Suggested Towing/recovery rules of the forum

I'm more leery of death by bee stings, lightning strike or shark attack then I am of flying chain debris.   Rollovers, vehicle fires, brake and mechanical failures are far more danerous and likely.  The dangers of chain usage can be mitigated by laying blankets, floor mats, or any draping any other loose object over the chain.  You're supposed to do this on a winch cable for the same reason, as well as a strap.

I don't think I'd kick someone out of a trail party just because they had a chain with them.  That's just rude and narcissistic.

:agree:

Thank you.  If someone wanted to roll around the woods with me, I'd say come on and let's go have some fun.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I don't have enough HP to pull anything more than a scooter or a mower out of the muck. Also, am a 2wd long bed so need some real weight in the back to get any traction. Am planning on mounting a front tow bar with pinned mounting plates that come stock with the universal towbar. I think the tow bar mounts, cast iron of some sort, look pretty stout. Of course I know my bumper would pull right off.

Trying to find a guy who makes those 1/4" or more steel plates that mount to the frame with about 5 bolts designed for welded on bumpers. Then bend them, drill some holes and mount the mounts.

Contacted a couple of the guys on eBay who sell the plates. Told them of my plan and both said they never heard of such and idea. With about 2.5million TJ/MJs out there that's kind of hard to believe. Have seen too many behind big RVs on the highway.

Anyway, looked around in a bunch of other threads with a bunch of obvious keyword and could not find anybody selling pre bent (to fit stock bumper) reinforcers.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...