Broken door-hinge welds: cheap n easy fix!

• 1 year later...

What did you do to be sure that you put the hinges back in the exact same spot as when it came off the line? I'm strongly considering this since there is about a 1/2" gap at the top of my drivers door where anything can get in, mainly water :fs1: It definitely looks like something I could do with my minimal skills. Great write-up btw.

What did you do to be sure that you put the hinges back in the exact same spot as when it came off the line?

12.25 inches from center to center on the top hinge to the bottom. There is a small semi-circle in the leading edge of each hinge that is the center. Follow his diagram (which are available on this link: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=986973&highlight=Door+hinge+repair.

I did this to the 87 and it worked great!

• 1 year later...

looks like a bit more work then welding but you have more room adjustments if the door is having issues so it be worth it. The pache weld i did is failing so this would be the better way to go. :bowdown: :thumbsup: :bowdown: :bowdown: . :MJ 1: .

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For those that don't know, the problem stems from AMC's lame-brained idea of welding the hinge to the sheet metal unibody (bad enough) and then neglecting to weld the rear edge (even worse.)

AMC`s products are full of them..

the hinge of the driver`s side on mine is falling apart, thanks for the tip