'88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

What a prime time for the fuel pump to die!

Bad ground at the pump. One of the wires got pinched when I put the fuel tank back under the truck. Fixed now! Runs again! One happy MJ owner!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI the Eliminator box with the decals sucks to sand blast=) Most of the bottom rust will be replaced with thicker metal panels of the same design only braced. I like what you have done, plus the green grass, as opposed to the brown of winter.

Being an employed "teaching" welder, design a rear bumper to eliminate the rear lower panels on the back of the MJ box and make it tie structurally into the frame. I will build my own, but it may be a good project for your kids. Your truck is looking nice :thumbsup:

Good to hear from you! I totally understand with the decals... had to take off the rest of mine along with those big "Pioneer" stripes on the white pickup box.

Where's that build page of yours?

Little bit more done... but one step back. Overspray. :ack:

It rubs right off... I suppose I should've expected it.

Started on the interior and the bulk of the bed liner. After that, I think I'm just going to start from the front and work my way back in some kind of attempt at a plan. I do need a bunch of little interior parts that have always been broken, cracked or just missing since I bought the truck. The carpet came out okay too. A whole bottle of carpet cleaner and the local self-serve car wash later and only the deep stains still remain... way better then it was though. I also finished the t-case shifter I started almost four years ago form when I did the 4wd swap... didn't want the stock shifter. How do I know I'm in gear? It clunks!

Went JY huting this morning in search of some stuff: under-hood insulation, door handles (inside and out), dash face and lower portion, mirrors (my truck has never had a driver side mirrow for as long as I've owned it!) and a bunch of odds and ends. I also found a set of seats out of a 2001 Ford Escape in super nice shape for $80 or the pair... they don't look too complicated for adapting to our seat rails either. We'll see how that goes!

Is very nice , yes !

Are ya' still coming down to the springs ?

Thanks, dude!... but bad news about the Colorado trip: my hours increased dramatically for this summer due to an expansion of the welding shop at my school. In a sense it's great!... but it's going to eat up all of the free time I had planned for this summer. (That's what happens when you're the new guy: summer projects get dropped in my lap, but I am insuring a place for myself for future years.) Sorry, man... I was totally looking forward to it but bigger plans are in the works. The wife still has relatives out there so I guaranty we'll be out there sometime. I'll let you know when!

Started getting the seats mocked up on Sunday. The bottom cushions are about the same width as the stock MJs so everything fits great! I need to make up some frame adapters this week, but it doesn't look too bad as far as everything lining up. These seats are fresh from the JY... dirty, but will clean up nice!

I also decided to go with Grand Cherokee door handles on my truck. After seeing MJPDM's build, I liked the look of the bigger handles.

• 3 weeks later...

So close!!! All I've got left is to finish the front end, put tail lights in, finish my rear bumper, figure out what I'm going to do as far as wheels, undercoat, and a good cleaning of everything... then... I guess the next project? Almost strange to think that I won't have this to work on for too much longer.

My bumper needs to be shortened at both ends due to the fact that the truck I built it for had the box corners cut off. Also, I'm adding a tire carrier on the driver's side of it to keep it out of the pickup bed... yeah, I do love the look of it in the box, but with only a 6' long space, every bit of it is prime realestate!

I had plenty of stripes to work with (enough to do another truck, actually!). The kit that I used was awesome, but I don't remember my old stripes being that reflective.

All in all, still very happy with how my little truck is turning out.

You know you'll never really be done with it , if you get another project that one will feel left out ... :yes:

You'll start feeling guilty and find something to do to it .

Technically, the MJ is the other project... the first being my VW Beetle, next in line is a fiberglass dune buggy! They all get their time to be worked on... kind of a rotaion. Besides, they all get along fine! I don't think any of them would feel left out!

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to hit the key with it all finished... or at least finished for now!

• 2 weeks later...

I decided today that my truck needed a light bar across the top. I've been kicking around the idea of just a roll bar, but I had a Yakima roof rack off of a Cherokee that was just begging to be cut up for it's mounts. Pictures to come...

I just threw some lights on that I had around... there will be four facing forward and one towards the rear.

The way that it mounts on the drip rail, I can mount it either at the front of the cab or at the rear as it is now... I like both! Not entirely sure how or where I'm going to run the wires up there... thoughts?

So... I've got this problem that I not quite finish a project and I'm on another. Now I'm thinking about the spare tire and the rear bumper. I know that I want it out of the bed but I'm torn on if I want it hanging off the back or not. Don't get me wrong... I totally dig the look, but with my little 31s, I don't want the truck to get too long and out of proportion.

Huge thanks to Hubbell and CW for inspiration! For example:

Awesome!

Awesome!

... but these are rolling on much bigger shoes than mine!

Hm... maybe...

Yup, it's gonna happen! I did want it to swing out and to the side, but with reworking the bumper off of my old gray truck, it just won't work the way I wanted. Downward is how it's just going to have to be without much fuss. Stay tuned.

It happened!... almost. Still need to finish welding it, but I was going to take the whole works off of the truck for paint and additional welding on the bumper itself. With this being the first time I had this bumper on the truck with the box on, I noticed that there is a bigger gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate... kinda bummed about this. Probably due to the fact that the frame on the gray truck was all twisted and crooked. :dunno: I can't believe how terrible a couple of my pictures turned out, but you can still see what's going on.

Still plenty of space between the mount and the tailgate.

Just to be sure, I tossed on one of my "big" wheels on to see if it'll fit too for the day that this truck sees 33s.

I'll finish it up tomorrow.

• neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023