I'm building another trailer.....

CWLONGSHOT

The last build came out so well and was so much fun. I have decided to build myself a jeep/camping/utility trailer! Think army Bantam/M416 trailer only lighter weight. I have had the idea floating around in my head for many years. I also stopped at the steel store again today... guess what... they got a large load of 2x2x .120 steel available for 1$ per pound. This REALLY set me over the edge as I can get all the 2x2 stock needed for $100 BEANS!!! jamminz.gif :brows: :clapping:

Here is MY basic plan:

The complete build from thin wall, 2x2 square stock. (For weight savings)

Sides and bottom of aluminum diamond plate. 1/8" bottom and 1/16" sides. (Again, weight savings as well as looks.)

Sides where the fenders are will be rigid.

Front and back will be on hinges with chains like old pick-ups used to be.

Dimensions, bigger then 48" wide deck. I'm thinking 50" but will work with what I get for an axle. Drop axle most desirable for height savings. But must be at least 49" inside, so a full sheet of plywood/sheet rock can be loaded flat. Then a 60" length and 18" sides and gates. Allowing for 96"X 48+" deck.

Expendable tongue. For ease of towing and handling.

Hubs lug dimensions in TJ,XJ,ZJ,MJ,YJ pattern with 235 - 31" tires so jeep steel rims can be used.

XJ leaf springs. With leafs removed as required. (I have multiple sets, they are long and did I mention that I have extras?)

Not really looking for this to be a heavy-duty off-road trailer. 99% of its life will be ON road.

I have found a couple trailer builds that closely mirror my ideas.

http://www.redjeepclub.com/tech/offroad ... railer.php

http://vegasauto.net/m416.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564914

Do you have and suggestions or comments? Let me hear them.... I am going to PU the steel Saturday, before it disappears....

CW

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had kinda stalled on this build with other things going on. But today I picked up a complete trailer for the axle. $40 well spent!!

I pulled the hubs to check the bearings and found they where shot... The gamble we take with used/abused stuff. Turns out the axle is out of a 1929-1940 Ford front axle. I could tell it was a front axle when I saw the king-pin axle.

My first thought here was just to grab the axle and toss the rest. But the dimensions are quite close to my build plans. Its a 60" deck, same as mine. Its 45" wide mine is 50". Its got 12" sides mine has 18". Its got a rear gate, mine has front and rear gates. An inaccurate measurement shows about a 58" WMS width. I really want the final product to be able to take a full sheet of plywood, so 48"+ is a requirement. But this axle is too narrow for this. Not a problem!! Here is the axle:

As near as I can measure its diameter is 2 1/8" so all I have to do is chop it in the middle and sleeve it with another piece of tubing and re-weld it up to my dimension. Also, as it site the jeep rims will not work. They are the correct lug dimension, just the BS on the factory rim keeps it from bolting up. It crashes hard about 2" before sitting on the WMS. The rims and tires on it are also shot. The rims are rusted badly and the tires dry rotting. I have a set of 12" trailer tires and rims to get it thru inspection. So I can do what ever to cover this. Then once registered, I can rebuild with the steel I already have and just stamp frame numbers into new trailer when I'm done.

I think I may just run this as is for a time and see how it works.

CW

Its a FORD front axle. Built somewhere from 1929-1940!!! That is a king-pin knuckle that has been pinned so it will not turn. KEWL HUH!?!?

Pete, your right, I noticed the "ground clearance" axle too!! Its rusty, but its mostly all surface rust. This thing is all built of thick steel. The bed itself is bent and welded 1/8" thick and the frame appears to be 1/4" thick. Even the front tongue area is built of 1" thick steel!!! I tried to lift it onto its rear bumper so I could give it a good "rub" with wire brushes. But its too heavy. (I'm not allowed to really exert myself like I could before.

CW

I picked up all the bearings, races and seals and dove into the hubs. MAN where these things a mess!!! I am doubting the maintenance of these bearings.... I didn't count of having to do this, but at least I now know that I will never have a problem here gain!!

I also decided to quickly shoot it with black rustoleum.

I also checked to see if the 12" tars I bought for the kayak build would fit. They are small, but they do fit, so I'll reg it with them, cause the tire I bough it with are shot and dry rotten.

CW

That picture on the right, is the spindle bent or is it just my view? I bought a old trailer once in Arkansas and it was like a 58 Studabaker truck bed converted. I had never seem mechanical shocks before. I towed it to Michigan and had people wanting to buy it before I even unloaded it. I say you have a great find there. I would have jumped on it.

I can tell you that is not a Ford axle up through the mid thirties. They all had a I beam type section. Yours looks tubular. Henry also insisted on the transverse spring until 49 (after he died), so is there any evidence of spring perches on the axle?

I can tell you that is not a Ford axle up through the mid thirties. They all had a I beam type section. Yours looks tubular. Henry also insisted on the transverse spring until 49 (after he died), so is there any evidence of spring perches on the axle?

I remember this too. I mentioned it to the counter guy at the parts store. We are ''I-D-ing'' this axle purely by bearing numbers. So its entirely possible this is wrong. :eek: But we checked again today because the dust caps where wrong. Came up with same 1928-1948 Ford full size.

YES its is a tubular axle. Measurement thru the rust is 2 3/16. So actual is likely a tad less. Its also a king pin axle. (common I know) The axle is welded to the knuckle at the junction top and bottom. Its welded entirely around. So much so, it looks stock, like it never was supposed to turn.

I knocked out the races and finished cleaning up the hubs. Then I wire wheeled the whole she-bang and shot it with primer and two coats of Krylon stainless steel paint. (I found three cans on the bottom shelf in my paint cabinet!) here you look....

My mate Marcus has built many types of trailers down in Oz - maybe you can get some ideas HERE CW.

Sorry for the late comment..

I have been to his site for many years, nice place!! Some good ideas to say the least!! I foubnd this site too, lots of info here!!

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42

CW

I was able to install the races and finish up the hubs tonight. I also installed the lites and also some angle iron to help better straighten the sides of the bed. It worked OK, not great... Ill build a wooden tail gate just to have it. I found some good hinges to use.

I also tried one of my 33x9.50 MJ tars for S&G. It just fit under the fender, but the BS was still too much to bolt them up.

I also herd today that I may not be able to reg it if I touch the axle. I was intending on cutting in the center and saving it to the wanted diameter. I was told this is a no-no and will cause the trailer to fail its inspection. All the more reason to reg it as is THEN rebuild it!!

Here is the pics:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

CW

I also herd today that I may not be able to reg it if I touch the axle. I was intending on cutting in the center and saving it to the wanted diameter. I was told this is a no-no and will cause the trailer to fail its inspection. All the more reason to reg it as is THEN rebuild it!!

I don't see how that makes any sense at all. The axle was already modified before you touched it. If that is all they are looking for than it won't pass inspection as is or after you modify it. :hmm:

Willy

I don't see how that makes any sense at all. The axle was already modified before you touched it. If that is all they are looking for than it won't pass inspection as is or after you modify it. :hmm:

Willy

You do not understand because your an intelligent person exhibiting good common sense. Not a LIBERAL who is hypocritical to a fault and who thinks he knows whats best for everyone else...The bottom line is, It doesn't have to make sense, this is the rules, correct or incorrect. Now that I know what the "problem" areas are, I can better avoid them!! :yes: :yes: :yes: That's the entire reason for region as is.... Then I can build as I want, I'll already have the plate. I KNOW what I build will be safe and strong.

CW

Gotten rained out past two days!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

I picked up some bearing buddies, but they are wrong size. I also got some wire to wire up the lights, plug and trailer plug on the MJ & TJ. Neither one had wiring for a trailer.

I am also picking up ANOTHER trailer tomorrow!! this one is a true basket case, its out in a field with trees growing thru it!! LOL. I THINK the axle is good. its a 4X8 Trail flite steel utility trailer. It could be total junk, but its not costing me a dime and its always work its weight as scrap steel....

Pics if its worth while.

CW

I picked up the trailer. We winched it up a grade and into the driveway with no issues. It was raining so sorry, no pics yet. But its a bit worse then initially apparent. All vertical surfaces look good, everything horizontal...rusted into oblivion. BUT, the axle and tongue both look really good!! SO, its a good deal as the cost was zip!!

It looks or looked like this. www.alecjordan.com/trailer.html

CW

Well, the fire wrench made short work of the rusty wreck that was once a nice tilt trailer. I kept the tongue and tilt mechanism and the axle, hubs and tires. The axle is a real score!! Its an after market, name brand 2000# unit.

The bearing buddies I bought for the other axle fit this new one EXACTLY!!! SO, now I have to decide on what direction to go... Got 160 invested in the first trailer and its almost compete. Zip into the second one, but its just a axle, tongue and lites. BUT its a better start...

Then I took to the die grinder and chopped off the scrap steel and have a very nice tilt trailer mechanism and tongue complete with 1 7/8" coupler.

Even the springs look great.

CW

I got back out there tonight and cleaned up the spring mounts and painted the tounge, bracket, axle and rims. WOW they really cleaned up great!!!!

I also scored a set of brand new trailer springs!! Guy at work had them and knew I was building a trailer....

CW