Need some help/info fast. thanks :) 91 MJ

If it's not Limited slip, jack up one rear wheel, put the vehicle in neutral, and rotate the wheel twice. Count the number of times it rotates. That'll roughly tell you the ratio. I.E., if it turns just over 4 times, your ratio is 4.10:1

If it is Limited slip, jack up both tires and turn them once-make sure they both turn exactly once. That'll tell you the ratio.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there an easy way to identify the 8.8 ratios w/o pulling the cover? like at the pull-apart

There's a tag on the diff cover (and unlike the old Jeeps, that tag is usually there and not rusted away). If it has 2 tags, then it's likely a posi diff too.

If it's not Limited slip, jack up one rear wheel, put the vehicle in neutral, and rotate the wheel twice. Count the number of times it rotates. That'll roughly tell you the ratio. I.E., if it turns just over 4 times, your ratio is 4.10:1

If it is Limited slip, jack up both tires and turn them once-make sure they both turn exactly once. That'll tell you the ratio.

yeah thats the ole' quick and dirty way...I didnt know if there was an ID tag or marking of some kind. Toys use a certian color paint on the pinion nut to identify the ratio. like pink=4:10 white=4:30

is there an easy way to identify the 8.8 ratios w/o pulling the cover? like at the pull-apart

There's a tag on the diff cover (and unlike the old Jeeps, that tag is usually there and not rusted away). If it has 2 tags, then it's likely a posi diff too.

nice! Is there a year range I should look for? Are the perches the right width? really wouldnt hurt my feelings if they were set up spring over too.

Can you use stock xj springs in a spring over situation and gain less lift than stock Mj's?

Can you use stock xj springs in a spring over situation and gain less lift than stock Mj's?

Nope, XJ leafs are a lot shorter.

You can use XJ shackles to drop it down some, and if you don't ever haul anything, you can remove the overload leaf.

95-01 are disk braked.

ANY axle you plan to swap in (except for another MJ axle) will require welding on new perches in the proper location.

Don't even think about SOA if you're just looking for 3". HellCreek makes a great leafpack for a 3" lift if you want something better than an AAL.

Also, the v6 and v8 axles are identical except for the bracketry you're going to cut of anyway, so don't spend any extra on one from a v8 Explorer thinking it's somehow better. :thumbsup:

The front "prop valve" in an MJ isn't actually a prop valve, just a splitter. The MJ has a height sensing prop valve in the rear. Technically, you could use the rod length to vary the amount of power getting to the rear.

thoughts on running a toyota rear?

6-bolt hubs. Jeep rims won't fit.

Bad idea

Remember that the Exploder 8.8 is considerably narrower than the XJ/MJ axle. If you use an 8.8 in the back, you MUST use either aftermarket rims with a lot less backspacing, or run spacers in the rear. The aftermarket rims create problems in the front, because they won't stuff inside the flares and fenders in the front.

I know the 8.8 seems to have developed a following but, personally, I think a late model, 29-spline XJ Mopar 8-1/4" axle is a much smarter swap for an MJ. It's the right width, the pinion yoke is already set up for a Jeep drive shaft, and it's nearly as strong as a Dana 44. All late model 4-cylinder XJs had 4.10 gears. Should be easy to find.

-The TJ AX-15 shifter is a bit different (taller) than an MJ/XJ shifter. It can work, or an XJ/MJ version will swap right in

-the YJ/TJ transmissions clock (rotate) the t-case up a bit. some guys have reported needing to take a hammer to the floorboards to make sure the t-case doesn't contact, other have not needed too

-you'll need a pilot bushing for a mid 70s CJ 304

the rubi case should bolt up to any AX-15 (both should be 23 spline) but you'll need to figure out how to do the shifter linkage since the YJ/TJ links are a bit different than the MJ/XJ stuff.

I put a 99 TJ AX-15/231 into my 88 MJ using the CJ bushing, the TJ shifter, no hammering of the floor, a custom crossmember, a mishmash of TJ and MJ linkage pieces, and I adapted the TJ slave line to my stock MJ master line with a $2 compression fitting from the hardware store. Would I do it again? yes. :D

stock T-case in a TJ on top. stock t-case in an MJ on the bottom