WJ Booster and Master Cylinder Upgrade

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok thanks man! :cheers: I'm gonna call near by junkyard to see if they have. i know one little far place has plenty zj and xj tho.

found a junkyard same one that i got proportioning valve for good price. 65 dollars for booster, mc and front sway bar

• 2 weeks later...
I used a 5/8" bit with a 1/2" base (part that goes in the drill), or you could use a uni-bit as long as it goes up to 5/8".

uni-bit sound alot easier for me. thanks for help! :wrench:

i can't find 5/8 " with small base around me. i can try next time if uni-bit fail.

Edit: got uni bit and hopefully it's work when I try it tomorrow :wrench:

• 2 weeks later...

i just finish installed booster and m/c no problem. but... I have one issue right now... brake switch. the brake light is stay on while plugged connector on the switch.

i drilled 5/8 on rod perfect. no end play, seat perfect and tight.

is it might be cause from bolt on switch begin too tight? :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
excellent write-up.thank you. i just happen to have a 95 parts xj so I'm looking forward to seeing how this works. looks identical to the wj one that was shown.

-- so i have the stuff sitting on my workbench, took everything out in one unit all from my 95 parts xj. and what I'm thinkin is, since i don't have the proportioning valve in the back anymore, is that i may as well use the xj distribution block too while I'm there. ive seen the write up on how to re-plumb it and apparently that is the way to go when you've eliminated the proportioning valve.

(i was reminded of this yesterday during sudden hard-braking when the rears wanted to lock up before the fronts.)

Eagle is the expert on the proportioning valves, maybe he'll chime in. I'm not sure what the difference in f:r ratio is between the XJ and MJ blocks are. But when you say "replumb" do you mean simply replacing the MJ unit with the XJ unit or removing the O ring inside the valve like in the Lunghd article: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Sus ... ve_Mod.htm. Because this would actually increase your braking pressure in the rear.

• 3 months later...
Just an FYI, but you can NOT use these compression type fittings on brake lines!]

This is why I hate my work sometimes. My boss and my brilliant coworker installed these on one of our detectives cars. Try as I might, there are somethings that they just don't understand.

Just today I had to down a primary squad because I had found the L/F caliper hose twisted because someone rotated the caliper and put it back on while doing a brake job. The tire and rim were rubbing it at full lock. All the outside of the flex line was ground off, and it was down to the frayed inner braids. After describing this to my cohort, I just got a deer in the headlights look, and "Front or rear?"

Be news to me that we had rear steer cruisers.

Rob :wall:

I admint that I'm using those compression union at work and it work fine for me tho? I Never had problems with it at all? :dunno:

It's all good until you really need them one day and that union blows off at the most inopportune time for it to.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Just did this.. Only one problem.. I grinded the switch down, and when I installed it the brakes won't come on. If I move it down a little on the knob by the pedal, they will stay on but go off in 5 seconds. I don't know what to do.

Just did this.. Only one problem.. I grinded the switch down, and when I installed it the brakes won't come on. If I move it down a little on the knob by the pedal, they will stay on but go off in 5 seconds. I don't know what to do.

did u grinded the rod for the switch not the switch it self?