BF Goodrich 31" MT's

Full size spare

MISCELLANEOUS:

Factory trailer hitch

Factory Leer camper shell

Reflexxion steel cowl hood

Redline hood struts

Best MJ story

In 1997 my family were preparing to return to Alabama after my last 15+ year tour overseas. The locations included the Philippines, Korea, Guam, and the Marshall Islands. I'd had several XJs throughout the years, both as family vehicles, and even had my own personal government XJ we used for accessing remote microwave sites in the Philippines. That thing would out climb and outrun anything the locals used, including the Toy FJ40s and FJ55s that were supposedly the class of the 4WDs at the time. I'd never owned an MJ in the past, but the XJs I did have experience with so impressed me that since I was returning to Alabama and HAD to have a pickup, it would be an MJ. I wanted a low mileage one-owner 91-92 HO model w. the AW-4 since I knew the breed pretty well, and after several months of searching found a low mileage base 91 for sale by the original owner in Buena Vista, VA. After much negotiation we settled on a price, and I bought it sight unseen (except for about 1000 pictures). I flew from the Marshall Islands straight through to the Waynesboro, VA airport in Dec. 1997 arriving wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops (I had owned no cold weather clothing in years). There was a foot of snow on the ground, and the temperature was about 20 degrees. Felt like 20 below to me. The owner, a 77-year-old local farmer, met me there, and looked at me like I was an alien. :eek: He immediately hustled me out of the airport straight to my new MJ, grabbed a blanket from the front seat, and wrapped it around me, stuffed my frozen carcass inside, started it up and cranked up the heater. After I stopped shivering and could talk, we went over to his place and his wife broke out some warm clothes and insisted I wear them on the drive down south. After a great meal, I hopped in my MJ, glanced back once, and the old guy and his wife were both waving and crying watching their beloved MJ leave their fold. The trip down to 'Bama was perfect with no problems. MJ people are special, especially this old couple. :cheers:

What owner loves best about CC

The people. As exemplified in my MJ story, MJ people are all special. The common thread is that we all love our unique trucks, and it shows in the way CC members create their own personal rigs to suit their own taste. Most all members are more than willing to share their gained knowledge with others, something you do not often see on other automotive forums. Most all of us would never consider another model truck, and those that do sell their MJ or purchase another non-MJ truck (including other Jeep models) for reasons they think are valid and necessary at the time always regret it down the road. These little trucks are an addiction, there's none other like them, and it's a lifelong love/hate thing that you can't break. That addiction is what we all have in common.

-Don

Front.jpg.74c1533ff6bd51c6ce54bff725b7a6c3.jpg

hood.jpg.5e73955bb9c27a8ef52a360ab6026655.jpg

engine.jpg.a55b76bae48f9fb3dff0b069b0ae9d55.jpg

interior.jpg.abc664571ddab9a6dca51cb46d96bb7c.jpg

rf.jpg.9cd6e30aa3730ca0ea8f5aa8bf2382ce.jpg

rtside.jpg.17399e9e176d10ff0c807b555afaafaa.jpg

lftside.jpg.19d2a19fe19e74fb6dbd9b33b202a797.jpg

rear.jpg.0d8b49c1609ee935eea885a8936073b8.jpg

Thanks for being the first Don! That's one sweet MJ! Its a privilege to share the board with ya, and I would mod with you any day. I hope my first MJOTM post does you justice, and I hope you like it.

Thanks again Don!

Rob L. :cheers:

Outstanding Job. :thumbsup:

I'm sure your still working the details but the only suggestions that I would have is when you finalize the format that you want, make the sticky a locked thread. That way you just have the MJOTM post. This will keep it neat and you would be able to see all of them as the year goes on. Make sure there is a link to their build thread so people can go to it and comment on it. And lastly, you may want to create a Mod photobucket account just to put the pic's for this in. That way if the owner accidently moves something around or deletes a pic in their account, it won't affect the MJOTM thread.

:cheers:

Outstanding Job. :thumbsup:

I'm sure your still working the details but the only suggestions that I would have is when you finalize the format that you want, make the sticky a locked thread. That way you just have the MJOTM post. This will keep it neat and you would be able to see all of them as the year goes on. Make sure there is a link to their build thread so people can go to it and comment on it. And lastly, you may want to create a Mod photobucket account just to put the pic's for this in. That way if the owner accidently moves something around or deletes a pic in their account, it won't affect the MJOTM thread.

:cheers:

good advice. lock the thread and maybe start a seperate one in the pub for comments and such.

When I joined the CC earlier this year, Don's truck was the first I took a hard look at. At first I was simply amazed at how shiny and smooth his truck was compared to my 'rode hard and put away wet' truck. It was at that point I decided my truck needs to try and be as CLEAN as his someday. Talk about a phenomenal job and absolute perfection (well, if it had a transfer case :D ). Congratulations Don, you are very deserving of this and so much more :bowdown:

Rob is modest, he did a lot of work besides cut and paste for this first effort to light off the MJOTM effort - entirely his idea and one I think can only benefit our forum down the road. :cheers: Thanks for all the kind comments, and of course all constructive comments yea or nay are welcome in this thread to improve the MJOTM selection process. Super job Rob-Man. :clapping:

GOOD JOB!!!

I really like the MJ-O-M format and its first subject is most deserving, both for what he brings to the table and who he is. Don is a true asset to the CC, just as he was to our great country while he served. THANK YOU DON!! I am proud to be associated to such a fine group of guys!!

Pete, you done good fella, :clapping: thank you for creating and providing this forum for all of us to display, brag and boast about our projects and of coarse make friends. :bowdown: :D

CW

Don,

This is the first time I have seen your truck other than the front. That truck is gorgious. Does the previous owner know what you did to it?

And I am not kidding when I ask this question but how do you keep that engine bay so nice? I have tried to clean mine but when I am finished, it still looks like it belongs to a 23 year old truck. :popcorn:

BTW, you wouldnt want to sell your old black bumper would you? :???:

Gary

Don, This is the first time I have seen your truck other than the front. That truck is gorgious. Does the previous owner know what you did to it?

And I am not kidding when I ask this question but how do you keep that engine bay so nice? I have tried to clean mine but when I am finished, it still looks like it belongs to a 23 year old truck. :popcorn:

BTW, you wouldnt want to sell your old black bumper would you? :???: Gary

Thanks for the comments Gary. I'm sorry to say that the previous owner passed away about six months after I got the truck, and his wife shortly after. I did keep in touch with them though and sent a few pics of what I had done so far, and they were pleased.

I put in the crate stroker engine in about four years ago, and cleaned up the engine compartment first. It doesn't leak (except a little at the RMS when I use synthetic oil) or go off road, so it's pretty easy to keep clean. The black bumper is long gone, and is riding on the back of a friend's MJ down in FL. :D

i don't think the mjotm thread should be locked, this is a forum, the point is we post our bs comments, thats what its about. :typing: :banana:

It won't be... It was just suggested that we keep a rolling thread of just MJOTM's... I figured this would keep it cleaner... That way, to see the latest truck, just click on the thread. If you want to comment, there will be a seperate "regular" thread created for comments for that MJOTM.

Also, as suggested, we will create a separate photo account, so that the pics will be available down the road for all to see.

Rob L. :cheers:

:agree: *look back one post*

Rob, keep the MJ of the month locked, comments in a separate topic......like this one, in the long run.......12 months, it will be a cleaner, one only, sticky.

Now........my comments......... :D

Mr. Hornbrod - As the First MJ of the month entry/winner.......

Couldn't happen to a better person, and their fine example of a Jeep Comanche :clapping:

With all the time, expertise and advice that Mr. Hornbrod post here, plus now being a moderator on this board (with the power to lock any of us out :eek: ) I'm glad that we have you aboard, and glad to know you, and share our little back channel talks ;)

Congrats :thumbsup: and........in the 3th or 4th picture, there seams to be a fly running around on your front chrome bumper :hmm:

Keep up the bright.......ah, er, good work :cheers:

• Pete M unpinned and featured this topic
  • Pete M pinned this topic