Receiver hitch

Since you have cad ability............

Design three plates.

One is the main support plate, the other is the spacer plate (similar to what I have mocked-up), the third is the receiver cross tube end plates.

The main plate is bolted to the cross tube plate and the stock bumper is bolted to the two plates using two of the same bolts.

The buyer will need to weld his own receiver to the cross tube and weld the cross tube to the end plates.

All you are selling is six plates.

Easy to produce........easy to ship...........no manufacturing........no liability.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Sent you a PM with my e-mail addy too. I use SolidWorks, which will import a .dwg as a 2D drawing, but it's probably going to be all kinds of messed up scale-wise, but we may get lucky.

Now, if only the "foe" function on this forum would also block quoted comments made by ignored user...

Who is on ignore? Me? :mad:

• 1 month later...

Does not show any actual hitches...at least not that I could find.

So back to the main thread here, I read the first 2 pages and the last 2 pages.

If people have the drawings of the side plates, are they available for sharing? I don't mind buying the universal Reese small/meduim pickup/SUV hitch (for $114), having the plates fabricated, and having them all bolted together on my '88, but the wait for someone to produce a finished product has gone on for quite some time now. I am not even sure whether the goal is a finished hitch or just adapter plates. I gave up reading after a while.

If anyone is willing to share their CAD or even raw drawing, I'll take it from there on my own. If people like the results and want to buy more, we can cross that bridge later.

If not, I get the feeling that I'll just buy the nate's 4x4 rear bumper and move on with life...

So back to the main thread here, I read the first 2 pages and the last 2 pages.

If people have the drawings of the side plates, are they available for sharing? I don't mind buying the universal Reese small/meduim pickup/SUV hitch (for $114), having the plates fabricated, and having them all bolted together on my '88, but the wait for someone to produce a finished product has gone on for quite some time now. I am not even sure whether the goal is a finished hitch or just adapter plates. I gave up reading after a while.

If anyone is willing to share their CAD or even raw drawing, I'll take it from there on my own. If people like the results and want to buy more, we can cross that bridge later.

CAD drawings of side plates have been made by a few independent people and shared/compared. I suggest reading the entire thread. I know it's cumbersome, but you'll be up to speed.

I have CAD files that were designed in SolidWorks. I can export to many formats, but you'll need to do the legwork to tell me what you need. My model is not complete and I know for a certainty that my hole spacing is off. In an effort to avoid an interference fit I made the holes oversized, which is a very poor way of correcting an uncertainty/error. I no longer have the equipment to continue with this venture, hence why I fell off the face of the Earth. Maybe one day I'll get it all back, but it won't be any time soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm going to be cutting a pair of these brackets out on my plasma table.

Is there anyone out there still looking for a set? 

I'll cut them for $50 +shipping. I can modify the file for welding or use with a universal bolt on cross member from a reese style hitch. 

Send me a PM with an address if you're interested. If you want a bolt on style you'll have to send me the distance and angle of your bolt holes.

I'll post a picture once I finish my set and have them mounted.

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone, this thread has been dead for a while, but I need your help.

I am in need of the latest CAD .dwg file for the Hitch Side Brackets.

Here is my journey in locating a Receiver Hitch for my 1990 Comanche SWD.

I found a used hitch and had it sandblasted and powdercoated before I tested it on my truck. Well, you guesed it, it was built for a long bed and will not fit on the short bed. It is very heavy duty and has seperate brackets that bolt to the side brackets and to the underside the frame. It is a Draw-Tite, but much heavier duty than the ones I have seen in the posts. So, I need to sell this one and fabricate a new one from scratch.

So, if you would kindly send me the .dwg file, I have a guy here locally that will provide plasma cut sides at $60.00 for the pair if I provide the CAD file.

Thank you,

Grant

There is no difference for the hitch -- the same hitch should fit a longbed and a shortbed.

If you have a hitch that uses separate mounting plates that mounts to the underside of the frame, you have a universal hitch, not a hitch that was made specifically for the MJ.

Fey bumper mount brackets will do the job. #97900

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.fey-bumper-mounting-kits/doapps.1/#apps

There is no difference for the hitch -- the same hitch should fit a longbed and a shortbed.

Hate to disagree Eagle, but I have both.  They are indeed different.  As are the OEM bumper brackets.

Disagree all you want, but the factory parts manuals do NOT show different bumper brackets for the longbed and shortbed. They do, however, show different brackets for the step bumper and for the factory tube bumper.

Curiously, I couldn't find any listing for trailer hitches.

I believe the difference is that the SWB brackets are notched to go around the shackle bolt/hanger.

If there were a difference, the parts manual would list separate part numbers for the LWB and SWB brackets.

I believe the difference is that the SWB brackets are notched to go around the shackle bolt/hanger.

If there were a difference, the parts manual would list separate part numbers for the LWB and SWB brackets.
Correct. I failed to state I was referencing the HITCH brackets, not the bumper brackets.

I am still looking for someone to share the CAD file so that I can have a couple of brackets cut. I intend to have the drawing modified to include the fourth bolt hole in the front of the bracket and enough material on the top of the bracket to have it bent at 90 degrees like the hitch I have. The hitch in the photo is made out of 1/4" plate and a bend in the top of the plate to increase the side movement. In my opinion, this is the strongest hitch design I have seen to date and I would like to duplicate it as best as I can along with cutting out the bottom to clear the Spring Perch.

It should also be noted that the hitch pictured for the LWB is 1/2" narrower than the SWB design.

So, if someone still has the file, please send it to me in .dwg and/or .dxf format.

Thanks,

Grant