Turn Signal Socket Replacement

Well, it seems that in the past week I have seen many others with problems like mine. Either no working turn signals, the blinker light stays on, whatever it it related to lights up front this simple and easy swap can make that all go away.

First you are going to need a Dorman P/N 84716 (looks a little like this)

After you have that you going to need a wire stripper/cutter/crimper.

When I did this i took the whole front header panel off and disconnected the turn signal and headlight wiring harness. Although, it can be done by just removing the headlight bezel on the bad side with some screws. 2 in the orange side marker and two or three in the actual bezel (mine only had two but looked like one had been broken off before)

After removing the bezel you are left with the rectangular turn signal. Simply unscrew the screws one on either side and pull it out just far enough to reach in there and turn the socket to come out of the housing. After this is done, take your wire cutters and cut just behind the black rubber bushings on the old/bad socket.

After that is complete Strip the wires (18 gauge) and match them accordingly. New BLUE to old GREY. New BROWN to old BLUE. And New Black to old Black. after that is said and done crimp the wires using the supplied wire connectors and put a bulb in for a test run. If everything checks out fine and all is good, I recomemnd that you wrap the crimped wires with some eletrical tape to help them last longer.

And you should be all good. Hope this helps guys. Wish I had more pics but I am stuck at work until about 12 today so I may post more pics afterwards.

Thanks

Devin

Just what I was looking for. Thought I was going to have to search all the wiring to find a bad ground. Will do this first to see if it fixes the problem. Now to find replacement screws for the ones the heads broke off of :doh:

So this is the fix for the turn signal indicator in the cluster staying lit all the time? Whenever the headlights or running lights are on the LH turn signal indicator stays lit. Also the LH turn signal under the headlight is only 1/2 the intensity of the RH one.

That is what mine was doing exactly. Replacing the socket fixed it.

• 2 months later...
So this is the fix for the turn signal indicator in the cluster staying lit all the time? Whenever the headlights or running lights are on the LH turn signal indicator stays lit. Also the LH turn signal under the headlight is only 1/2 the intensity of the RH one.

That is what mine was doing exactly. Replacing the socket fixed it.

What did the socket cost you? Local Carquest wanted $21.15 for one. :mad: Has to be a bad price!!!!

Found on internet for $3.99 + shipping. Who knows how many they have for that cost. Ordered 3, just in case. :thumbsup:

What did the socket cost you? Local Carquest wanted $21.15 for one. :mad: Has to be a bad price!!!!

Found on internet for $3.99 + shipping. Who knows how many they have for that cost. Ordered 3, just in case. :thumbsup:

Mine was about $8 at Oreilly. There was another one there that would've worked, but the wire colors were different... same price though.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut out a couple sockets from an xj in the salvage yard to replace the rusted ones that came with my mj that wouldn't turn on. after splicing them on the problem was fixed. If you have a bad ground, it's not hard to locate. Go to harbor freight and get a cheap multimeter, cut the wires from the socket, trace the wires to where the harness ends at a connector, run a continuity check to distinguish which wires are which, and then test the voltage, and ohms to a good ground compare results to a turn signal that is functioning correctly. I'm a helicopter electrician, most of my job consist of doing the same thing, except with bigger wire bundles lol

The last time I was working on my front turn signal sockets, I came across this helpful article. This article describes how the side marker lights on the XJ/MJ can be easily rewired so that they too act as turn signals.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/TECHNICAL.htm - click on the electrical tab.

Now I need to go back in there and replace my socket on the drivers side and/or track down the ground problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

So I am going to revive a dead topic here...

So I had the same issue listed above where it was super dim and the lights came on in the dash when you turn the lights on. So I replaced the passenger side socket and now its bright and beautiful and flashes all nice! Then I kicked the headlights on. the light on the dash comes on still and now it won't even flash on that side. Would replacing the other socket (pulled that one and its in decent shape, not great, but decent) fix the issue? 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm wondering if the layout of wires changed on these. I recently bought the Dorman socket as well and when wired the way the post suggests I get a parking light but no blinker. Before my parking light and blinker worked, but the dash light would stay on if the lights were on. The dash light no longer illuminates when the lights are on, but I don't get a blink out of either side now.

EDIT: After comparing my new socket to the photo above my blue and brown were swapped oddly enough.

• 2 months later...

So i'm thinking of doing this socket replacement. My blinkers don't even come on and no hazards. Occasionally if the headlights are on the left indicator on the inside shows up solid. There is power to the socket and I'm using brand new bulbs (2057A) but they when bulb is placed in socket I get no light or blinkers. I've checked my fuse (turn signal/backup) in the fuse box under the dash and swapped out the blinker/hazard fuses. So what do you guys think is my problem?

• 2 months later...

So i'm thinking of doing this socket replacement. My blinkers don't even come on and no hazards. Occasionally if the headlights are on the left indicator on the inside shows up solid. There is power to the socket and I'm using brand new bulbs (2057A) but they when bulb is placed in socket I get no light or blinkers. I've checked my fuse (turn signal/backup) in the fuse box under the dash and swapped out the blinker/hazard fuses. So what do you guys think is my problem?

could be like what i ran into, I had bad sockets coupled with some bad grounding. I wound up pulling the loom out in the front and checking each wire and found some very poorly shielded ground wires. I have the schematics for the wiring of the front if you want me to scan it. though i am sure there are some folks here that have it already on hand :).