'88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderfull build man i love it. I have a neighbor who works at a technical school in nashville. He always has them working on one if his tractors or something haha. Right now he has them working on our bull dozer, but they think it's his haha. Great gig though people get to learn how to do things and other people get things done for free. win win. But anyway i love the truck its gorgeous :cheers:

Thanks! Always nice to see another Eliminator... gotta love those long stripes!

niceeee projects! I want that motor!! whered u get that rear bumper for the grey MJ???

Thanks DirtEatR! That bumper is a custom build unit I made about two years ago. It's getting the ends cut in a little but so it'll fit on the red truck without cutting the box corners... that motor is a lot of fun too!

• 2 weeks later...

So I went on this 400 mile, round trip, get away this morning and came back with this:

It came from an '89 Pioneer and has been sitting on a shelf for the last 14 years! Cost me $250 plus the gas to go get it. Over all, this thing is solid! I thought that my truck box was okay looking, but when I got back and saw them next to each other... well... I was a little disapointed in what I was happy with for so many years. The floor is well used, but it is just as solid as the rest of it.

There is one little catch, however... the front left corner has a small dent that I'm pretty sure will come out with a slide hammer fairly easy.

Over all, this box is super straight and is a huge jump in time for me instead of fabricating new lower panels for my box.

Old:

New:

Before I left the salvage yard, I asked the guy behind the desk if there was anything left of the rest of the truck... a front axle, a fender, and the spare tire holder. Wait! They took off the spare tire holder, but they left the taillights and the tailgate?! Oh well. I've got two good tailgates now and two extra sets of taillights. Can't wait to prep this for paint... still want to get doors (want to go '97 and newer for the one piece door glass) and maybe a right fender.

Got a little done today... I took care of that pesky dent in the corner of the new box and started on fitting my old grey Eliminator's front bumper to this truck.

In comparison to what it was, I'm pretty happy with how it came out! I'm putting bed liner from the trim down so I'm not worried about using any bondo or anything... should cover and hide it well, I think.

Then I moved on to the bumper and everything fit up great! I used the hoop off of the old one for the new-to-it bumper.

Kinda nice seeing it with some of its face again!

As for the old box... anybody need a decent box with a good floor?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22187

• 4 weeks later...

This is an awsome build. I read through it all but I may have missed this. What radiator and fans are you using?

Also, why did you not go SOA? Too much lift? Just curious on that. I noticed on the 8.25 you made provisions for doing it with the spring perches.

Nice work. It makes me want to get back on mine. :D

This is an awsome build. I read through it all but I may have missed this. What radiator and fans are you using?

Also, why did you not go SOA? Too much lift? Just curious on that. I noticed on the 8.25 you made provisions for doing it with the spring perches.

Nice work. It makes me want to get back on mine. :D

The radiator is a stock unit and the fans are just 10" aftermarket.

As for not going SOA... yup, too much lift... for now! I added them just because I had the whole axle out and I had to move the stock spring perches on the 8.25. Why not, right? If I ever want to go SOA then all I ave to do is unbolt and swap... everything is already there!

Good call on making the SOA an easy change should you want or need to. :thumbsup:

Thanks again man! I try and fabricate a little different than most, I think. I hate redoing what I have already done at one time... all the sanding off paint and remeasuring and this and that... just do it once and give yourself options!

FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!... without the runs. I'm super excited how it turned out... I literally just got done painting so I'll let it all settle down and go out a snap some pictures. :rock on: 

Bear with me... the flash on the camera kinda messes with the actual color of the truck. The red of the over spray on the floor matches what the truck really looks like. Next is to paint my silver stripe to match the factory decal kit I have, add some bed liner from the lowest body line down, clean up my shop, and start putting this little truck back together!

• neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023