Where does the water come from (Update...Now Windshield!)

I just drove the MJ for the first time in a few days after some fairly significant rain... I noticed the entire passenger side floorboard was pretty much one big puddle...Some on the driver side as well... Windows Up, didn't see any water "drippage" at least anything obvious... I was parted on an include, nose up, in my driveway...

Pulled the Pass. Bucket out and started to shopvac the water up... So far i've sucked more than 2 gallons from the carpet and pad and things are still pretty wet... just on the pass side, and the floor board is muddy as heck... Some rust, but nothing like what some guys have posted pics of... Guess I should take the carpet all the way out and clean everything and hit the rust spots before they get bad...

The carpet is pretty nasty too...might be time to get a replacement from somewhere (recommendations)... Or at least get this one dry and cleaned up...

Bad timing since the rear brakes on my TJ are hurting something fierce after this last snow trip and think some new stuff is going to be required there too.

SW2

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My leaks were - the front windshield was barely attached, the fire wall grommet like JB said, rear window seal, massive hole in floor, door seals, and this one was strange - the seam between the roof and the rain gutter had separated :nuts: . It took my legally blind painter to find that one. He noticed a bit of sunlight coming into the cab.

my guess is wind sheild or rear window gasket area.baby powder will help track em down. also check grommets on the firewall.

Notice the EBrake pedal area seems more "wet" than other spots, but the Pass. side was more wet.

Does someone have a pic with the carpet out? It seems there are drain type holes that are covered with Duct Tape on mine, that does not appear "stock"...

I'll get a pic once I wash the mud off...

Wade

take it out with box cutters, or pull the dash.

those are your choices...take them or leave them lol. I remove mine up to the trans hump on every build...they are water traps and rust promotion.

you can get new carpet through motion offroad. these are not his products, he's just selling them.

take it out with box cutters, or pull the dash.

those are your choices...take them or leave them lol. I remove mine up to the trans hump on every build...they are water traps and rust promotion.

you can get new carpet through motion offroad. these are not his products, he's just selling them.

Thanks Pat... So you hack these out...

dsc09398om6.jpg

Wade

Since you said it was parked on an incline, I would probably say that either your cowl space filled up with water and found a hole or that the rear hood seal is bad and water poured onto the firewall and found a way in. Since you have everything out, park it the way it was and put the water hose on it. You should be able to locate it pretty quick if it let all that water in. As far as the foam padding on the firewall, IMHO I would not trim it as it does provide some sound deadning and heat shielding. Find and fix the leak and then let it dry out (might take some time).

Here's a link that talks about the cowl and possible leak locations.

Click Here

:cheers:

I would get a new carpet from Motion (MOR).

If it were me I would get a vinyl floor. I LOVE mine. I have a leak on my passenger side weatherstripping but none of it can get past the floor so I just dry it with towels after it gets wet. AND, when I got my MJ and lifted the carpet up, absolutely NO rust. Not too many on here that can say that, and I think it is because of the vinyl floor. :cheers:

I would get a new carpet from Motion (MOR).

If it were me I would get a vinyl floor. I LOVE mine. I have a leak on my passenger side weatherstripping but none of it can get past the floor so I just dry it with towels after it gets wet. AND, when I got my MJ and lifted the carpet up, absolutely NO rust. Not too many on here that can say that, and I think it is because of the vinyl floor. :cheers:

pics?

SWII I got some carpet samples from >>>THESE GUYS<<< and the samples are pretty dang great quality.. Might be worth a look.. There close to me, and allow pick-up, so thats a plus for me.. Might not be eco for you though, being youd need them shipped...

Debating Vinyl vs. Carpet right now (my Orig carpet is NOT going back in either way... Serious wet FUNK going on)... it looks like the ACC brand is popular (Motion Offorad sells, RockAuto a little cheaper, etc, etc)... I'm thinking Vinyl might hold up better long term, but it's not like I live where it snows, but does rain, but don't see much mud, so unless I can't find my Water intrusion point, the Carpet might look more OEM, but ???

SWII I got some carpet samples from >>>THESE GUYS<<< and the samples are pretty dang great quality..

I also had to replace my carpet because of a water leak. Bought the ACC plush cut pile without the mass backing from the same place and wasn't very impressed. Its thinner than the oem and the driver's foot pad is smaller. Its not pre-cut so you'll have to cut out holes for the shifter, seat bolts, etc. and trim along the edges. At least being thin helps here, it cuts easily enough with a sharp knife or scissors. The fit is ok, the biggest problem i have is that it's baggy around the front of the tranny hump.

SWII I got some carpet samples from >>>THESE GUYS<<< and the samples are pretty dang great quality..

I also had to replace my carpet because of a water leak. Bought the ACC plush cut pile without the mass backing from the same place and wasn't very impressed. Its thinner than the oem and the driver's foot pad is smaller. Its not pre-cut so you'll have to cut out holes for the shifter, seat bolts, etc. and trim along the edges. At least being thin helps here, it cuts easily enough with a sharp knife or scissors. The fit is ok, the biggest problem i have is that it's baggy around the front of the tranny hump.

That's disappointing... I think the place that JT linked is something different than the ACC stuff, but I could be wrong...

That's disappointing... I think the place that JT linked is something different than the ACC stuff, but I could be wrong...

I didn't really like what i read about ACC carpets so i called stockinteriors specifically to ask if that's what they were selling. They said it wasn't an ACC carpet so i ordered from them...but 4 days later an ACC box showed up. They don't refund shipping in either direction, so i just ended up keeping it and using it temporarily until i find a better alternative.

I may have some scraps laying around; i can put it side by side with the stock carpet and take pics if you want.

I did LOT's of shopping for replacement carpet, and learned that virtually every supplier buys the exact same item from the same mill, with the same quality. I've also heard lot's of complaints about not fitting nearly as well as OEM. Sooo, when I had mine out I first separated the mass backing and dried it thoroughly, then I pressure washed the carpet, then soaked it with enzyme carpet cleaner and scrubbed like hell with a wire brush, then pressure washed it again, and it came out pretty darn good. Took about a week of hot sun to dry it completely, but it sure did fit well. Not sure about the earlier MJ's but mine also had (passenger side only) a thick, vinyl-encapsulated, fiberglass mat to deal with exhaust heat. That was hell to get dry. Ended up taking it out of the wrap, coiling it up, and baking it in the kitchen oven.

I did LOT's of shopping for replacement carpet, and learned that virtually every supplier buys the exact same item from the same mill, with the same quality. I've also heard lot's of complaints about not fitting nearly as well as OEM. Sooo, when I had mine out I first separated the mass backing and dried it thoroughly, then I pressure washed the carpet, then soaked it with enzyme carpet cleaner and scrubbed like hell with a wire brush, then pressure washed it again, and it came out pretty darn good. Took about a week of hot sun to dry it completely, but it sure did fit well. Not sure about the earlier MJ's but mine also had (passenger side only) a thick, vinyl-encapsulated, fiberglass mat to deal with exhaust heat. That was hell to get dry. Ended up taking it out of the wrap, coiling it up, and baking it in the kitchen oven.