Not much for updates,other than driving the truck a bit not much has changed and i still have a small list of things i want to get done.

The other day my boy made me a hood ornament, he might make another that's a little larger but it looks pretty good on the MJ.

20180519_184536.jpg

20180519_184558_Burst01.jpg

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to prepping the new header for the MJ, i got the additional O2 sensor bung welded in for the wide band and got the header wrap on.

Now to get it installed on the truck.

20180609_214739.jpg

My 1st header lasted over 10 years with wrap on it, it ended up cracking one of the tubes but there's not really any rust on it.

Heat is actually a bigger issue than moisture, since the wrap holds the heat in the pipe you end up over heating the header pipes which ends up hardening the metal making it more brittle, you typically get cracks rather than rust.

It does however help keep the heat out of the engine bay, you will also get a minor performance increase from the higher exhaust velocity due to the hotter exhaust gasses.

Like many things, it's a trade off.

I read all the pros and cons about wrapping headers when I got my Mike Leach header back in 03 and contemplated wrapping or not. I went not and fifteen years later still no problems. It looks a bit crusty but I can live with that. I don't have a supercharger either; maybe I would have wrapped if I did. 

FlexJoint.jpg.89ef8cd2ac9c2f0fc817084c2897201f.jpg

HeaderFlange.jpg.68c1d2b90ed214a6f661db6d08316f86.jpg

Today i finally swapped out the old leaky header, the truck sounds much better and my wideband looks to be happier too.

I also tossed on the new supercharger pulley, i only drove it out in front of the house but it feels like it pulls a lot harder.

20180616_140124.jpg

20180616_135849.jpg

20180616_165107.jpg

20180616_182501.jpg

I was looking at old pics and found one of the contents of my bed, It's amazing that the 4banger can burn out at all with all that weight back there.

There's also a bunch of recovery gear behind the seats, it's got me wondering how much the truck weighs.

20170618_180008.jpg

Since i put the supercharger on I've fought with belt squeals, especially when things get wet.

Over time I've changed things around and got it down to just the alternator slipping, today i added some more idlers to get better contact on the alternator, seems to have worked.

The belt is silent now, i even soaked it with the garden hose and didn't get a peep out of it.

20180624_161815.jpg

20180624_162928(1).jpg

I had been using an AW4 trans cooler for a power steering cooler but it gave up on me at Naches last year, since then it has been jumped out.

I picked up a new cooler months ago but finally got around to installing it, it's pretty crowded behind the grill so I'm going to try under the hood.

I made a mount, just need to get some hose and tie it into the system.

20180624_184925.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a decent set up, i stumbled upon it as i was looking for Arduino stuff for my son a while back, it seemed like a fun project so i figured i would give it a shot.

I have a few other projects that would benefit from it too once i figure it all out.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on the ECM to show up, and I still need to get my Continental moved out of the garage to make room to work on the MJ, so not much of an update.

I did get an external voltage regulator since currently my alternator is regulated by the Chrysler ECM and the Speeduino doesn't have the ability to regulate it.

I also liberated an ECM plug from a 93 YJ ECM, it was a pain to get out but i should be able to wire it into the Speeduino making it plug into the Chrysler MPFI harness, once i get it wired up i will probably 3D print an enclosure for it to live in.

20190205_182553.jpg

20190205_181820.jpg

20190205_181813.jpg