Wanting metal Tail light boxes? Possible group buy?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you'll excuse my Atari 2600 style 'paint' skilz,

a longbed version of the wraparounds could be made by just deleting the wheelwell cutout on a SWB version:

I've seen Scramblers with corner guards that end like this, and they look fine.

As far as buying vs making,

I've made some 1/2 way decent stuff, but without a decent brake, there's zero chance I could make tail light boxes that I'd actually want to put on my Jeep.

Still in for one set :D

We use a $30k CNC Plasma to cut the parts and a $36k 60 ton CNC brake press to build these things. They are far from chintzy and built high quality. $145 a pair is CHEAP for what we have into building them. However, I was thinking about doing this as a favor to the MJ community. No one else is making stuff for ya! It's no sweet off our backs if you guys don't want them jamminz.gif

We use a $30k CNC Plasma to cut the parts and a $36k 60 ton CNC brake press to build these things. They are far from chintzy and built high quality. $145 a pair is CHEAP for what we have into building them. However, I was thinking about doing this as a favor to the MJ community. No one else is making stuff for ya! It's no sweet off our backs if you guys don't want them jamminz.gif

Still in for one set :D

:thumbsup:

I am still game.... but I would really love it to be QTR guards as well.

You never answered weather or not they would be rounded or squared off? Also how thick will they be?

Also please forgive me cheap mj brethren. I think most forget that your are in the buisness to make money. I am not sure if some of the ppl on here are aware of the expense that goes into R&D and overhead.

I think what you are trying to do for this niche market is great.

Also please forgive me cheap mj brethren. I think most forget that your are in the buisness to make money. I am not sure if some of the ppl on here are aware of the expense that goes into R&D and overhead.

I think what you are trying to do for this niche market is great.

:agree:

Most people don't realize that with cost of material and labor, what a good deal these really are.

I'd have to assume they won't be boxy and will be curved like the factory tail lights, correct?

That said...the bend will be MUCH better quality than the bends I will be making free hand with a torch and a BFH to bend them...so, frankly, I'm willing to pay for a set for the simple fact that it will save me time.

I can save up money...I can't save up time. It's the one thing I have no control over.

Never meant to say these weren't a great deal. I know I could NEVER make anything that nice for even close to $145.

For me, it's just a matter of not being able to justify spending that kind of dough on a truck that isn't worth more than 2500 bucks :dunno:

I think it's great that these are being offered for those guys looking to build nice trail trucks, but mine is far from it! I do appreciate what you guys are doing for the MJ guys who have been looking for these for awhile.

yep, jeep people are cheap and think they can do it all, and when they can't do it, it should be really cheap :rotf: , and comanche owners are at the bottom :banana:

yep, jeep people are cheap and think they can do it all, and when they can't do it, it should be really cheap :rotf: , and comanche owners are at the bottom :banana:

Then I guess we should be proud, carrying on the fine tradition of 'Rambler Mentality" to the next generation.

Rambler Mentality goes something like this:

You have a nearly mint, original 59 Rambler.

A single piece of trim that hasn't been made in 50 years, and only fits your particular year & model Rambler is missing, or mangled on your otherwise fine example of an automobile.

After owning the car for 30 years, you go to a show, find the exact right trim that you need,

then don't buy it because the guy wants $14 for it. :rotfl2:

Then I guess we should be proud, carrying on the fine tradition of 'Rambler Mentality" to the next generation.

A single piece of trim that hasn't been made in 50 years, and only fits your particular year & model Rambler is missing, or mangled on your otherwise fine example of an automobile.

After owning the car for 30 years, you go to a show, find the exact right trim that you need,

and then to make it jeep you jam a peice from some other vehicle that doesn't fit in its place making it look like a$$ :rotfl2:

and then to make it jeep you jam a peice from some other vehicle that doesn't fit in its place making it look like a$$ :rotfl2:

Ding! :yes:

I won't make and sell something that is not good looking. If I can't find a way to match the body lines in an acceptable manor, we won't make them. We don't have the cability to make a 6" radius, so it will have to be a combination of bends to get close to the body line. I have some ideas, and looks like it might end up with oval lights instead of the 4" rounds (like our 97up XJ tail lights).

Few details:

They would be made out of 1/8" steel. Made in a two piece design that would utilize the factory mounts.

The lights will be readily available truck style lights. The orientation is yet to be determined.