XJ dash harness to rear MJ harness wiring guides.

Well this topic comes up quite a bit on here so I figured I'd write it down and hopefully simplify it for some.

Common swap for a lot of us is to use a donor XJ when upgrading from a 4 banger or when replacing a corroded fuse panel. Only thing is, the XJ's dash to rear harness is not a plug n play affair for the MJ's. I've pinned out all the plugs on both and made a simple chart so you can see which wires go where.

Here's the pin outs for the XJ dash harness connectors.(Renix Era)

Connector C118 (Black)

1 Park Brake Switch (Gray/Red)
2 Interior lamps (Pink)
3 Stop lamps (Light Blue/Black)
4 Rear park/marker/license lamps (Dark Blue)
5 RH rear turn lamp (Brown)
6 Fuel sending unit (Tan)
7 Backup lamps (Brown/White)
8 Door jam switch (Black/White)
9 LH rear turn lamp (Gray/Black)
10 Seatbelt switch (White)

Connector C119 (Gray)

1 Speaker right rear return (Black)
2 Speaker right rear feed (White/Black)
3 Center console lamps (Orange/Black)
4 Rear wiper relay (Green/White)
5 **Wagoneer stop lamps** (Light Green/Black)
6 Speaker left rear return (Brown/White)
7 Speaker left rear feed (Green/White)
8 Defogger grid (Brown/White)
9 Rear wiper (Yellow/Black)
10 Fuel pump (Pink/Black)

Pin outs for the MJ rear harness connectors.(Renix Era)

Connector C118

1 Speaker right rear return (Brown)
2 Speaker right rear feed (White/Blacke)
3 Center console lamps (Orange/Black)
4 Ground G102 (Black)
5 B-pillar lights (Pink)
6 Speaker left rear return (Brown/White)
7 Speaker left rear feed (Green/White)
8 Cargo lamp (Pink/White)
9 Door switch (Black/White)
10 Seatbelt switch (White)

Connector C157

A RH stop/turn lamp (Brown)
B Side marker/park/tail/license (Dark Blue)
C Fuel sender unit (Tan)
D Backup lamps (Brown/White)
E LH rear stop/turn lamp (Gray/Black)
F Fuel pump (orange)

Table for Renix XJ dash harness and Renix MJ harness.

35717985442_97a8dcf5ca_b.jpg

* Pin 4 on MJ C118 is G102. This ground should be connected under the dash with the one already there under the light switch.

** Pin 8 on MJ C118 is for the cargo light. No direct XJ match.

# Pin 3 on XJ C118 connects to pin 5 on XJ C119. This will provide proper wiring for the brake lights.

+ Pin 1 on XJ C118 needs to be attached to the E-brake switch

" Pin 4,8, and 9 on XJ C119 are not needed.

NOTE: Some wire colors may have changed a little but the pin number should be the same function. Also, when a wire passes through a connector, it sometimes, adds a tracer but should be the same main color

Here is the pin outs for the HO harness. (Thanks to Boilermaker's post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10143)

92 XJ Gray body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (db/or) Speaker return right rear
pin 2 (db/wt) Speaker feed right rear
pin 3 (or/bk) panel illumination
pin 4 (bk) ground
pin 5 (pk) courtesy lamps
pin 6 (br/lb) speaker return left rear
pin 7 (br/yl) speaker feed left rear
pin 8
pin 9 (yl) switched ground
pin 10 (lg) seat belt switch
pin 11 (br/rd) rear wiper run
pin 12 (wt) rear wiper park
pin 13 (or/vt) lock relay
pin 14 (pk/wt) unlock relay
pin 15 (vt/yl) security alarm liftgate
pin 16 (pk/or) keyless arm input

92 XJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump
pin 2 (tn/dg) Right Rear Turn Signal
pin 3 (db/rd) Parking Lamps
pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge
pin 5 (br/lg) Backup Lamp Signal
pin 6 (lg/bk) Left Rear Turn Signal
pin 7 (gy/or) Brake Pressure Warning SW/ Park Brake Light
pin 7 (gn) Brake Pressure Warning Switch
pin 8 (bk/rd) Rear Defogger
pin 9
pin 10 (bk/wt) Rear Washer Feed
pin 11 (wt/tn) Stop Lamps
pin 12
pin 13
pin 14
pin 15 (db/or) Illuminated Entry Signal
pin 15 (dg/or) Right front door security
pin 16 (lg/or) Left front door security

Table for a HO dash harness and MJ (Renix Era) rear harness.

35717985522_4e654e2f3b_b.jpg

+ Pin 7 on XJ Black connector needs to be attached to the E-brake switch.

* Pin 11 on XJ Black connector, need to run a wire to pin P on the turn signal/hazard switch.(11 pin flat connector on lower steering column) This will provide proper wiring for the brake lights.

** If you have a cargo light, you'll have to run a wire from the switch to pin 8 on MJ C118.

NOTE: Some wire colors may have changed a little but the pin number should be the same function. Also, when a wire passes through a connector, it sometimes, adds a tracer but should be the same main color

You can accomplish the wiring a couple of different ways. Cut and splice the wires. Down side to this is if you have to replace either harness, you'll have to cut and splice all over again. Or, you can make a pigtail using the old harnesses connectors. This method allows for a plug n play swap later if you have to replace either harness or if you go back to all MJ specific ones. The later of the two is what I did. Here's a couple of pics.

I pulled the two rear connectors from my donor XJ and the two dash connectors from my 2.5 L MJ dash harness. I then used the Troubleshooting wiring guides for the MJ and XJ to pin them out and label them.

XJ's

35717985582_97a8dcf5ca_b.jpg

MJ's

35047616684_bb2ce96ecc_b.jpg

As you can see, I labeled both sides with what it was and where it should go. It was a little time consuming but save me from going back and forth to the paper I put the pin outs on and was a good way to double check everything. I then laid them all out and just taped the ends together so I could test fit it in the truck to make sure I had enough wire or to cut out if it was too much.

35047616714_44549d4d53_b.jpg
35717985872_a3d402d7b1_b.jpg

Out came the helping hands and soldering iron.

35717984972_e0434cfbe1_b.jpg

I stripped the wires and tin then with solder.

35047616294_3442a8f316.jpg35499357660_707e89e959.jpg

WARNING: Make sure you put the shink tube on before you connect the wire ends together.

Then using a couple of pair of needle nose pliers, I held the wires together with one and twisted them together with the other.

35717985092_e5439310e0.jpg35499357750_a6e2f95dbc.jpg

Used my helper and then soldered them together and put the shrink tube over and shrunk them.

35499357810_5f55d2e61b.jpg35717985162_0f01ec379a.jpg

Once I had all the soldering done I taped the harness up and here is what I have.

35499357880_feece43618_b.jpg

Here's what everything is.

35047616504_599b909e2d_b.jpg

I'm using the rear defogger from the XJ to run my LED cargo lights that will be installed later under my bedrails. Since I'm using that circuit, I'll never have to worry about them being left on as that circuit is a timed circuit and only stays on for about 15 mins.

Here is the pigtail installed in the truck.

35717985282_d6fb299c72_z.jpg

All the connectors except one is tucked up above the e-brake which was a necessity for me having all the power options for the doors. This will allow me to get the kick panel on and have the e-brake function as it should.

NOTE: I have not done an HO harness, just the table above. I used the pin outs and put them where they should go.

Hopefully this will ease some of the frustration of doing your wiring project. I will post some helpful wiring diagrams later if I can get my scanner working.

:cheers:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. can't a person remove the plug (unpin the wires) from the back of the old MJ dash harness, repin them into the new XJ dash harness plug?

yes, that's what i did with a '92XJ on '92MJ and what i'm planning on doing with the 96XJ dash harness that will go my truck next. I find it easier than splicing and there's no extra wiring hanging around. But i'm also seeing the downside that mfpdm pointed out, replacing the harness for any reason means i have to do everything again.

Like Boilermaker pointed out it is possible to just swap the pins. If you have the HO mj rear harness I would probably go that route as well. That's why I didn't put a table together for the HO to HO swap. The renix rear harness C118 connector of the MJ will plug into the C118 connect or the XJ dash harness if you move the pins around but you will still need to splice the six wires from the MJ C157 connector. A lot less I know but in my build I've tried to make everything so you can revert back to all original parts with no trouble. If something was to happen to the dash harness or dash itself, I could literally swap the whole thing out in about 30-45 minutes. Same with the rear harness.

The pigtail, since I made it to tuck up out of the way, puts the wiring in the original locations. I've annotated the pic below just in case there was confusion with the original pic in the writeup. There still is extra wiring, but it is not a factor and is completely out of the way. The power otions were pointed out as well so you wouldn't think those were part of the pigtail.

35047616534_53e547aa53_z.jpg

If your worried about doing the splices, you could also build the pigtail by getting the pins for the connectors and just crimp them on the wires. I'm sure they could be found at the stealership for a good penny. All in all there are various ways to do this, this happens to be the route I took and figured I'd share what I did. The important thing from the whole writeup is the pinouts and tables anyhow.

outstanding writeup Paul......like everything you do, it's top notch :cheers:

FWIW, I went down to the junkyard today (haven't been there in about 6 weeks). If anyone's interested, there's a very nice '88 4.0/5 spd Renix there......both the engine and interior harnesses are intact and in very good shape.

Jeff

Thanks all.

I splice my wires a bit differently (like it shows in the FSM), but your way is good too. Need to get that neat "helping hands" tool - where did you get that?

Good ole Navy training tought me that way. :D

My helping hands was a $6 splurge at HF. I like the magnafying glass which also has a LED light. Can't see as good as I use too. :shake:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this write-up Paul!

...just (finally) buttoned up the crossover harness on my 87...haven't put it in yet, but I'm sure everything inside will now work.

Do you have any information, though, on the green connector that ties into the black connector on a high output? it goes to the power options harness (to the pw, pl, pm harness) and I have several loose wires on that connector...everything has been working except for the window switches on the passenger side don't work (can control from driver's side)

Thanks,

Pat

I haven't had any experience with the cross body harness for the HO era's. I do know that for the Renix era one, I had to swap a few wires around on the drivers side to control the passenger side functions. I used a 4dr drivers side door harness though which is why I had to move them around to match up to the 2dr switch bezel.

Since I left the XJ HO to MJ HO chart off the original post, here it is.

MJ HO harness pinouts.(Again, Thanks to Boilermaker's post)

92 MJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump
pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge
pin 7 (br/yl) Speaker Feed Left Rear
pin 8 (br/lb) Speaker Return Left Rear
pin 9 (yl) Switched Ground
pin 10 (pk) Courtesy Lamps
pin 11
pin 12
pin 13 (db/or) Speaker Return Right Rear
pin 14 (db/wt) Speaker Feed Right Rear
pin 15 (lg) Seat Belt Switch
pin 16 (or/bk) Panel Illumination

Table for XJ HO dash harness to MJ HO harness.

35047616654_14e0928d78_b.jpg

* Pin 11 on XJ Black connector, need to run a wire to pin P on the turn signal/hazard switch.(11 pin flat connector on lower steering column) This will provide proper wiring for the brake lights.

Not sure on the cargo light as his pinout doesn't have it listed.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

97+ xj light wiring. no pins from the xj side harness, but hey...it's a start.

from the driver's kick panel

WT/TN = brake (to be wired to turn switch...will update with pin)

DG/RD = Left turn signal

BR/RD = right turn signal

BR/LG = reverse light

from driver's kick panel, needs to be wired back to passenger.

BR/YL = running lights

I'll update with interior lights and everything else soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ok i apologize if i have totally looked this over and it was alrady mentioned before but, can you do an HO to Renix swap in the same maner that you have pointed out here or is that just too much to handle?

(I am asking cause it was my impression that you either talked about renix to renix era and HO to HO era rather than HO to Renix... Its ok you can call me dumb haha :dunno: )

• 3 months later...

Table for a HO dash harness and MJ (Renix Era) rear harness.

** If you have a cargo light, you'll have to run a wire from the switch to pin 8 on MJ C118.

I'm working on getting the wiring done on the manche. It's a full 93 dash, harness, everything and I'm having trouble placing one last wire. It says that pin 11 on the XJ black connector (in my case white/tan) needs to connect to pin P on the turn hazard switch. However on the HO dash and harness I see no such pin and wanted to see if anyone could tell me which wire to splice into. Here's a couple of pictures from the FSM for an 88 and a 93 showing the two differences.

Here's the 88:

Here's the 93:

Thanks for the help ahead of time as this thread has saved me a major headache trying to trace out all the wires.

I just went out an checked my truck. The connector you are looking for is the black one coming out of the steering column.

You should have this wire left over from your adapter harness.

It will need to be terminated and placed in the empty pin hole labeled "P" which is the empty hole here on the left of the connector.

If you look closely at the connector you will notice the "P" right after the "N".

Hope this helps.

Yep like shelby said. :thumbsup:

The "P" doesn't show in your diagram because it is not used however you will see it labeled on the flat connector on the steering column.

Awesome, thanks alot guys I'll go check it in the morning and hopefully get it wired up then check everything to make sure I wired it up right. Having to wrap my head around the single bulb style of the manche from the dual bulbs lilke the XJ's use takes a little bit. Was about to look into running a separate wire so it could be wired up like the XJ's with a separate turn signal bulb.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the pin outs for the HO harness. (Thanks to Boilermaker's post here: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... =2&t=10143)

92 XJ Gray body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

92 XJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump

pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge

pin 7 (gy/or) Brake Pressure Warning SW/ Park Brake Light

pin 7 (gn) Brake Pressure Warning Switch

pin 8 (bk/rd) Rear Defogger

pin 9

pin 10 (bk/wt) Rear Washer Feed

pin 12

pin 13

pin 14

pin 15 (db/or) Illuminated Entry Signal

pin 15 (dg/or) Right front door security

pin 16 (lg/or) Left front door security

how come on the black connector there are 2 pin #7 that have different colors/functions, is that because i can have either wire color? also, i searched thru a 95 FSM i(i have a 96 tho) and came up with the gray/black connectors being called c203/204, yet it only has the wire size and color. can i look somewhere else to find the functions? i just want to be positive that i do it right the first time and i have no experince in wiring. I'm hoping you won't say that you traced each wire to it location the figured out what it did :help:

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I'm new to the xj/mj thing. My current dash harness is shot in my 86 comanche, I was hoping to do the 97+ dash swap without swapping the motor or anything. Is that what the HO to renix diagram is for? I'm still not clear on the whole motor identifying thing, but I can tell the difference in the HO intake shape.... Sorry to be an idiot, and thanks for any help.

• 2 months later...
Picked up a 2000 XJ dash yesterday. Hoping to put it in my 87 MJ without swapping the drive drain. So will I need to follow the HO to renix diagram?

You will need ALL the wiring from the donor XJ.

Sorry, you can't make the XJ dash talk to the MJ wiring.