1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

Well, I finally got the center channel up. I'll probably just cut it about 2/3 of the way back cause the back of the cab is in pretty good shape. Here is what was waiting for me underneath:

Here's a shot of the '95 AX-15 and NP231:

After swapping a Dana 35 from another Comanche I would do a Chryo 8.25 anyday. Yes you have to weld the perches on, but you get a way stronger axle. I had to have U-bolts custom made because no one carried 9/16" stock. It wasn't any cheaper, but it was a hassle. The 8.25 has a much larger axle tube and a stronger gear set. Plus the axles can be removed to do the wheel seals. The dana 35 you have to press the bearings off to change the seals meaning you have to buy all bearings races and seals. Not money well spent, I just cleaned mine up and are hoping for the best. If they leak I am changing my axle again and not putting a dime into it. Good luck on the build, I am jealous on the trans, I am still looking for another 5 speed donar to pull one off of.

The floor is on the back burner for now until I can get a little welding help, so I decided to tackle something else. I got my new header painted and on the Jeep. It had all the chrome trim, so I thought I'd try it out for a while.

Please forgive the dying holly bush.

I pulled the bumper and started stripping the chipped/flaking paint so I can paint it again. After that, I'll tackle the flares.

Slight progress. I got the bumper and the flares painted. Here's a lousy picture:

The flares weren't removed before the truck was repainted. In fact, I don't think anything was removed - flares, bumpers, antenna, cab vents, etc. I pulled the mismatched passenger mirror. The screws were rusted and I had to drill them out. I wasn't sure how the mirror mounted so I pulled the door panel to see if there were screws on the back side. There weren't any, but I did find the original build sheet attached to the back of the door panel. Its in remarkably good shape except for the two holes from the arm rest.

I went to Pull a Part in Charlotte today. They finally got a Comanche, so I went in the snow and pulled a couple things. I got the tailgate (some dents, but its in decent shape), headliner, sunvisors, cab vents, tail lights, b-pillar interior lights, rear cab carpet panel thing and the silver dash over lay piece. I'll compare this tailgate to mine and keep the best; same for the tail lights.

If anyone else wants to go look at it, I'll save you some trouble and give you some details:

1989 pioneer, long bed, 4wd, auto, red interior, bench seat. It doesn't have the header panel or front bumper. Fenders were in good shape from what I can remember. The bed was a little banged up, but I didn't see any rust (it has a drop in bedliner). It looks to have a factory rear sliding window, but I think the latch may be broken. Rear dana 35, not sure on the ratio. No one may care, but since they're rather hard to come by around here I thought I give everyone a heads up, just in case.

I got a new oil pressure switch from Autozone and my new temp sensor will be in tomorrow, so hopefully I can complete my gauge cluster swap.

I've gotten a little work done this weekend. I disassembled my driver side seat, scrubbed it, washed it, painted the frame and now I'm just waiting on the cushions to dry to reassemble. Pictures on that soon.

I tackled the nasty door panels too. Here is the passenger driver door that I haven't done yet:

and here is the passenger side disassembled:

And here is the passenger side all done after cleaning and dying:

I also got my new gauge cluster ready to go back in:

I got my new temperature and oil pressure sending units in today in preparation for the new gauge cluster. Should have been much easier than it was.

Mine didn't look like this:

Mine was probably rotated 30° ccw so that the oil filter prevented me from putting the new one on. So, I had to take the distributor off and back that plug off about 3/4 of a turn so I could put the new on one. Not difficult, but annoying. Oh and I'm not exactly sure how the old idiot light works, but mine surely didn't because it was unplugged.

As I'm planning my interior, I'd like to have a center console. My brother has one of these in his YJ and its a really nice unit.

30818-md.jpg

Anybody had any experience trying to install something like this? I know it probably won't fit flush against the floor, but if its between my bucket seats, it may not matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the floor has been trimmed and the new pan is going in tomorrow morning. Here's one last shot of the Flintstone mobile:

I decided to go ahead and start upgrading my audio, so I ordered some new speakers. Pioneer TS-A4672R & TS-D502P:

I hooked them up and with the factory stereo, they kinda sounded like garbage. So, I'm going to order a new head unit tonight.

Oh, I sold my car (extra cash for the MJ), but they guy paid me in $100s and a TJ:

I'll be fixing this one up and reselling it so I'll have more money for the MJ and my other TJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow. A little more work has been done on the floor, but its still not done (I need to learn to weld....). The headliner and visors have been recovered (not installed yet). I got a new slider for the back and pulled a couple things from the junkyard (transfer case linkage and front drive shaft for the 4wd swap mainly). Speaking of.. I'm moving forward with the swap. I'll be ordering my axles this week '96-99 HP Dana 30 and '97-'01 8.25 with 3.55 gearing.

I also plan on ordering my lift this week too (I'll install it when I swap axles). Right now its looking like Hell Creek's full 3" kit with lower control arms. Anything else I should get? Adjustable trackbar maybe, suggestions? This is going to be a DD with very little trail usage.

I'm also planning on new wheels and tires. 31x10.50 all terrains (probably) or mud terrains (haven't decided) and 15x8 wheels, leaning toward 3.75" back spacing so they'll stick out some (I hate the look of wheels tucked real far under the flares, like my stock wheels).

Comments/suggestions?

I just realized that I have the last 11 posts in this thread. I must be the only one reading it :wavey:

nice truck, i'm a fan of those wheels to, i may be the only one. but they look cool in restored condition.
He not the only one that is a fan of the turbine wheels. I think they look great restored and/or painted.

on one of your pictures of the passenger side floor it looks like paint got a little discolored from heat. you may want to check if the cat heat shield is still there.

I just realized that I have the last 11 posts in this thread. I must be the only one reading it :wavey:

Actually I have been watching it very closely!! Our trucks are both base models and I want to do many of the same things that you are doing: axle swap, small lift, and 31's. My truck is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18332&hilit=90+base+4x4+longbed

Wondering the same thing you did - better to look for a Dana 44 out of a Comanche or Cherokee, or just go with an 8.25 for a DD and very mild wheeler. Money became an issue for awhile so my build slowed and I'm just driving the wheels off of it for awhile LOL.

I like your tool box! What brand is it?

on one of your pictures of the passenger side floor it looks like paint got a little discolored from heat. you may want to check if the cat heat shield is still there.

Good call. I checked last night and no, I don't have one, but I can't see any evidence of one ever being there. I guess I'll have to figure something out there. What does it look like?

First of all... love your Rubi LJ. The box says "better built." I'm thinking of selling it if you're interested.

Thanks! The LJ was my first real Jeep experiance and an expensive labor of love. Had a second job for awhile to pay for the mods! Still love it on sunny days and on the trail. Really appriciate the MJ now though - its a great DD and a workhorse. Fixing/modding two Jeeps is hard on the wallet though....

I really like your yellow TJ and good score on the white TJ. :thumbsup:

Looking over your thread again, awesome job on the door panels. your floor fix looks good. At least there is not a bunch of rust inside the frame.

I am interested in the tool box. It looks exactly the size I want over the bed rails and front to back. My MJ is a longbed so a big tool box looks proportionate. How deep is it? Would prob be expensive to ship to V.A. :(

I did this photoshop to get an idea of my end goal. Haven't completely decided on the color, but I'm leaning toward Jeep Dark Khaki Metallic. I might something else completely by the time I pony up the $ to have it painted.