Exotic Car Spotters Thread

AMCJeepMJ

On 10/14/2017 at 11:17 PM, Keyav8r said:

dasbulliwagen - Was the key left out of the pulley at assembly or is the crank pulley not keyed at all?  If not keyed, is it a press or taper fit?

Trying to understand why they would build a 700-800 HP engine without a secure drive for the supercharger and accessories!

Its not keyed from the factory, just a press fit and torqued to 243 ft/lbs. Aftermarket performance companies that add power to these add keys in order to avoid this, not sure why the factory didnt do it.

Well, you’ve got the cost of the extra machining operation on the crank, the labor cost to install the key, the cost of carrying the key in inventory, and the actual cost of the key.  Probably saved $6 or $7 per car.

Of course, if you add in the warranty cost to repair the damage caused by the crank pulley coming loose on a few cars it wipes out any “cost savings” for the whole production run.

I assume that warranty costs aren’t included in the calculation of the CEO’s annual bonus for cutting production cost.

• 2 months later...

Spotted a very rare car yesterday driving home on the 52 freeway.  

A green Lamborghini 350 GT with original mid 60's black California plates. Did not manage a picture, unfortunately. Looked like he was out for a test drive.  I followed the car for 6 miles, then he got off the freeway and back on going west.  The V-12 was burning some oil on the right bank.  But the left bank was running clean.

According to Wikipedia, only 120 of these were ever made.  A very nice looking two seater that looked good, but not exotic like later Lamborghinis.

I actually drove (meaning parked and filled with gas) a Lamborghini 400 GT in 1968 when I was 20 years old in 1968, working in Beverly Hills.

Pete,

That is exactly right, down to the exact color!! 

Suspect the car lives in La Jolla, since the 52 Freeway starts there and ends in my neighborhood.  Lots of exotic cars in La Jolla.  Maybe it was getting warmed up for the La Jolla Concours in March?

On 7/25/2010 at 8:44 PM, dasbulliwagen said:

Yeah, pics would be great, but thats not always possible, especially if the car is going the opposite direction from you, which is how you would usually see a car like that. :fool:

All I usually see is their taillights ... after they blast by me at twice the speed of sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was going to have you name the musician's car but that would be too easy.  I was admiring the Range Rover with all the bells and whistles that I didn't even notice the Maserati until I came back out.  I couldn't believe how far he/she stayed away from the parking curb, had the front end sticking out like it was a early 70's Caddy.  

Buck.  20160627_194128.jpg.03c6cebcc306ba1c95ab4277894afe55.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...