'88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

It's back!... out of storage anyhow. Here's a recap from before winter until now: After the power windows went it, I enjoyed it for a little while longer and then it got put away for storage. Not much happened during this time and that's how it should be. Fast forward a few months and Austin (xjrev10) was interested in buying my other '88. He did. While picking up the truck, his first shake down run was to the place that I had the truck sitting for winter. I took a good look around at it, hoped in, and hit the key. Fired right up! Then after a short drive home the issue of a leaking fuel rail was more than present. This was not quite a month ago. Well, the urge to put this back into the daily driver position brought me to finally fix it. A quick trip to the local salvage yard and a generous '89 XJ later, I had myself a leak free rail. Hopefully I can just drive this for a while as is and pick at little things as I can. First on the list is a sign of things to come:

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Hopefully I can just drive this for a while as is and pick at little things as I can...

... or not.

Fix one leak just to find one that's way worse to deal with. On top of that and to add insult to injury:

Yup. I wanted to take out the plastics around the windshield and broke an a pillar. The left side was already broken but it wasn't noticeable.

:headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop:

I went out and had the windshield looked at today. It's raining today so it was easy to see where it was leaking. The problem... yup... the "r" word. A couple small leaks came up where some surface rust had popped the seal. "Not a huge deal" I was told and I waited around until the windshield was out so I could see it for myself. He was right... not a real big deal but we all know that rust never sleeps. The rust was cleaned up (for now anyhow) and a new piece of glass was installed. Looking over everything, I've got some new scratches to touch up at the top of the frame.

It's just a sinking feeling that everything is sealed up again just to know that someday it'll return. At the same time it's incredibly frustrating to try and try to keep something nice just to know that it won't last. As a consolation, the glass guy did say that it's the best frame on an '80s vehicle that he'd ever worked on. Yeah... thanks for that nugget of praise.

Bummed... bummed out is the best way to describe it right now. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to putting the interior back together this evening. I replaced the broken a-pillar with another one off the shelf. Everything else went back together just fine. I ran the wires for the new a-pillar gauges while everything was apart too. Going to have a trans and oil temp visuals now! It'll be a little while until I finish the wiring, however. The camper is taking priority right now then the next project needs to be a new shop. It really won't be that much to run wires to some sensors, but I can't tell you how much I despise working in my garage right now... zero space and I'm not about to do anything more than I have to out there.

Touched up the scratches at the top of the windshield too... this truck needs a bath badly! I didn't do anything with the water stained headliner yet. Not sure what I'll use just yet but for now I just wanted it back together.

On an upside, I figured it would be a great time to upgrade to some '97+ door seals. These things are nice! Had a great set on the shelf that has been waiting to go in for over a year now.

Another bit of a downer is at the valve cover. My old '88 did this same thing that the engine just comes alive up and over 2500 rpm. Changing out the valve cover on the other truck brought it back to life like the snorkles were all plugged up and it couldn't vent properly. For how long ago this engine was built, I can't even remember if I cleaned them out when it was apart... I like to think I did though. Anyhow, this is doing the same thing. Ho-hum power until you really tromp on the skinny pedal then it really wakes up.

... still bummed. :(

Just got into work and I can finally say that the fuel leak is over!... but the valve cover is leaking right over the thermostat housing. Close one door just to open another. :roll: Anyhow... I haven't driven this truck for a while and the additional fuel pressure seems to help. Go figure, right?

Go figure that the first time in a while that it really rains here is the night that I can't park this truck in the garage. Guess what?! The windshield still leaks at the top... yet another bummer of an update.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, it's time to change gears from Archer back to this truck. I've got a few projects that need to be both finished and started. There's the added gauges in the a-pillar, going through the under hood electrical and giving everything a good cleaning, general cleaning and finishing, and getting it to cool properly. Been following along on a bunch of "my truck is overheating" threads so I've got a bunch of things to look at. One thing that I started years ago but just never finished the follow-through is a electric fan setup. Everything is mostly wired, I just needed another fan and to make up a shroud. I mocked things up on Archer since it's easier to work with:

Definitely need to do away with the studs:

More to come.

On to the real deal for the fans. I rearranged the garage so the Eliminator and Archer switched spots. For mounting the new shroud in the truck, there weren't any surprises being that it was mocked up in the other truck. The mechanical fan came out, and the electric fans went in. I slapped a little foam tape along the top edge of the radiator support just to fill the gap. It wasn't even 1/4" but it fit fairly tight all the way around and the top just bugged me.

Everything wired and in place:

It's tight, but everything fits with plenty of room between the pulleys and the fans. I haven't really run it with it all together just yet... currently tracing around a coolant leak. I decided to finally get the new gauges working too. Hey, it's only been a year since I first put them there! The oil temperature sensor was just teed in with the pressure sensor. I know... it's not ideal as a bung in the oil pan, but that'll get address if/when I drop the pan next.

Same deal for the transmission temperature sensor.

Everything works! (The gauge lights are on... I promise.)

I was really hoping to start driving the truck again tomorrow... almost happened too. I got rid of a leaking heater control valve along with fixing the leaking thermostat housing and valve cover gasket. All that was left was to change the oil. Low and behold, no filter. Well... I guess I'll start driving it another day this week.  :shake:

Anyway, always nice to see things just as clean as how I left them under the valve cover:

Still need to do a little more clean up under the hood, but that can happen whenever:

2013 shake down run this morning was great! Just got home from work a few hours ago, but I decided to take the long way home. It was nice... I know I always say that it's like having a conversation with an old friend that you haven't seen in a while, but this afternoon was exactly that. There was something bugging me though. The poor truck was still wearing its "storage dirt". So I figure that since tonight is graduation night for my students, I couldn't let anyone of them out dress me for the evening!

• 3 months later...

Thanks, dude! Making plans for next year already. Hauling around crap all week really made me start thinking about the brakes... sometimes lack there of. It already has ZJ rear disks but I never did anything with the proportioning valve other than a "custom" zip tie to keep it in the most pressure position.  :doh:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023