Dirteatrs Thin Wallet Build... TRUGGY TIME

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made some progress yesterday, got all the old stuff out and started putting in the new crossmember but the tranny mount holes are non existent so I had to drill 4 holes and holesaw 4 on one side to make the bolts socket accessible, got that bolted up and just threw an arm in so I can see what it'll look like!

All the good new stuff

Stupid shortarms!

And I'm going to Remount the brakelines down lower and straighten out the bends for another couple of inches until I can get some realllll extended ones

Can't wait to drive it again comanche.gif

nice build man, I'm def diggin it. my goal was 35s and long arms so i can't wait to see what yours looks like all together. need the inspiration to finish mine up so my high monthly payment daily driver can go away and leave more jeep moneys.

Got some moredone today! Got my teraflex bar pin eliminators in, welded the crossmember on, extended the vacuum hose for the disconnect and relocated the brakelines upfront... All in all it's almost ready for the road again! My front shaft is so far out of the yoke, so I needa figure that out and I Need tires and a driver side floor :(

thats how my front shaft looked with about 7" lift. drove maybe 1500 mi since i got it, went to get it lengthend today and the splines were too messed up so they would have had to cut off old and weld on new, cheaper to do it now. for some reason the shaft from my cherokee was just about perfect, about 7/16 short. with the old shaft i needed to add 3". don't know if i grabbed a lengthend one from the junk yard without knowing it or what.

those arms confuse me. why is the bushing on the axle end, not the frame? do you use original bushings for the uppers? also why not eliminate the disconnect or lock it at least? hell, single piece shaft man! i don't look back on doing mine

I have a connection with a driveshaft shop so I'll get a new one for cheap an I'm eventually locking the front and I'm still a little confused about the whole vacuum disconnect thing and making it a one piece shaft, I'll have to read up on it more or see it in person! I just can't wait to drive it around without worrying about anything and without doors :D

Got to test out my arms the other night! I really need a lengtend front shaft and longer brakelines, the front shaft fell out on a tipsy hill climb :eek:

Just a flex test on my neighbors driveway

And here's the only pic I have so far from a night trail ride, I could've fit another 33" tire in the wheel well jamminz.gif can't wait to see my truck at it's full potential

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a set crappy 33" all terrains to get me by until I can afford some real rubber, still need to get the front shaft lengthened, trim my front fenders even more and pickup some super duper extended brakelines then all should be good for awhile!

Miss driving my truck so much :( soon enough shell be on the road again

Jeeps back on the road!!!!! Wooohooo! Cutting the fenders some more today, maybe stopping by the driveshaft shop and getting a quote to get my front shaft lengthend. New 33s are going on Friday! Then I'll have some more pics up, going on a trailride Friday with a bunch of friends :)

• 2 weeks later...

Made a new front shaft, rebuilt my old double cardan and then cut apart 2 different shafts and made one good one :) pics to come shortly!

Best part was that it was all FREE!

Tested it out yesterday and it works great!

Also had a chance to take a quick trip through some trails by my house with a friend, I was leading and I saw him stop to go flex on the ledge to the right of his xj and I just kept chugging along and I waited at the trailhead about a football field ahead of him, I waited for a few mins and came back to him laying it on it's side so I pulled him back over and limped it home.

• 1 month later...

Re-wired my taillights today so now I have brakelights again! :wrench: had my whole fuse panel apart, lots of fun there, also bled the clutch, fixed my wiper sprayer motor and topped off all the fluids, still need to get 1ton steering and ball joints... It never ends!