Adapting MJ headlight harness to 97+ XJ harness

• 1 year later...

Looks like my harness has;

2   Red/Org (instead of White)

3   Green x2 (instead of Grey)

4   Dark Blue/Red (instead of plain Dark Blue)

5   Black (same)

6   Empty (same)

7   Purple (instead of Light Green)

8   Tan x2 (instead of Brown)

9   Empty

10 Empty

Yeah, that is one thing I cringed at when I pulled the harness off. I cleaned it out real good an put some dielectric grease on the contacts while I was in there.

Hope that doesn't come back to bite you in the azz; it usually does. Dielectric grease should never be used on electrical contacts as it's non-conductive. It's use is for coating the connector mating surfaces to keep out moisture.

• 2 years later...

If you alter the 97+ harness to the stock MJ plug I should still fit in some relays somewhere.. but where exactly

or should I skip trying to fit this to my plug and just build a harness that plugs into the factory headlight plug and just uses the head plug off of one for the high and low beam signal

• 3 weeks later...

This was a huge help. Thanks for The thread on this topic but, I have black with white signal left over coming off of my 1999 harness and it shorts out fuses when I tried hooking it up to any of my 1989 headlight harness. I have high beams and low beams but my singals don't work while headlights are on. Last step on finishing my Comanche build. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2016 at 3:47 AM, Basslicks said:

Dadgummit... I wish I would have seen this post before I did this:

20160714_213858.jpg

20160714_213903.jpg

Oh well... it worked anyway. In reality, it was actually easier to just splice the two 97+ sockets into the old harness.

20160715_000053.jpg

How is the splice working out? Any shirts or issues after a few years? Planning on doing the conversion and I prefer to just retrofit rather than trying to sort out the different wiring colors and such. I have a complete 99 wire harness all the way back to the tail lights.  I’ll have to modify/remove the parts that are not needed for an MJ so this method just makes more sense.