I'm building another trailer.....

CWLONGSHOT

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Don!!

I mounted tires on the axle and started measuring things up. I have 46.5" between the tires side walls. Not enough for my 48" min of deck width I need. SO, we already know cutting to widen the axle is a no-no. SO, EBay to the rescue!!! I scored a set of 2" aluminum wheel spacers tonight. This nets me a 51.5" width. NICE, now I can make a 49" frame and still have .75" clearance from the tire and the frame. Now this is with factory BS rims.

CW

I got the lights installed and wired on the old/initial trailer. I pulled the good lights I had prev mounted and threw on the used, set from the trashed trailer. All new wires, bulbs, polished lenses and a coat of dielectric grease. They work great!!

Then I finally wired the MJ for the trailer. While I was at it I got to wire in my licence plate light. Everything tightly wired with zip ties, shrink tubing and electric tape.

CW

• 2 weeks later...

I got some 2" aluminum spacers so I can run factory back spaced rims. I may still need to run aftermarket rims thou time will tell.

I also scored some more steel...for FREE!!!

I have been working buku overtime and extra on-call as well, so the build will be for the fall. But I have cleaned up some old shackles and MJ spring plates as well as squirreled away a wiring kit, U Bolts, centering pins and a full light set. I have just about everything sans the 4" receiver for my removable tongue.

CW

Had a chance to build the leafs for the trailer today. I took a old set of XJ leafs..

And shot them with three coats of LOCKTITE EXTEND rust converter coating.

I took my U-Bolts, MJ spring plates and stock XJ shackle and introduced them to a stiff wire brush/wheel. Then a wipe down with acetone and finally a coat of RUST BULLET.

Then I took one good leaf from that RUSTYS set that broke apart on me and added it to the XJ pack. You can easily see the difference with only one MJ leaf in an otherwise stock XJ spring pack.

Finally back at home, I shot everything with a couple coats of rustoleum black.

One more thing ready for the trailer...

CW

• 2 weeks later...

Got some time to continue the build today and really made some progress!!

Outer rails of the frame are assembled into a rectangle.

Then we mocked up the U-Bolts and MJ spring plates. I discovered the perches that where on the axle where just wrong for the 3" wide XJ springs I am using... SO I had to make my own perches!! I atarted with a scrap of 2x3x6" stock. I drilled a 2" hole comp[letely thru and then drilled two 5/8 holes for the locating pins and lastly I cut it in half giving me the two perches.

Then mounted them loose on the axle.

Then I made up adaptors for fit the 3" wide springs on a 2" stock frame. I took some more of that 2x3 stock and chopped four 6" long pieces. Then I cut the top and side to allot it to slip around the 2: square frame.

Then I had to make the plates that actually attached to the frame adaptors. I used 3/16X4" flat stock chopped to 5" with a 9/16 hole bored up 1" from the bottom.

Well, between helping my brother-in-law with his gear/carrier swap in his MY, I didn't get allot done on the trailer. That's OK as I was just using it as a "filler" between helping him...

I got the stringers all cut. I modified the rear hangers as they contacted the shackles. And began welding up all the holes in the frame. I got most of the frame done and welded in the rear brackets.

Pop also found a flaw in my design. The rear shackles are not actually 3" wide. More like 2.75 so my 3" brackets where too wide. SO, I modified the pieces to better fit the shackles narrower width.

This is the FRONT mount. it needs the full 3".

CW

Thanks freakman!!! jamminz.gifjamminz.gif :cheers:

I'm going thru .030 wire like its going out of style... @ 12bucks a pound its also getting expensive, SO i tried a 10lb spool of .035 @ 40 bucks. I welded 96 holes tonight in about an hour, using less power, less wire speed and better looking welds... Guess i need to rethink the use of this wire!!!

All I did tonight was weld up holes, but it needs to be done....

CW

Actually, I'm building this one on the liter side!! :D :brows: :D My stock is thin, say approx 18 Ga or heavy 1/16Th, so the total weight of the frame work will be much liter then any other I have built. YES the springs will be much heavier, but that's a willing sacrifice for the ride quality it will afford. Alum rims will also be lighter than the std steel rims. I'll throw her on a scale once its done.

I was also comparing ride height last night... I have gone back and forth on the SOA vs SUA. I don't want the tongue higher then the tow ball. I think its pretty close to final height as it sits now and its damn near level with the TJ's hitch. But that's just a guess. I have a 7' drop on the MJ as its so high, the TJ is similar lift height, but the hitch ends up a couple inches lower.

I want to adj my shackle angle in the MJ and this will drop the back about an inch to and inch and a half. So this may balance everything out.

CW

Today was a good day!! My pile of steel looks like a trailer now!!!

I started this AM welding in the center stringer. Then measuring and re measuring to square the sides. Welded one side on and squared it to the opposite side.. so far so good.

Then I set it on the spring/axle assembly and tacked on the spring hangers. Then burned them in completely.

Then I burned in the tongue mount.

Then I found my first problem... I miss figured the hangers measurement. My mounts are too close together and the shackle angle is wrong. SO, I need to make new front mounts and cut off the ones I just finished mounting! :doh: :doh: Here is some shots of the trailer as it sits now. I need to finish the uprights front and sides. Then cut and mount my braces for the stringers.

CW

Today was a do over day.... Spent about 5 hours cutting off and re-welding the front spring hangers, because the shackle angle was FAR too much. Don't get me wrong, it was PERFECT for a vehicle, but because of the overall light weight of the trailer, when you add a couple hundred pounds, the spring lengthened and the shackle closed and snapped up against the frame. After moving the front hanger so the shackle was straight up and down, 300 lbs side to side caused it to again snap closed. SO, I moved the rear hangar as far back as possible. Tacked it in and had three friends join me ON THE TRAILER for a good jounce. Total weight 1000+ pounds not taking into account the bounce. the shackles/springs worked perfectly.

Then I cut and installed the uprights and built the rear gate.

CW

CW,

Looks REALLY good so far, BUT - why didn't you center the axle under the trailer lengthwise? Our BEEFY wood trailer's axle back home is centered directly under the trailer and it makes it wonderful to hold the tongue up to move it around in the yard. It was built on a frame jig so it is exactly in the right spot. The tongue is pretty heavy so it always sits tongue down when un-hitched and it is a dream when we tow it, sometimes forget its there...

Maybe thinking that it would tow nicer is why you put it so far back? I'm curious... :popcorn:

Also, I know what fun you are having. My project last fall at college was kinda along these lines...

n6603948_31653157_7692.jpg

n6603948_31678577_3819.jpg

I have yet to lift it though :D

n6603948_31678578_4141.jpg

CW,

Looks REALLY good so far, BUT - why didn't you center the axle under the trailer lengthwise? Our BEEFY wood trailer's axle back home is centered directly under the trailer and it makes it wonderful to hold the tongue up to move it around in the yard. It was built on a frame jig so it is exactly in the right spot. The tongue is pretty heavy so it always sits tongue down when unhitched and it is a dream when we tow it, sometimes forget its there...

Maybe thinking that it would tow nicer is why you put it so far back? I'm curious... :popcorn:

Also, I know what fun you are having. My project last fall at college was kinda along these lines...

I have yet to lift it though :D

n6603948_31678578_4141.jpg

Nice looking funtional trailer!!!!

Personally, I like my axle at 2/3 to the rear. Although my trailer looks beefy and heavy, its not. I could probably lift it, I can fairly easily lift one corner right off the ground and "hip check" it sideways in the garage to get by. The tongue weight now is very light. I wouldn't want it lighter, but there is at least 1/3 more total weight left to add. I have bracing for the front two stringers ans the rear. A rear bumper and hitch then of coarse the sides, gate and decking.

Speaking of decking. I cannot decide on what to use. First thought was 1/4" aluminum diamond plate. But the cost is substantial. The sides will be 1/8" and this will run me almost $200. Then I could use plywood, pressure treated plywood might last longer. OR I could use 1x6 decking then water would not be an issue as it would pass thru the seams..... Guess I'll cross that one when I get there...

CW

Today I was cleaning things up, filling gaps and grinding welds getting ready for the diamond plate. I centered thru axle and welded on my spring perches.

I welded in a couple gussets in the front.

I worked with the tongue and set up the tilt.

Then I fabbed up some upper shock mounts.

Lastly I altered the hitch I made to lower it 2" and welded in the hinges and a couple stops for the gate.

CW

I got some shocks from the rear of a YJ and pressed out the lower sleeve and mounted them up!!

Then I finished up the last of the bracing for the rear. I still need to finish welding and go back and double check everything. Then mount up my rear 2" receiver.

CW

Nothing much today.. (to many calls) Being on call SUX!!!

I did get to pickup and cut the 1/2" pressure treated decking. I still need to grind more welds so it sits nice and flat.

I also picked up some 2" alum angle. I figure to put it along the sides on top of the decking and up against the diamond plate sides.

CW

I ground even more welds today. Then I made up the brackets that will hold the flooring and diamond plate sides.

I mounted the flooring brackets and the corners.

I still have 12 to weld on and then drill 30 holes.... Thursday I'll get the diamond plate and start finishing the frame. I have a gallon of Herculiner.......

CW

I had today off as I have to work the weekend.. SO, I dove into the trailer early. The progress is small to see, as its making and welding in brackets and still grinding down welded form all the holes I had to weld up. I got the 2" receiver welded in. I picked up some deck mounted tie downs. I was able to integrate them into the corner bolts. So they are actually bolted to the frame for excellent strength.

I picked up some spring loaded retractable pins that I will add to the gate so its got a positive latch.

It will also stand on its gate!!