The American Motors Corporation's truck's . . .

AMC-MJ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After owning a 2.5ton I highly suggest the 5ton trucks they are adaptable and update able everything bolts right up.

Every thing interchanges with modern commercial trucks.

Mike

I have a line on a m715 and I hope I can get it.... I just want to ad it to the yard. 4 j10s, 3 waggys, 7 mj's, willys pick-up, cj's xj's you know it will look good in the pics...lol

anyone see this

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/ ... artist.jpg

not sure what it is I saw it on an other site where the guy was asking j10 questions.... he posted the link.. I ask if its from a beb site but he has not posted yet..

I hope to go to the gov action this fall and pick up the Canadian 6x6.. I real would like to bob one after looking into it.. and seeing some pic's or buy one that hte engine is out of and the body is rusted out so I can use the rockwells under one of the j10's and make my own m715 creation...

WOW that thing is ugly! Looks like somethingk that would kome drivingk out of old Soviet Unionk.

WTF IS that? Some sort of horrible demented concept vehicle?

It looks like an XK, an M715, a Hummer, and some modern pickup (early 00s Ford Explorer SUT?) had a terrible accident.

Notice the AMC logo by the AM General ?

Yep,

because AMC created AM General.

Quick & sloppy history:

Studebaker made military trucks.

Studebaker went belly up.

Studebaker gave Kaiser it's military truck plant & contracts for a song.

Kaiser made this a division of itself called "Defense and Government Products Division" (creative, I know ;) ).

AMC bought Jeep

AMC separated 'DGPD' even further, by creating the "AM General Corporation"

Renault bought a majority share of AMC

Renault was partially owned by the French Government then (France had taken ownership, and nationalized Renault after WWII)

A foreign country (France) could not own a corporation with government contracts (atleast back then, who knows now)

AMC sold off AM General to make the feds happy.

AM General is still making military trucks.

Cliff notes:

M-715's were made ~1967-69,

AM General did not exist as a corporation till after AMC bought Jeep in 1970

bam

MY DREAM TRUCK! I WILL have one someday. Prices are still pretty cheap, relatively speaking of course.

15 years ago there was a half dozen of these in the Want-Ad,

and even one at my corner gas station for sale,

going rate, in running condition was ~$500.

I looked at a few, then other things came up before I found the *right* one.

:doh:

see, that's not how you're supposed to do it. You're supposed to buy the first one you see, and then start looking for better ones. :yes:

I should have done that.

I was daily driving a 73 J4000 back then (granny 4spd, 4.10's & 4 wheel drums),

about the only thing worse for a daily driver would've been an M-715 (granny 4spd 5.89's & 4 wheel drums),

so I was trying to find one I could actually drive.

When they jumped to $1500-2000+ I said "I'm not gonna pay that much" :doh:

Plus by then I had started 'collecting' XJ's & MJ's. :fool:

WOW that thing is ugly! Looks like somethingk that would kome drivingk out of old Soviet Unionk.

WTF IS that? Some sort of horrible demented concept vehicle?

It looks like an XK, an M715, a Hummer, and some modern pickup (early 00s Ford Explorer SUT?) had a terrible accident.

The pic says 'chopartist' on it, so I guess it's a chop.

Looks kind of like a foreign J-truck attempt gone horribly wrong.

Yup its a hideous beast, but I bet out of all the Jeep pickups that would the one Cryco would try out :yes: :rotfl2: :rotf: :shake: :hmm:

I would drive it only because its a PU that says "Jeep" :thumbsup: and it would keep my MJ out of the salt during winter ;)

Mike

So then did AMC do some double dipping ? Cause AMC jeep and AMC General were producing 2.5 and 5ton trucks at the same time up about 1982ish when AMG did to totale remodel of the 5ton for 83+ the Jeep body style 2.5 n 5 tons ran till 92' the AMG went till 99'/01' ish . . . Then they droprd to light humvee prodction.

Mike

You did that because instead of buying special order split rim tune type tires of which nobody stocks don't blow one out lol

You can simply swap on a set of 11R24.5s from a junk semi and have a cheaper safer always in stock wheel/tire combo and nice S cam airbrakes instead of hydrolic weak ya may stop ya may not breaks.

Oh all your engine and drive train parts are instock and interchangable with regisle commercial trucks.

If ya wanna swap out your 250 cummins / 5spd for a 400 cummins/ 7-9spd trans with 12R24.5 tires your 5ton now dose 65mph all day long !

Now the M900s already run 65mph and have automatics even.

That's why you went to a 5ton that and 2.5tons are doggy and you can't do much to them without it being a cut chop weld project the 5ton is a bolt up n go !

Mike

You did that because instead of buying special order split rim tune type tires of which nobody stocks don't blow one out lol

You can simply swap on a set of 11R24.5s from a junk semi and have a cheaper safer always in stock wheel/tire combo and nice S cam airbrakes instead of hydrolic weak ya may stop ya may not breaks.

Oh all your engine and drive train parts are instock and interchangable with regisle commercial trucks.

If ya wanna swap out your 250 cummins / 5spd for a 400 cummins/ 7-9spd trans with 12R24.5 tires your 5ton now dose 65mph all day long !

Now the M900s already run 65mph and have automatics even.

That's why you went to a 5ton that and 2.5tons are doggy and you can't do much to them without it being a cut chop weld project the 5ton is a bolt up n go !

Mike

That, plus it's got a 14 foot bed... which *might* fit the MJ in the back!

If the guy accepts my offer (or we settle on another mutually acceptable counter-offer) I will be driving ten hours to southwest PA with a friend, getting it running (he says it ran great last time he had it going but it's been a few years) then driving both vehicles back. Should be a heck of an adventure.

The beauti of Mil-Spec truck is they are more appted to run after sitting a long time versus a civillian truck.

I'd the truck fires up and runs for 30Min it'll drive around the world.

Mike

5ton tractor dressed up:

all of this can be done with the Jeep body style 5ton as well, the 10 lug axles are the same bolt pattern as semi truck, the 2.5Ton only has 6 lug axles making wheel/tire combo's limited and costly to get . . .

jamminz.gif 5ton's :thumbsup:

Mike

So then did AMC do some double dipping ? Cause AMC jeep and AMC General were producing 2.5 and 5ton trucks at the same time up about 1982ish when AMG did to totale remodel of the 5ton for 83+ the Jeep body style 2.5 n 5 tons ran till 92' the AMG went till 99'/01' ish . . . Then they droprd to light humvee prodction.

Mike

No... AM General was spun off in 1981 as part of the conditions set by Dept. of Justice for Renault buying 49% of of AMC.

Just like Chrysler having to sell off their most profitable division(defense products), AMC was forced to part with the one portion of the company actually making money to get the investment. If things had turned out differently...Modern day Chrysler would have had the M-1 Abrams tank program and the HMMWV programs in their defense products line up. That would have been a real game changer economically. Lee Iaccoa at the time said that if he had to do it over, he would have taken Chrysler into bankruptcy and kept the defense products division and the $50 million a year in guaranteed profit it yielded at the time.

No... AM General was spun off in 1981 as part of the conditions set by Dept. of Justice for Renault buying 49% of of AMC.

Just like Chrysler having to sell off their most profitable division(defense products), AMC was forced to part with the one portion of the company actually making money to get the investment.

AM-G company history 1903-present:

http://www.amgeneral.com/corporate/history.php

In 1963, Willys Motors was renamed the Kaiser Jeep Corporation.

Kaiser Jeep purchases Studebaker facilities.

Early 1964 marked a significant milestone in the company's history when the Kaiser Jeep Corporation purchased the Studebaker Corporation manufacturing facilities on Chippewa Avenue in South Bend, Ind. Over the next 25 years, the Chippewa facility was to produce nearly 112,000 5-ton and 150,000 2 1/2-ton trucks for the armed forces of the free world.

In 1967, Kaiser Jeep Corporation formed a special division devoted exclusively to the research, development and production of government vehicles. The Defense and Government Products Division was a direct organizational forerunner of AM General.

In 1967, the company was awarded a contract by the U.S. Post Office for the production of the 1/4-ton DJ-5 Dispatcher. The U.S. Postal Service, police departments, utility companies and small package delivery firms used this rugged and durable delivery vehicle. Over 150,000 Dispatchers were produced.

In 1970, American Motors Corporation purchased the Kaiser Jeep Corporation from Kaiser Industries.

AM General incorporates.

On April 1, 1971, AM General Corporation was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of the American Motors Corporation and separate from the Jeep Corporation. This move was initiated to give independent status to AM General to fulfill the special transportation requirements of the U.S. Government and pursue further diversification.

Responding to the need for increased mobility in the military, AM General developed and patented the Central Tire Inflation System (CTI) to be used on the M809 and M939 5-ton trucks. The CTI featured driver-activated dashboard controls that altered tire pressure to suit terrain conditions while the vehicle was in motion. The CTI improved vehicle-towing capability and contributed to longer vehicle life and lower life-cycle cost.

In 1983, the LTV Corporation bought AM General from American Motors Corporation and established it as a wholly owned subsidiary of the LTV Aerospace and Defense Company.

In 1984, the AM General headquarters moved from the American Motors AMTEK Building to Livonia, Mich. and two years later to South Bend, Ind. where the primary manufacturing operations were located.

This is what i found . . .

Mike

The beauti of Mil-Spec truck is they are more appted to run after sitting a long time versus a civillian truck.

I'd the truck fires up and runs for 30Min it'll drive around the world.

Mike

Friend of mine is test driving the 5 ton RIGHT NOW, says it started up on the first crank and is driving great.

Looks like I'm about to buy the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned... 2500 bucks for it, spent 2400 on my rust bucket 96 XJ that I should not have paid more than 1k for.

This is gonna be AWESOME! jamminz.gif