Rustoleum paint job

I made a booth from a old car tent, a roll of poly, tape, 2 x 20" fans filters on the inlet and outlet, and lights,.. I change the filters between coats,...

I didn't use Rustolem though...

Google Jenssen 93 XJ rebuild - No Tech

Google Jenssen 93 XJ rebuild - No Tech

:shake:

Don't you know how lazy we all are?

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4898

Took a lot for me to google that, and follow the links... So for those lazy as me, there be the direct link.

And, if I do say so myself, nice job man. Always a fan of the copper color, and you can NEVER go wrong with a set of Rubi's.

Rob L. :cheers:

This is my rattle can job...it's not perfect, but it works. The thing was in rough shape, it took ALOT of prep and ALOT of paint. I spent over $250 on prep and paint supplies and found it difficult to even find the paint once I decided on a color. Metallic Racing Green. I also used sandable pimer, had to do alot of sanding and filling small dings, the gloss brings out and seems to amplify any imperfections, of which there were many.

It started out looking like this:

I scraped off the decal because the PO had tried to sand it off...wrong...it peels off fine with some Xylene (or Acetone) a razor scraper, and some patience.

Sanded and primed.

So I sanded, and sanded, and re-primed, and sanded. Then I bought 24 cans of paint. I also got some art tips from ACE hardware and one of those can holder spray atttachments. Here's what came out of it

Ive done the old spray can paint job before with great results, my trick besides prep and a clean enviroment and a warm day is heat up the can a bit like set it in the direct sunlight for a while it helps the can spray better and when the can starts getting low stop using it to prevent a crappy spray pattern...good luck!

Just 2 examples of what can be done with a rattle can.

'74 Honda, 750, Candy Apple Red

1965 Tempest, Parked it under the cloths line with a couple tarps thrown over the lines for a paint booth. It can be done. Prep and careful application.

• 1 month later...

After some serious thought I decided to break down and spray the ole Comanche instead of rolling. I put in sixteen plus hours sanding and prepping the old paint :shake: . I sprayed the first coat of primer and have a friend who is gonna let me use his paint booth this Saturday :D . Here it is after sanding.

This is it after one coat of sandable primer.

I'm definately happy with the results so far. I will have pictures of the finished paint job after this weekend if all goes well. Thanks again for all the advice.

I really didn't even plan on painting it plus I ran out of time. Most of the major dents are in the bed so I figure I can always fix the dents and respray the bed. And also Ive never done any body work either. I'm happy with it though next up soa and a comancheclub sticker I figure it's worthy now.

I'm about to attempt this project myself, going with the paint roller method. I'll post pictures when I actually start on it. Right now I'm trying to fix the minor dings and the broken slider window. I replaced the dented hood with a red faded almost dent free one from a cherokee at a salvage yard, while I was there I found a comanche with non broken working slider window (took around 2 1/2 hours to get out with nothing but a leatherman lmao)! and omg get this, it had working dome lights:O the engine wasn't a 4.0 so I couldn't really salvage any parts from it, the tail gate was bent and would not open so I couldn't grab the tail lights. I'm also taking my half functional bent tailgate off and throwing a net in it. Tired of looking for a decent tailgate under $200 lol.

I originally planned on rolling on the paint but once I spent two days sanding I figured I might as well spray it. The paint I used was vansickle paint and its pretty tough stuff. We use it on our forklifts and pallet jacks at work. I only spent around 120 on paint, supplies, and hvlp from HF. The 5" orbital sander from HF was priceless, I wouldn't have ever finished without it. Good luck.

• 1 year later...