Blue88Comanche Pioneer 4X4

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
your inline fuse is too far away from the battery,

needs to be under 18 inches from it :thumbsup:

That is actually how the kit came.. But that is good to know and I will work on fixing that soon. I haven't been using the inverter a lot lately

Today I finally finished installing new coil springs. Mom and I took a test drive down a washboard dirt road... Hardly noticed it!! :yes:

So now I think she wants me to redo the suspension on her 03 KJ... We also don't know why I get better gas mileage.. I get around 17.5 to 19.8 and she gets 17 mpg..

Swaybar links wouldn't have anything to do with how the coils sit. It does look very compressed though. Who are the springs from? Maybe the progressive springs are too progressive! (The soft part too soft!) You should also tighten up those link bushings. the bushings should be slightly compressed.

I bought and installed a Full XJ console last weekend.. It still needs some mounting brackets because its only being held in by one screw...

264414_2154636265983_2078382_n.jpg

261616_2154638026027_212867_n.jpg

I wanted a better way to run the wire from my iPhone to the radio, so I used the parking brake slit as a way to run the cable under the console. I also plan to run a wire for the charger and maybe 110v from my inverter.

263768_2154656946500_6231437_n.jpg

264921_2154658586541_4056058_n.jpg

I wanted a better way to run the wire from my iPhone to the radio, so I used the parking brake slit as a way to run the cable under the console. I also plan to run a wire for the charger and maybe 110v from my inverter.

263768_2154656946500_1248744812_2644079_6231437_n.jpg

264921_2154658586541_1248744812_2644086_4056058_n.jpg

You may be over-engineering this. It looks like your head unit has a USB connection on it. More than likely, you can just run an iPod/iPhone cable from that to your iPhone. That will at least charge the phone and (if your head unit supports it) allow you to listen to music from your iPhone on your truck stereo. Depending on the make and model of that head unit, you may also be able to have simple forward, reverse, stop, and pause functions for your iPhone through the head unit.

You may be over-engineering this. It looks like your head unit has a USB connection on it. More than likely, you can just run an iPod/iPhone cable from that to your iPhone. That will at least charge the phone and (if your head unit supports it) allow you to listen to music from your iPhone on your truck stereo. Depending on the make and model of that head unit, you may also be able to have simple forward, reverse, stop, and pause functions for your iPhone through the head unit.

I can't remember for sure but when my friend had it in his Audi (as a temp till the factory Bose came in) I think he tried that.. but not sure.. i know I can plug in a flash drive and record voice notes.. guess i will play with it later after i get off work.

I can't remember for sure but when my friend had it in his Audi (as a temp till the factory Bose came in) I think he tried that.. but not sure.. i know I can plug in a flash drive and record voice notes.. guess i will play with it later after i get off work.

At the very LEAST, that USB port should supply the 5VDC power to your iPhone to charge it, so installing an inverter for the purpose of phone charging would be redundant (although I'm aware that an inverter would have a lot of other uses). Give your iPhone USB cable a shot and see what happens. It could be that your head unit is one of the very early ones that provided a USB port and it actually has very limited functionality - depends on how old it is. I have a Dual head unit in my XJ that is now almost three years old that has Bluetooth, HD Radio, and iPod/iPhone control and I know there were head units before mine that had the same features so there's a chance for yours....

Do you know who makes your head unit?

Wow man, that is awesome. Great job on the MJ, looks like a labor of love but the truck looks awesome. I should have you come out to California and work on my Jeep haha.

Thanks, I still want new carpet in the cab but need to stop a leak in the doors first... I have found that my Comanche is a Love Hate sorta thing.. I love the truck but hate the French and odd sized metric parts.. no one in town had a 11mm flare nut wrench... they had 9mm, 10mm, and 12mm... that was for the flare nut on the master clutch cylinder. 21mm i think is the size for the bolts in the control arms and the leaf springs.. also can't remember for sure but 15/16 fits too.

At the very LEAST, that USB port should supply the 5VDC power to your iPhone to charge it, so installing an inverter for the purpose of phone charging would be redundant (although I'm aware that an inverter would have a lot of other uses). Give your iPhone USB cable a shot and see what happens. It could be that your head unit is one of the very early ones that provided a USB port and it actually has very limited functionality - depends on how old it is. I have a Dual head unit in my XJ that is now almost three years old that has Bluetooth, HD Radio, and iPod/iPhone control and I know there were head units before mine that had the same features so there's a chance for yours....

Do you know who makes your head unit?

I am not sure who makes it.. it has VR3 on it.. As for the USB, I went out to the Truck and plugged in my iPhone.. it made the charging sound but did not show the charging icon in the top corner.. I also tried to select USB as a option on the radio but i guess its old or cheap.. It does have Bluetooth and i can play my music that way but it does not sound as good as the cable (Bluetooth stuff in general sounds choppy and has no bass or at least all my Bluetooth stuff). As for charging the phone I was going to run another 12v feed and hack a charger straight into that. Just as a side note don't leave your laptop charging in its case while in a hot car.. i did that and it was acting up after i got home because it was so hot..

edit: as for it not charging it may not have the proper amperage to charge the phone

Yea, if you can't find a manufacturer on the front panel somewhere, good chance it's some cheap Walmart off-brand of something. My limited search of VR3 head units didn't come up with anything promising. I would see if leaving your iPhone plugged in for a while still charges the battery, even though the little lightning bolt icon didn't show up. The fact it made the charging sound indicates that something is happening through USB. Try hooking it up through USB and manually playing a song on the iPhone...see if it comes through your truck speakers.

Yea, if you can't find a manufacturer on the front panel somewhere, good chance it's some cheap Walmart off-brand of something. My limited search of VR3 head units didn't come up with anything promising. I would see if leaving your iPhone plugged in for a while still charges the battery, even though the little lightning bolt icon didn't show up. The fact it made the charging sound indicates that something is happening through USB. Try hooking it up through USB and manually playing a song on the iPhone...see if it comes through your truck speakers.

Yes, it is a cheap walmart unit my friend bought it as a temp while he was waiting on the new Bose head unit that came with his Audi.. the dumb :mad: that had the car before him swapped it for an even cheaper one because they wanted to wire in some subs.... after the Bose went in it was awesome again.. :rant: sorry about the rant but some people are just stupid when it comes to car audio systems.

I did try to play a song on the phone to see what it would do, all it did was play on the phone.. but its not that big of a deal if i wanted to get rid of the cord i can put my music on a cd or a SD card. is works and sounds good at least.

edit: I went out to the Jeep again and did a current test unpluged my iPhone uses about -210mA to -300mA from the battery depending on what i am doing.. plugged in it uses about -47mA.

_______________unplugged________________________________________________________________________plugged in

259821_2155558009026_1248744812_2645297_3756159_n.jpg264652_2155558769045_1248744812_2645299_7912778_n.jpg

the battery may charge while the phone is in sleep and with wifi off, just not sure with playing music

• 3 weeks later...