Dirteatrs Thin Wallet Build... TRUGGY TIME

I'm pretty indecisive with this thing but I'm kinda going all out with this now.

The backhalf and cage is all 1.75/.120 DOM. Still have to tie it all together and finish plating the unibody. Eventually I'll pickup a 6.0/ 5.3 and swap it in.

My new front axle is a 02 Superduty D60 with Timkin Unit bearings bored out for 35spline outers and 8x6.5 bolt pattern.

Getting a ruffstuff diff cover, Redneck ram hydro assist, Passenger side High steer arm Milled into a stock knuckle and 5.38s and a spool

Rear is a 9" with a backbone truss and top truss for upper link mounts. Has D60 outers bored out for 35spline shafts. Also getting 5.43s and a spool.

14" 2.0 FOA Coilovers at all 4 corners

Doing a 3 link up front and a single triangulated 4 link rear

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I can't wait to get this one rolling and started on the next one! I still have a lot of tricks up my sleeve for this one that I can't wait to show off. I think it's going to be pretty sweet B)

My Dad isn't too fond of me chopping his beloved truck in half but he's also excited to see the outcome. I gave him my lowered 87 sportruck to cruise around in before I moved out so he can't be too mad :)

• 1 month later...

Made some progress in the last few weeks. Picked up some 39.5" Iroks and some H2 wheels to get me by for a little while. My front 3 link is built but needs to be finish welded and still need to add a lot more tube up front. I'm undecided if I want to dovenose the front yet. I'd like to keep it looking somewhat like a Comanche. Here's some random pics. My trackbar should be pretty damn close to level with the drag link and the bracket was made from some scraps laying around the shop and is getting more reinforcement.

• 1 month later...

Progress but not really progress. I got a tow pig and love it so far! 2001 2500 24v, Auto, 35s with a $#!& ton of goodies and new parts and has been very well taken care of. I'm currently saving for a built trans since it has 164k on the stock original trans :( 62mm turbo, 4" turbo back exhaust, Edge Tuner, Fass 150 fuel system, Industrial Injection 150hp Injectors for basics. I'm happy with it

For real progress I bought a set of thin LED headlights to help out with the Dovenose and might be getting some Superjoints for the SD60

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a JK30/44 for free last weekend from a buddy in moab, remember that Maroon 87 Laredo I have? I have just about everything to slap those axles under it and make it drivable besides shocks/ wheels and tires... I'll get some pics up whenever I swap them in

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I keep going back to look at YOUR BUILD THREAD ON PIRATE4X4 hoping for updates. For that matter, updates here would be kinda cool too... just sayin'.  :redX: Getting the itch for a new build of my own and (at the risk of stones being cast :peek: ) kind of like the idea of cutting a Comanche in half to build something special. So... what's new, Nick?

I bought a 30' gooseneck 2 weeks ago because I'm moving back to NY. My life's been a complete sh!tshow since July but I've made some progress, in all aspects. I just haven't had time to update anything! hopefully after this move I can get my life back on track again. I have an awesome job lined up and all of my friends and family waiting for me to come back so I'm excited. Things will get rolling on my jeep once I'm settled in because I REALLY need to go wheeling again. I went down to Sand Hollow state park in Southern Utah not too long ago for Trail Hero and had a good weekend in the sun and got to put some miles on my trailer to get a better feel for it.

I had some free time a couple weeks ago to put my front axle together with 35 spline outers and Yukon Drive flanges, cut down my front driveshaft to fit and had a rolling jeep again. I also cut up a not so pretty CJ tailgate for a tailgate skin and cut up a Longbed MJ bed for bedside skins. I never finished them or took any pics with them in place but they look bada55 B)

Somewhere between July and now my auto tranny went boom in my dodge so I bought a wrecked 97 12valve,NV4500 truck to swap the Nv4500 and anything else I needed into mine as I didn't have nearly enough money to pay for a built auto that would hold up. So I rebuilt the NV4500 myself and swapped it in. I also painted it purple because why not? Bye bye stupid slushbox

• 3 years later...

I’ve been meaning to post on here for quite some time, forgot my password to the email address I used to have for my login and just recently found it. I still have it, still collecting parts but I’ve made some more progress and acquired a lot of the expensive stuff. I’ve rebuilt everything on my Dodge in the last 4? Years except the trans that I built in my last reply :driving: I picked up some sticky BFG KR2s, Battleborn beadlocks, Installed a ruffstuff battery box in the back, some amazon special, utv rear lightbar, factory taillights, built a tailgate, motobilt 19 gal fuel cell after the jeep sitting for 2? Years and I couldn’t get it to run, threw a bunch of parts at it and my diag came down to the harness being messed up somewhere and I'm not dealing with it anymore. Currently have almost a complete LS swap in boxes:bananagun: Using a 6.0 from a 00’ truck, NV4500 and either an atlas or ecobox/D300. Using Novak mounts, headers and a 2core aluminum radiator that I found in the internet somewhere, I don’t remember the brand. Still have to order a custom harness and a Dorman LS2 intake. I have fox coilovers and bypasses waiting to go on, a full ultra4 4500 race style steering setup from Steerco. (Formerly AGR) Ported box, high flow pump, double ended ram, cooler and reservoir. Artec low profile truss and double ended ram mount, weld on high steer. The list can go on for awhile but I’m finally at a place in life where I can finally finish this thing lol. 

4CF57A32-2D80-41A7-8B32-0904797172B5.jpeg

7D397CF2-A019-4C92-8370-366895FFC2A3.jpeg

7FF2E620-8977-46D2-A67F-3B8B0E6CEBF8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone! More goodies showed up this week :bananagun:  I got a full steering setup from Josh @ Steerco. He made a custom box for me with a quicker ratio and is flow matched for the pump. Also got all 4 coilovers in today. Once I get the drivetrain in and most of the other parts mocked up I’ll weigh it and order the correct springs! I also picked up a Dana300 a couple weeks ago and started cleaning it up and prepping it for a HD 32spline output and new gaskets all around. 

2524254B-5000-4E84-848A-E4CA2F493B1E.jpeg

B4BC68C7-CB76-4539-B58A-75CC154FE5E4.jpeg

I never posted it but in between the last time I posted in 2016 and May of this year I bought a 06 LJ and built and sold that for some of the funds for Comanche parts :banana:I bought a pair of stock rubi44s from a friend and slapped on some trusses and put chromoly shafts in both axles. I also swapped in a rubicon express Y link kit and bellypan, I made a motor/trans skid plate that connected to the bellypan as well. Finished it off with a 4 link in the rear and artec relocation brackets for the coil springs. It performed very well on and offroad for a LJ on 37s but just wasn’t the same as wheelin a comanche.  

D86E5608-B27D-429F-8BA1-0E1FBBE0CC02.jpeg

D0369C93-294E-4923-A0EE-0B1CA7C8DD57.jpeg

927C752E-9B5C-400A-99F7-72381F1F239F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little progress last weekend, got the tired, non running 4.slow out, inner fenders cut out and started plating the inside of the frame and got the LS motor mounts in. Next is mounting the custom built AGR steering Box 2.5” forward of the stock location and moving the track bar bracket about 2” forward as well. Then I’ll get the LS mocked up and start with the front tube work :D

C6B8D17E-9B1E-43E9-907B-605D10F19FF3.jpeg

7771AF68-2349-4A8D-9427-128FFF676D10.jpeg

698F537A-0486-48FB-818E-658E50BEEAF3.jpeg