'88 MJ (4wd - Trail Truck)

500 MJ

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow man i love your truck!! I read on one of your posts that your gettin about 18-19 mpg...wow is that on the highway?....I'm getting ten mpg on mine in the city ...but i have 35's with 3:55 gears

Yah, thats on the highway. Once I get on the trail it goes way down after I put it in 4wd...

what year did the 8.25 rear come from and r u SOA or SUA nice jeep :rockin:

As of right now, I am SUA and not planning on changing it anytime soon. The 8.25 was from a '91 or '92 XJ, I can't remember which the junkyard guy told me... Its soon to be replaced though by a D44 if my plans don't fall through ;)

More pics of the freshly washed truck's present state:

Nice looking truck, you have done a great job on it

BBC

Thanks a bunch, best of luck with your build.

• 1 month later...

More pics for you guys:

The RE1660 trackbar went in nice and easy. It was the old trackbar that proved to be the bugger to come out. The frame mount took some cutting of the bolts to get free but hey, it was junk to me so I had no problem whipping out the cutter and freeing my MJ of that darned achilles heel.

Here is a pic of it put in.

n6603948_31111679_74.jpg

I also got the D44 rearend from dfreeman16 that I will be putting in while I am home from college for Christmas break. I plan on putting ZJ rear discs on it along with an SYE and CV driveshaft to the end of my powerplant to mate it to. Thanks for making it possible Dave!

Now for pics from the trail:

These were taken a while back, now we have 2' of snow that I havent had the chance to go play in yet up here...

• 1 month later...

More Pics to come soon. But here are some I've already hosted online from when I was home over break.

I got the 44 cleaned up but never got my ZJ brakes in time to get them put on and make it back up to school. So that project will have to wait until spring break now. :roll: Most of the leg work is done on it as you will see in the pics below. I just have to swap in my SYEed T-case and the new rearend once I get the brake setup mounted on the axle. I even got the driveshafts for it lying in wait...

T-case from a '90 MJ that got my major upgrade.

n6603948_31135462_3808.jpg

n6603948_31135474_6830.jpg

n6603948_31140899_7229.jpg

XJ D44 that is getting the ZJ brakes installed.

n6603948_31135472_5349.jpg

n6603948_31135473_6094.jpg

Driveshafts from the local JY waiting to be cut.

n6603948_31140893_5693.jpg

It was done at a bodyshop. Bumpers, Bedliner and color-matching rocker guard on the lower body line of the truck = $1000 out the door. - Well worth it though in my opinion.

My other 2wd white MJ will most likely get its bed lined after it drives me everywhere I need to go this summer.

Yah. I did the whole hurculiner thing on two trucks of mine and wasnt really too impressed. Granted it was better than the wal-mart stuff - that is just horrible.

The problems I had with the hurc was that if it was left in the sun, like most truck beds are, it seemed to "shrink" over time. It also lost its shinyness and whatnot. I had a few spots, especially the tailgate peel up after it got older and I kept abusing it by slinding things around on it.

This way I have a lifetime guarantee and it is way thicker than the hurculiner stuff.

Say what you want. I like the way I got mine done. 8)

I agree that the spray-ins are definitely better if you can afford them and yours looks like it turned out very nice. :D

I have gad pretty good luck with the Herc on mine. I used alot of coats to build it up, probably 2 gallons worth. It's still not as thick as a spray-in but it has held up well. Herculiner does sell a UV topcoat paint over the liner and it protects against the fading and maybe the shrinking you were referring to.

Any plans to spray the rockers too? I have a buddy with a Z71 that sprayed about a 6 inch strip around his and it turned out real nice..good protection too.

Yah. I did hear that they started to offer that UV stuff for the bedliner after I sold the second truck I put Herc in. Never used it, don't know if its good or not.

I did get the rockers sprayed with a different type of paint than the bedliner. Its a rockerguard specific product and its color matchable to the paint so you don't see it until you are close up. Had the body shop do it at the same time they did the bedliner. You can see that here before I shot paint:

n6603948_30881065_2409.jpg

Here are some of the new pics I mentioned. Got my winter wheels/tires and mesh gate on for the salt season.

n6603948_31199818_7727.jpg

n6603948_31199828_718.jpg

My Jeep's bachelor pad.

n6603948_31199827_435.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of the new pics I mentioned. Got my winter wheels/tires and mesh gate on for the salt season.

n6603948_31199818_7727.jpg

n6603948_31199828_718.jpg

Thats a sharp looking MJ. It will look even better with your summer tires on it. jamminz.gif

So how do you like the 12.50" wide tires in the snow? I switched to 33x10.50 BFK AT KO's and really like the narrower tire in the snow and ice.

The snow is so deep up here that I don't go wheeling in it after it gets to about the 1' mark. Anything after that is just too much getting stuck. For driving around town I havent had any qualms with the tires and there are no freeways up here in the Upper Peninsula (Where I go to college) to worry about getting up to high speeds with them. They do seem a bit touchy at times though.

I found that gate in a junkyard up here. It uses the stock latches and support straps. It is simply made out of some welded uni-strut with the piece of mesh in the center. I don't use it to haul anything with, I can stand on it with no problems but I don't know about loading it down with cinder blocks and all. It makes cleaning out the bed fulls of snow easier and also keeps my real tailgate from rusting up with all the salt. - Those are the two main reasons why I got it.

Actually, Yah.

I know I mentioned earlier that I would be willing to make them for $300 + shipping. I think its a fair price for what you get - Here is the list of materials that I had for last summer and would have to go buy.

5"x2", 1/4" Wall Steel Tube - Ran me $90 last summer - I'll have to check again on this price at the local steel shop to confirm it.

4' of 3/8"x 3" Strap Steel to make the 4 mounting brackets and end caps - $? (I Had some laying around so I don't know the price on this item)

6" of 2.125 ID Square Tube for the Receiver + 1' of 3/8" cold rolled steel for the chain mounts underneath- $5

2 JCR Offroad D-Ring Tabs - $32 to my door http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/mer ... y_Code=DPL

Shop Supplies (Welding Wire + Gas, Sawzall Blades, etc. I don't run a business so I need to replenish this somehow ;) ) - $30

So I figure that If I ask $300 and have ~ $175 into materials I would be getting $125 profit. Say I work on this for 5 hours - I'd get $25/hour

I'm working on some AutoCAD drawings of the bumper right now and will post them up soon.

NOTES:

The Bumper will NOT be bedlined. It will come in Bare Steel or Sherwin Williams Self Etching Primer (I'd have to buy a can of the primer and it runs about $9 at the parts store if you want it painted), whichever you choose.

I can pre-drill all of the holes if you want them in the mounting straps or leave them for you to do if you wish.

I don't guarantee any of this to hold up to rigorous offroad use. I will do the best job that I can, but I am not a paid professional welder. I built my bumper to hold up to everything I plan on putting it through and have no doubt that it will outlast the truck that its bolted to. I run my passes hot and get great penetration when I weld. But, just for the sake of me protecting my own butt I can't guarantee the bumper to hold up to what you guys might put it through. Remember, I am doing this as a fellow-friendly comanche owner. I'm not here to ream you a new one and I don't expect you to do so to me either.

Also, I expect to have a few weeks notice to get all of the supplies and time to make a bumper. I can't whip one out overnite. ;)