I'm building another trailer.....

CWLONGSHOT

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, this is real nice, hope I see it in person sometime .

Sometime SOON my friend, sometime very soon!! ;) :brows: ;)

Tonight again too many calls to get allot done, but I did shoot the bottom and part of the sides with a coat of primer. It shows mistakes as well as a good base for the paint.

BTW, this little thing is the F'IN BOMB!!! jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gif

CW

I am OFF CALL!!! image_209027.gifimage_209027.gifimage_209027.gifimage_209027.gifimage_209027.gifimage_209027.gifimage_209027.gif

SO tonight is rest and relaxation!! Tomorrow, back on the build!!! I did weld up all the top holes and ground them down flush. Then shot the whole thing with primer.

Pop came out to lend a hand and found a problem.... Seems my axle is slightly out of square. Likely because of all the spring mount nonsense I went thru moving them to and fro... AND as I centered the tongue to the axle, befroe welding it in. It is out too!!! Now I have to cut and fix the tongue AND the drivers side front spring mount and the toung bracket. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: This all became painfully obvious once the frame was all one color.

Here you can see the tongue is out of square by about 3/4".

SO, first job in the AM is to cut the offending parts out and reattach in correct position...

CW

Another freakin' work of art CW. :bowdown: I know it's stout enough, but is it wide enough to fit two 400#-500# cruiser bikes side-by-side?

Thanks man!! I know Its enough for one in width, probably not length thou..... :oops: :oops: My father mentioned the same thing...after the build began. :???: :(

I got away from bikes and more heavily into Jeeps some years back after a very close call. Things are just too congested here to safely ride IMHO. I was in the process of buying a trailer for the bikes so we could trailer north, park and cruse where its safer to ride. My "accident" took place right down the road from my home. Some guy said he never saw me, yet we had total eye contact for almost 100 yards, when he pulled in front of me. NEVER BREAKING eye contact. I composed myself, went home, cleaned up the bike and installed the last mod.. a FOR SALE SIGN! She was gone a week later.

CW

Friend of mine sold his bike after five (5!) friends of his all either died or spent time in the hospital from individual accidents in a 3 month timespan back in the 90s. Swore he'd never ride again. Two years ago he bought another one :nuts:

Friend of mine sold his bike after five (5!) friends of his all either died or spent time in the hospital from individual accidents in a 3 month timespan back in the 90s. Swore he'd never ride again. Two years ago he bought another one :nuts:

I wouldn't go so far as to say never.. but not around here any time soon... Enough off topic talk.

I got a bunch done today!! First and formost, my axle was fine, my tounge isnt ridged as its a tilt so "seeing" it to one side or the other is normal!! I figured this out after AGAIN cutting one of the front spring hangers off!! :doh: :doh: Any how, after much measuring we rewelded averything and finished grinding the last of the plug welds behind the wheels. To do so, we installed regular trailer tires...

I painted and sealed the deck. Then installed it for the final time!

I never liked a single bolt holding the safety chains. I also don't like wending the chains to the tounge. It just never sat well with me. You need something mechanical, as well as a good weld. I made up 8" tabs of 1.25X.250 steel. Attached the chain with a shackle and 5/16 chain and a removable link at each end.

Lastly was lites. I tried them a number of places and like them here.. They are lo, but well protected by the shackles and springs.

We loaded it up with almost 800lbs and the shackles sit at just past 90degrees. SO with a 2000lb cap axle and half shackle suspention, we should be well in ball park!!!

CW

I picked up some fenders @ Tractor Supply!! First time in store, some great stuff there!!! I'll be back for sure!!!!

I wanted diamond plate, but they didn't have it and I really don't care to mail order as the ones my brother-in-law ordered can in mangled. His where steel not more fragile aluminum. SO, as I am now under some time constraints with DMV, I grabbed the nicest looking ones in stock.

They are 9" wide, not 10 like the aluminium ones. So I needed to move them out to better center them on the tire tread. No biggie, I took some 1/2 x 1" stock. I chopped it @ 2" and drilled and tapped the center with a 1/4x20 stud. Then I welded three of these to each side of the frame. Then I made up studs and installed them in the fender mounts. The fenders are attached with nylock nuts and fender washers.

I'm sure you noticed the fenders are not centered on the tire. This is because the tire moves rearward upon compression. I get quite a bit. Its a 2000lb cap so @ 1000lbs The shackle is just past vertical and the tire moves about 2" rearward. @ 1700 lbs, we estimate the sale will be at 50 degrees and the tire will have moved almost 4" to the rear. As it sits with no weight the fender is almost 2" from the front of the tire and 5" from the rear of it.

Then we wired the lites. I decided to move them up to the sides where most people put them. I don't want any problems with DMV< so its as status quo as possible.

The last thing I did tonight was install the 2" algle in the bed. Its bolted along the sides and in the front.

CW

Thanks Art!! :bowdown: :cheers:

Tonight all I did was spray the underside of the fenders with rubberized undercoating. Then I decided to repaint the frame in Rustolium HAMMERED black paint. I really liked the flat, but it was far too fragile. I mean LOOK at it funny and it was scratched. My biggest reason for straying form my beloved Rustolium was the sprayer on it SUX!! The Krylon nozzel is head and shoulders better. It lays down paint almost as well as a air gun, just smaller. Well the newest cans of rustolium offer a fan nozzle that works very nicely!!!

CW

Today I reread the DMV regs and when I got home wrapped all my wires, tied them up nice and high and routed them away from any moving parts. I finished the front marker lites and installed the mud flaps on the fenders. (Just in case) Then hooked it up to pops WJ and did a final light check for the trip to inspection tomorrow. I cannot be there so I don't know if he will be able to reg it for me, but as long as it passes inspection, I can run down and reg it afterwards.

Wish us luck!! I'll post up the results tomorrow.

CW

Well.... It FAILED!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

It failed because of the weight limit on the Goodyear 225/75R15 tires. They are rated for 1874Lbs max each. That totals over 3700lbs and the axle is rated for 2000lbs. Which is the same I am registering the trailer for. SO this genius inspecting the trailer said, someone could read this on the tires and surmise he could load the trailer to over 3700lbs. Seriously overloading the axle. My first response to my father was, following his logic, go look at any car/truck or van he choose in the lot. I guarantee any will have there tires rated max loads more than the GVWR of that vehicle. Yea, you guys know I know how to make friends and influence people. :fs1: :fs1: :fs1:

I have the 12" tires mounted and its again ready for another trip to DMV tomorrow......

CW

factory made trailers have a metal tag that states the limits. maybe that's how they get by? I've never used a trailer that had tires that merely met the axle's weight rating. :mmm:

Maybe so, who knows for sure. Pop also said this was a State Trooper, not just some jamoke. Someone you would think was at least a bit more on the "ball than your average Joe.

The idiot kept pushing a piece of paper in my Pops hand. saying all information is in here... well, I read it and guess what... in THERE OWN WORDS.... "Trailer tires weight ratings need be approximate for the axle ratings" SO, I guess that is ambiguous at best. But I still read that the tires we had on there where just fine....

If we have problems tomorrow with this he is going to demand a supervisor.

CW

Brian very nice build. I really need to find time to get working on mine. I got the Bantam TC-3 that Dabrode had on Cave76, as I am sure you know it needs some work.

Have you looked into the Lock 'N Roll hitch, since you want to have this as an offroad trailer?

http://www.locknroll.com/

(i posted this on JF too, before i remembered I had a log in here)

-Paul

Great build. I didn't know I needed a trailer until I started watching your build and then also came across this on naxja, now it is all I can think about. First is trying to find a military style trailer in my area in my price range, or what has a bed with the angled top lip to make into a small trailer.

Also like this one.

factory made trailers have a metal tag that states the limits. maybe that's how they get by? I've never used a trailer that had tires that merely met the axle's weight rating. :mmm:

Maybe so, who knows for sure. Pop also said this was a State Trooper, not just some jamoke. Someone you would think was at least a bit more on the "ball than your average Joe.

The idiot kept pushing a piece of paper in my Pops hand. saying all information is in here... well, I read it and guess what... in THERE OWN WORDS.... "Trailer tires weight ratings need be approximate for the axle ratings" SO, I guess that is ambiguous at best. But I still read that the tires we had on there where just fine....

If we have problems tomorrow with this he is going to demand a supervisor.

CW

You could always do what most seem to do... make the trailer how they want it, then after you get tags, put it back the way you want it.

You could always do what most seem to do... make the trailer how they want it, then after you get tags, put it back the way you want it.

You are a MIND READER!!! This is EXACTLY what we did!!

ITS REGISTERED!!!!!! jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gif

CW

Brian very nice build. I really need to find time to get working on mine. I got the Bantam TC-3 that Dabrode had on Cave76, as I am sure you know it needs some work.

Have you looked into the Lock 'N Roll hitch, since you want to have this as an off-road trailer?

http://www.locknroll.com/

(i posted this on JF too, before i remembered I had a log in here)

-Paul

Hey Paul!! Great to hear from you again!!! I didn't even want to think about explaining one of those at inspection!!! :duh: :huh???: I haven't given it allot of thought, but book marked the link. I may just do something down the road.

CW

Great build. I didn't know I needed a trailer until I started watching your build and then also came across this on naxja, now it is all I can think about. First is trying to find a military style trailer in my area in my price range, or what has a bed with the angled top lip to make into a small trailer.

Also like this one.

Those look GREAT TOO!!!

I have been lurking on http://expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42 some GREAT IDEAS found here!!! many GREAT BUILDS!!!!

CW

Here is a couple more sites I have found with many great builds and information on offroad trailers. Both of these builds closely resemble mine!!

http://www.redjeepclub.com/tech/offroad ... railer.php

http://wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

Some really good pics and information throuout.

BTW, I picked up the 16Ga diamond plate today and tomarrow it gets mounted...along with the bigger tires!! jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gif

CW

I had about half a day today for the trailer. Last night I got the diamond plate. With some helping hands we cut the diamond plate on my table saw with a old carbide blade. It cuts pretty easily. With all the pieces cut I began applying the 3M double stick tape. I want to insulate the alum form the steel with more than a couple coats of paint. Plus this should do allot for banging where I cannot bolt it in.

I realized I hadn't made enough tabs on the gate. SO, it was back to the chop saw with some 1" angle. I added four pieces to the sides, welded in same as the rest, only along the short sides.

Then the gate plate was attached!! Now all sides are on and it really looks tremendous!!

I had more time so I made up mt tongue support too!

CW