that were made to fit awkward spaces, but the subs did not sound good at all.

I understand the "work with what you have (are given)" mentality. When I started piecing together the system for my YJ, I was given an old mono amplifier that was actually worth a couple hundred. I decided to build my system around that and it wound up only costing me about $150 for the enclosure and the sub woofers. Fortunately, the volume of the sub box was right smack in the middle of the requirements for the subs that I wound up getting. I didn't do any math beforehand and just got lucky. My 2 10" setup in a properly sized box sounded 10X better than the kids with 3 12" subs in a box that they found for sale at Best Buy that they thought looked cool because it had neon lights and a clear panel where you could see their amp. I always thought those kinds of setups were a vehicle break-in waiting to happen, hence why I chose to hide all of my equipment. It may not have been as loud, but it was crisp without the typical droning you get from crappy setups. It also didn't rattle every nut and bolt on the truck, which I thought was pretty impressive in a YJ with a soft top, consider how loosely the soft top frame fit together.

the way my uncle is, nothing other than perfection will do. All I wanted was a very good sounding Sub system.. Two years later i finally got it :yes: I just hope it will fit with the XJ center console.

I can't seem to type today, good thing there is spell check built into Fire Fox. :hmm:

its not a good sign when, you tell your mechanic you want to swap from a BA/10 to an AX-15, and he doubts it will work... so i tell him if he has any questions just call me. so after i get the parts needed and he is installing the internal slave he calls me saying there is a part missing and he can't work on it... well i work 20 miles away and i had to lave work early and spend 5 min with an angle grinder to fab up what he needed, again i told him if he needed anything just call me.. well about a hour before they close i called them because they should have finished my jeep by then... they stopped working on it about an hour before i called because the tranny cross member would not line up as it should, i told them i would be there in a few min. after i get there i looked at it and the rubber part of the tranny mount was backward, so i swapped it around and what do you know... it fits... we spent the last 30 min of his work day finishing up reassembling my MJ.. hopefully tomorrow morning they will put in the tranny oil in and charge my battery then i can finally get my jeep and people will stop wasting my time....

303062_2517619380334_2104934611_n.jpg

299689_2517621140378_396032411_n.jpg

299689_2517621140378_396032411_n.jpg

311788_2517622100402_1064804120_n.jpg

found my gear ratio tag!

319508_2517628780569_2007100763_n.jpg

320523_2517630060601_1610641355_n.jpg