Where does the water come from (Update...Now Windshield!)

I've never pulled my carpet.............VA truck............maybe I should, no?

Everyone should pull the carpet and check. :thumbsup:

I've read that somewhere...hmm...hmm..

Big Red Letters on someones signature I think...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:fs1:

SW2......I'm going to send you 10 pounds of road salt so you can start experiencing what the rest of us have to deal with :D

Yeah, and make sure you spray it down with some Magnesium Chloride like most of the northeastern states do. Since Wade doesn't experience snow and ice, he won't get the effect of the MagChl acting as a preventative de-icer but at least he'll get the other characteristic of the stuff............rust ACCELERATOR!

Ask me how I know.......... :brows:

I lived in Nebraska for 25 years... I know about snow and ice.... I was just smart enough to leave...

I keep forgetting you're still more Nebraskan than Californian!

:brows:

I've never pulled my carpet.............VA truck............maybe I should, no?

Everyone should pull the carpet and check. :thumbsup:

Yes, I should, you're right of course. Been waiting until I found some decent new carpet, but I suppose I could pressure wash mine, it's not that bad........

Well, at the rate I'm going, I may never put the carpet in again...

Rained pretty good last night, truck was on the street (on level ground), go out to check the floor to make sure it's dry before I put everything back in...and there is is probably a liquid cup or more of water on the driver side and some on the pass side, which is further back and to the side, so i suspect possibly door seal or windshield, although I don't see or feel anything damp anywhere up top where it "should" be dripping down based on the water location.

Replaced the Hood Cowl Sear and RTV'ed everything I could reach inside and out...I guess I get to start ripping stuff off to seal it better (or leave the carpet out and leave a towel in the truck to wipe up the wet floors...

What a pain in the butt... :headpop:

Sw2

Why don't you do the baby powder thing that Pete suggests???

If I understood exactly what that meant... Just throw baby powder everywhere? I know there is still some coming from behind the fuse box, but ...

...AND baby powder = white... interior = white... //just an observation...

Why don't you do the baby powder thing that Pete suggests???

If I understood exactly what that meant... Just throw baby powder everywhere? I know there is still some coming from behind the fuse box, but ...

...AND baby powder = white... interior = white... //just an observation...

Yeah the white powder might not be seen very well huh...

Sprinkle it around where the water lies. I promise you'll be able to see the trails through the powder. Even a tiny trickle of water will pick up and carry the powder away with it as it moves. :thumbsup: It doesn't have to be a heavy coating of powder or anythign like that. Just a light sprinkle will do.

What's the worse that happens? It doesn't work and you have to vacuum up the powder? :dunno: The technique has helped me track down several leaks that I would never have fathomed on my own. :cheers:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :waving:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Maybe you have the water leak problem I had on both doors. On the upper A pillar on both doors there is a rubber strip that was added by AMC to stop just this problem. It took me quite a while to find the leak that was dumping mucho water into the MJ on both sides. I found it by accident when sitting in the truck on a rainy day. I just happened to look down at the door sill and notice a trickle of water coming from under the sill and sliding down behind the carpet edge. When I opened the door I tracked it back up to the top of the door and the rubber strip on the pilliar. The strip was kind of stretched & sagging from age just enuf to let the water slide under the strip & get against the side of the body (insead of running down the strip) & making a run all the way to under the sill. I kind of pulled the strip out a little & squeezed a little adhesivse glue on its full length and pessed it back in to place & duct taped it there for a day until the adhesive dryed. Removed the tape and haven't had a leak in the past year on either side. The rubber strips can be purchased from Team Cherokee if yours are missing or unusable.

Thats the strip.

Image Not Found

Water came in under sill in area where thhe retainer screw is located.

Image Not Found

Yep that is it!

Mine are in there...not in "horrible" shape, but there are gaps between seal and the metal...

dsc09467.jpg

Might be a possibility on the Pass side, the water is way back here (see red box), with nothing wet between there and the firewall

dsc09468.jpg

Drivers side water is further up, under the pedals, so I'm thinking water through the firewall still is a probability

dsc09469.jpg

What's the best way to get in here... there is a little rust along the seam @ the Left arrow...as you can see I tried to RTV around the Fuse Block Plug, but think water is still coming in here...Can I disconnect the plug and then unscrew the fuse box from the inside to get better access to the edge to seal up?

img3781r.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update... I HATE my Truck right now... or at least the fact that it leaks like an old lady on a roadtrip...

But I found at least part of the issue on the drivers side... Maybe I can shut my big ole hole about not having any rust, huh????

Any advice for how I'm going to fix this???

img4062m.jpg

img4063.jpg

According to my "baby powder" detective work, it appears this spot right here is the culprit on the Passanger side...it looks like a foam gasket or base or something on this thing (what is that black thing that I'm looking at there anyhow).

img4064.jpg

thats the black insulation somebody ripped out. well whats left anyway.

two phillips screws on the inside and a ten? mm bolt in the engine compartment. about 3/4 down and in the middle of the fuse box. i had to drill a hole in the fender to get access to it.

is the pic showing the rust under the windshield where the wiper motor is. the other side ?

thats the black insulation somebody ripped out. well whats left anyway.

two phillips screws on the inside and a ten? mm bolt in the engine compartment. about 3/4 down and in the middle of the fuse box. i had to drill a hole in the fender to get access to it.

is the pic showing the rust under the windshield where the wiper motor is. the other side ?

The "rust" pic is in the cab, up under the dash up under the driver side.. just above where the fuse box is...not sure what's on the other side of that horizontal piece...is the wiper motor up there?

Yea, the wiper motor sits over the radio, But the entire panel is there for the wiper arms.

It might be a good time to pull the cowl, wiper motor, and replace the link bushings in the wiper arms, and check for rust / holes, and sitting water up in that panel :hmm:

Oh......and to help you along..........http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Body/Wiper.htm

Yea, the wiper motor sits over the radio, But the entire panel is there for the wiper arms.

It might be a good time to pull the cowl, wiper motor, and replace the link bushings in the wiper arms, and check for rust / holes, and sitting water up in that panel :hmm:

Oh......and to help you along..........http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Body/Wiper.htm

This big rust area is nowhere near the radio...its as far left under the dash as you can get...

I've pulled the cowl cover and don't see a speck of rust inside that opening as far as I can see (although didn't pull the motor or anything).

I just took the cover off again... I don't see a rusted thru spot in the cowl area? Looks totally normal, and I know it drains more or less like it should since I stuck the hose down there last time I was looking for leaks.

Possibly have to take that driver side fender off, or is that eve going to get me access to that rusted area?

I know your rust area in not near the radio.

I said the wiper motor sits in a panel, that goes across the fire wall, from inner fender to inner fender, inside the fire wall, inside the inner cowl panel.

I got a MJ half tore apart, with the dash out, I'll take some pictures tomorrow and you'll see where I'm going with this.

You will not get to this panel from removing the outer fenders. It's inside the cab.

The only access is from the "top" where the wiper motor and connecting arms sit.

I know your rust area in not near the radio.

I said the wiper motor sits in a panel, that goes across the fire wall, from inner fender to inner fender, inside the fire wall, inside the inner cowl panel.

I got a MJ half tore apart, with the dash out, I'll take some pictures tomorrow and you'll see where I'm going with this.

You will not get to this panel from removing the outer fenders. It's inside the cab.

The only access is from the "top" where the wiper motor and connecting arms sit.

Sorry, misunderstood, I wasn't doubting you Wildman...

so fixing this rust area most likely means yanking the entire dash to work from the inside since you really can't get that far over into the "open" cowl area on the driver side to do any cutting or patching

No, I wouldn't say that, the panel is not just behind the dash, it's enclosed, and the only access is thru the cowl. Although, that might be your case, to open up the inner side of this panel to access it.

I'll post up some pictures for you, and give you an idea what it looks like behind the dash.

This 3 hours difference is getting to me now.......it's past my bed time ya know :roll: