Comanche of the Month, Jan 2011 --- $500MJ's 1988

Happy new year guys! Lets set the tone for this year by kicking it off with a spectacular member and his MJ!

---------JANUARY 2011 - $500 MJ's 1988 SWB------------

n6603948_31036950_694.jpg

MODEL AND YEAR

1988 SWB Base 2wd

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

4.0L Stock (Original to Truck), Custom Exhaust with Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler

DRIVETRAIN:

AX-15 (1989 YJ) - NP 231 (1990 MJ) w/ Advanced Apapters SYE (p/n 50-7096) - Dana 30 (1992 XJ) and Dana 44 (1987 XJ) - Both Open and 3.55 Gears

COOLING:

Stock Closed System

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

Stock Renix System

STEERING:

Swapped in Stock MJ Tilt Column, Borgeson HD Steering Shaft (p/n 000893), Stock MJ Steering Box, Stock MJ Tierods with BDS Suspension Steering Stabilizer, HD Rubicon Express Trackbar, Bracket and Brace (p/n RE-1660, RE-1665 & RE-1670)

SUSPENSION:

Front: 3.5" Rubicon Express XJ Coils (p/n RE-1300) with 2" Homemade Spacers, Rusty's Offroad Shocks, Clayton Offroad XJ Longarm Kit (Modified)

Rear: Rusty's Offroad 4" MJ Leaf Spring Packs (p/n RC-LS450-MJ) with the lowest leaf swapped out with the stock MJ overload leaf and Homemade 1.75" Lift Shackles, Rusty's Offroad Shocks

INTERIOR:

Swapped in Gray MJ Eliminator Buckets and Center Console, and Full Gauge Cluster. Installed a Cobra CB.

BRAKES:

I've removed the MJ load-sensing valve in the rear and re-plumbed the brake lines through the stock proportioning valve.

Front Brakes: Stock Dana 30 disc brakes

Rear Brakes: '98 ZJ Dana 35 disc brakes that I adapted to the XJ Dana 44.

LIGHTING:

Stock.

WHEELS/TIRES:

Tires: Yokohama Geolander AT+II 33/12.5/R15

Wheels: Eagle Alloy 15"x10" Series 187 (p/n 1857-1912)

BUMPERS:

Front: JCR Offroad XJ Stage 4 (p/n 1XJFST4)

Rear: The Original "$500 MJ" Rear Bumper - made to match the JCR Offroad one before they started selling them

PAINT:

Chrysler Electric Blue Pearlcoat (2003 Color)

MISCELLANEOUS:

I won't lie, this MJ is currently under the knife. I started working on it this summer and I still have not buttoned it up completely. I am planning on having it ready for my wedding this summer to use as my getaway vehicle, its not far from being drivable again right now.

I've got some good long term goals that I am starting to collect parts for. The truck will someday be setup with 4.56 gears and OX lockers in each axle. I will be installing JCR Offroad 1-ton OTK steering and revisiting my suspension setup to tweak it more to my liking at that time. The transmission is going to be swapped out with a '98 TJ External Slave version and a Center Force clutch will be installed then as well. I'd like to upgrade the headlights later down the road too, someday.

Best MJ story

This truck has NEVER left me stranded. I pulled it out from sitting beside a shop for 5 years the first time I drove it. Since then, I have driven it over 450 miles in a day many times, and it just keeps going. I have stored the MJ in the woods or worked on it all summer long in years past, each fall I could count on it to start up and go, anywhere and at anytime.

What owner loves best about CC

The Comanche Club is a great place. I enjoy watching other member's builds and the friendly banter we throw around all the time in the Pub. I've met many great people through the common interest we share in these darn trucks and we all seem to have one or a few other things in common.

Its just a great place, there are so many things that this forum does that sets it above others.

So, Here are some shots of the truck's progression:

n6603948_30567099_8294.jpg

5-13-06 The day I bought it.

n6603948_30585269_9384.jpg

Some snow wheeling after 4x4 conversion and first lift

n6603948_30651348_1940.jpg

Second lift and new wheels/tires

n6603948_30722688_3278.jpg

n6603948_30730352_1110.jpg

Yes, the truck has been dirty, many times back when it wore its old paint... :roll:

Things changed in 2007...

n6603948_30834525_1368.jpg

n6603948_30863154_9947.jpg

n6603948_30950252_499.jpg

As it sits today:

20279_557041736797_6603948_32585043_4142591_n.jpg

Thanks Guys, All the best - Brent

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brent, that's one gorgeous looking MJ. Not only have you made your truck what it is today, but you are one hell of a member. You have detailed plans on how to make your famous bumpers, walk throughs on how you did things on your truck, and we all know how quick you are to step in to help a member in need. You made the moderators decision easy on this one. Now bask in the glory!

Congratulations Brent!

Rob L. :cheers:

Big Thanks to Everyone for the nice comments. I'm very happy with how the truck turned out so far and I'm even happier that I found CC from the get go way back when this project started. I've learned so much from being involved here and I've met lots of good people along the way.

I want mine to look like yours

Do you wanna trade MJ's?

It's taken me quite a bit of time and money to get it to how it is now. To sell it at this point would be a huge loss, I could never replace it with the amount of time and money that I've put into it, and no-one would pay me the amount of money that it is worth to me. Trading really isn't an option either, I've got another stock MJ that gets the tap for all of the parts running and daily driving.

So I guess I'll have to keep it. ;)

Big Thanks to Everyone for the nice comments. I'm very happy with how the truck turned out so far and I'm even happier that I found CC from the get go way back when this project started. I've learned so much from being involved here and I've met lots of good people along the way.

I want mine to look like yours

Do you wanna trade MJ's?

It's taken me quite a bit of time and money to get it to how it is now. To sell it at this point would be a huge loss, I could never replace it with the amount of time and money that I've put into it, and no-one would pay me the amount of money that it is worth to me. Trading really isn't an option either, I've got another stock MJ that gets the tap for all of the parts running and daily driving.

So I guess I'll have to keep it. ;)

Brent I was just messing with you but it is beautiful

It rubs. I've got lots of 1/8" deep slices in my tires from the tires being forced into the fenders. The rear is the worst, but I've decided long ago that I won't cut the steel to solve the problem, rather I'll find some other solution. Still working on that, with how I drive it and the few times that I flex it out and get in that situation though, its no big deal to me now.

I did bolt some hockey pucks on the front axle to help with the bump-stops, the rear is still the stock setup.

• kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic