Site Design...

SubSonic

I've always thought the site design could use a bit of an update. (Not trying to be disrespectful :D )

I spent a little bit of time doing some basic designing, as I feel simplicity is a big part of CC. However, I thought the flash buttons needed to go because they are unusable on mobile devices.

Anyway, if you'd like to see what I've come up with so far check out http://subsonicx.com/cc

If you have any ideas please add them, or if you want me to stop trying to redesign the site, just let me know. ;)

"disrespectful"? ha! our main page could be better designed by a troop of fingerless chimps. :yes:

I like it. :thumbsup: when we get to transfering to the new forum software (hopefully later this week), I'll be in touch. :cheers:

Cool, sounds good. What are the planned upgrades for the forum? I also have the php code setup to pull the recent posts for the home page... (as seen on the place holder setup on the side bar) I just am not running it on my server because I cannot pull from another website (yours).

However, the code *should* work flawlessly when handed over to you. I also have a few more aesthetic changes that may/may not be added.

But I'd be happy to add/change anything you'd like, since after all it is your site and I'm just trying to do my part for a community I enjoy. ;)

pretty much any of the non-free forum softwares will be better than the free phpbb, but the big benefit for me is that our hosts are much more familiar with fusionbb. (and technically they do the grunt work of site maintenance since I'm practically a computer illiterate when it comes to code. :typing: nothing I do seems to work right.) fusion has a phpbb import feature so I'm told the threads and names should transfer over. settings and avatars maybe not so much.

also they have some more modern (and hopefully more effective) capcha to keep spammers at bay. :yes:

Gotcha. I had to close my last phpBB forum for the same reason (spammers managing to get by email registration) and I simply got tired of sorting through the crap and deleting the fakes.

Hopefully the transition is smooth, let me know if you would like any help or insight. Good Luck with it.

Pete, just out of curiosity here, how much is something like vBulletin? You've always said a bunch, but I was just curious if it was something I could swing. After playing with the FusionBB, there really aren't many sites running it, and I think it looks very cheap and unfinished. I like our current setup WAAAAAYYYYY better.

Rob L.

vBulletin is awesome. However, it does have a hefty price tag. I have used it before, and it is great, but I can't tell you if it is worth the money to you.

If you want I can set up a *test* vBulletin on my server and give you guys privileges to play around with it, or any other forum software for that matter. Let me know.

Edit: BTW, pricing: https://www.vbulletin.com/order/index.php?do=step1 :idea:

Believe so.

I just can't express my discontent enough for the dislike of the appearance of the FusionBB.

Rob L. :ack:

Believe so.

I just can't express my discontent enough for the dislike of the appearance of the vBulletin.

Correy T. :ack:

vBulletin is awesome. However, it does have a hefty price tag. I have used it before, and it is great, but I can't tell you if it is worth the money to you.

If you want I can set up a *test* vBulletin on my server and give you guys privileges to play around with it, or any other forum software for that matter. Let me know.

ouch. and then paying for tech support on top of that?

Let's start a donation fund... :banana:

But on a serious note, I don't know if this is a large enough community to warrant the purchase. However, is the newer version of phpBB any better than the one your running? I just get a bad feeling about running fusion, mainly because I'd never even heard of it until now. Is it stable?

Let's start a donation fund... :banana:

But on a serious note, I don't know if this is a large enough community to warrant the purchase. However, is the newer version of phpBB any better than the one your running? I just get a bad feeling about running fusion, mainly because I'd never even heard of it until now. Is it stable?

It didn't seem like there were a ton of sites running it. Pete has a test section put up if you would like to check it out. www.comancheclub.com/fusionbb

Rob L.

It's supposedly pretty new.

the problem with the version of phpbb we have now is the inherent glitches due to a lack of continuous updating due to my being an idiot when it comes to updating procedure. we got so far behind that when I finally asked our hosts to do the update for us, there wasn't a patch that brought our old version up to date. So the closest one was used. Didn't turn out all that well. And subsequent updates have only made things worse and we had to backtrack to the frankenstein you see now. If we get the most up-to-date version, it'll be just like a conversion to another software; i.e. only threads and names would transfer (without a ton of work).

The big selling point for the fusion is that the people at our host company are very familiar with it. right now, no one I know is uber familiar with phpbb. Well, probably not no one, but I pretty much have to hand the keys over to whomever would be doing the work, and I tend to hesitate doing that. If I could find someone local to me that could simply show me how to do all of it, that would be ideal. but I haven't found that person yet. :dunno:

It's supposedly pretty new.

the problem with the version of phpbb we have now is the inherent glitches due to a lack of continuous updating due to my being an idiot when it comes to updating procedure. we got so far behind that when I finally asked our hosts to do the update for us, there wasn't a patch that brought our old version up to date. So the closest one was used. Didn't turn out all that well. And subsequent updates have only made things worse and we had to backtrack to the frankenstein you see now. If we get the most up-to-date version, it'll be just like a conversion to another software; i.e. only threads and names would transfer (without a ton of work).

The big selling point for the fusion is that the people at our host company are very familiar with it. right now, no one I know is uber familiar with phpbb. Well, probably not no one, but I pretty much have to hand the keys over to whomever would be doing the work, and I tend to hesitate doing that. If I could find someone local to me that could simply show me how to do all of it, that would be ideal. but I haven't found that person yet. :dunno:

Hmm, What version of phpBB are you currently running? It might take a bit of work, but it should be possible to get it up to date without losing any data.

I appreciate his optimism. :D

3.0.7-PL1 is what we have. 3.08 is the newest version as far as I can tell. updating to 3.08 increases the errors and glitches exponentially. We tried and had to revert back to the saved copy after only a day. Even if we fix the current glitches first, the update caused new ones and I bet it still would.

But, if you're thinking of starting fresh and attempting to upload each forum aspect individually, it IS possible. I'm told it would simply take a ton of work and we certainly can't afford to pay pros to do that. :(

and whatever transpires... I WANT A NEW ANTI SPAMMER SIGN-UP PROGRAM. :typing: I'd wager that they are out there for phpbb. but I don't know how to make it happen.

fusion will give me that, free experienced help, and it's only 10 bucks a month. but it does lack a chat feature (so far) and Rob doesn't like how it looks. (rob, did you try any different skins for it?)

I appreciate his optimism. :D

3.0.7-PL1 is what we have. 3.08 is the newest version as far as I can tell. updating to 3.08 increases the errors and glitches exponentially. We tried and had to revert back to the saved copy after only a day. Even if we fix the current glitches first, the update caused new ones and I bet it still would.

But, if you're thinking of starting fresh and attempting to upload each forum aspect individually, it IS possible. I'm told it would simply take a ton of work and we certainly can't afford to pay pros to do that. :(

Understandable. And 3.0.7 is close enough to current, that any improvement in upgrading would be slight, at best... However the simplest, as in less than 5 minutes, method for spam control I have found is this http://www.thesamet.com/blog/2006/12/21 ... bb-forums/ as far as the new users breaking email and captcha protection.

I remember using Invision back when it was free, way back when. (But that was a simpler time... :rant:) It was actually great, but alas is no longer free. And now it seems like you have to stay one step ahead all the time.

I'm still trying to find more details on fusion, even on their website, I don't see non-commercial pricing. Is the software itself free for non-commercial use?

we'd be "leasing" it through our host.

If you sign up to the test forum, you can ask Billy directly.

and that's the kind of capcha I want. :D I'm all for keeping phpbb if we can fix the problems and get some improvements. At least I know where some things are in the menus.