'88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Came home from work. Rolled window down. Window riser is shot. I knew that the window riser was shot. Window would not roll up. Tried to roll window up with a little help from a needle nosed pliers. Pliers slipped off of edge of window. Window explodes into a bazillion pieces. Didn't take any pictures.

:fs1: :wall: :fs1: :wall: :fs1: :wall: :fs1: :wall: :fs1: :wall: :fs1: :wall: :fs1: :wall: :fs1:

Time for new window riser. Time for new window. Might as well swap in power options. Very frustrated right now.

:doh:

Rob

For reals. Just when I'm trying to enjoy this truck after its long slumber, this happens along with the rash of injector leaks. I thought that I had the leaks fixed only to get Rick-Rolled into this episode.

Yep, ain't it fun? Just when you think you're 'bout done and everything's "right" to your specs, something jumps up and bites you in the arse. But in this case you caused the bite mate. Don't be hard on yourself, we have all done something stupid on our rigs a time or two causing temporary pain to the rig and even more pain to yourself. Just learn from it and move on. :cheers:

Time to go electric. Get your new regulators below. Quality built in Italy; better, cheaper, and faster than the crapola originals. In this case aftermarket is mucho better than OEM. Doesn't happen often.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=JE01-K

... Don't be hard on yourself, we have all done something stupid on our rigs a time or two causing temporary pain to the rig and even more pain to yourself. Just learn from it and move on. :cheers:

Thanks dude. Getting right back on the horse tomorrow. I've been very lucky for the great weather over the past couple days what without a window... a bit chilly in the mornings, but workable. I looked into the aftermarket window risers and I'm thinking that I'm going to go with factory for now just based off of price alone. With that, I'm starting all over again at building my reputation at the local salvage yards... so many yards around MN don't let anyone walk through and pick their own parts anymore, but apparently if you talk to the right people, drop some names, and promise to behave then they'll give you a shot. This particular salvage yard has five MJs! I'll be sure to take note of anything exciting.

I'll be sure to take note of anything exciting.

No... nothing exciting to report. The reported five MJs turned out to be one and a number of Dakota piles. I got some awesome parts however, and the day went well. The only parts that I didn't find were power window door panels (no hole for the window crank). There was a super nice blue interior in an XJ that I thought about pulling the panels from thinking that I might try some interior dyes on... but if I'm going to dye some interior parts, I already have a set ready to go!

Relax... I won't be playing around with the black door panels. :thwak: ... not so sure if Ted Holland knows my new address yet anyway.

:thumbsup:

Thanks again for the diagram! That mixed with the factory diagram for the locks made for some real easy wiring.

WOW those are fast.. :wrench: good job. now i want some in my truck!

I thought so too. The window regulators came out of a '95 XJ but I do notice that the passenger side is slightly slower. The left side looked much newer as if it had been replaced before the vehicle was sent out to pasture. When it came to the ease of installing and making up the cross-body harnes, I don't think there is any reason not to add power windows!

• 3 weeks later...
what was the final tally on the the parts to make it power? I would love to do this to my truck but don't know that i can afford it

The door switches and the door harnesses came from a truck for next to nothing. The cross-body harness was made up for next to nothing. Window and lock regulators were about $60 from a local yard. Add a few hours of instal and call it a day.

I'm going to a u-pull it on Monday to get some other parts, but I need new regulators anyway. Do you have a part list of everything I should grab while I'm there? I'd love to add the power functions to my '88.

Sure!

• 1. Window regulators
    2. Lock regulators (grab the little arms that go from the regulator to the lock itself too)
    3. Wiring to the regulators (I didn't really worry about what year I pulled the parts from, but the plugs are different the newer that you go. I pulled the parts form a '95 XJ and spliced the wiring.)
    4. Cross-body wiring harness if it's easy to get to... otherwise it's pretty easy to make one up
    5. Door switches
    6. Under-dash to door switch wiring harnesses
    7. Door panels without the hole for the window crank

As far as the wiring goes, since I made up my own cross-body harness, I used the factory electrical manual found HERE.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the power options swap. Thanks to mfpdm, the Eliminator got a fancy set of door panels today. They are a "re-flowered" version what what was there... no window crank hole. I had to move over my map pockets, but otherwise everything went well. Thanks again, Paul!

Had the trucks out for some pictures today also.

Heya Ben, was wondering where you got the Eliminator decal set?? I just want the "ELIMINATOR" that goes on the bedside

JeepSticker has just the "ELIMINATOR" decal.

JeepSticker

Otherwise, years ago there was this dude on Ebay that made the full set. He does't list them, but when I bought mine he told me that he has a rotation that he lists but could make any of his past products whenever.

Dude on Ebay

Thanks! Starting to think about putting this one away for winter. Hoping that I'm able to stow it away in a friend's machine shed. Otherwise, I've got room for it... just need to back it out of the garage when other activities are happening. They're saying snow possible this week!

• neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023