'88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

my rear... fold down from an amc eagle

But if the need is there, how much would it be worth to you to make another?

thats a tuf question cause i have to factor shipping to ak... i was looking into the tomken tow plate,http://www.quadratec.com/products/76045_801.htm

for $115 and $90 shipping :ack: but yours is more hidden which i like but i think i can get one made for that price... or buy a welder, the list is sooo long

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a tuf question cause i have to factor shipping to ak... i was looking into the tomken tow plate,http://www.quadratec.com/products/76045_801.htm

for $115 and $90 shipping :ack: but yours is more hidden which i like but i think i can get one made for that price... or buy a welder, the list is sooo long

... and the issue of time to do it on my part. I'm already hoping to finish my truck before spring... and that's almost a long shot! Maybe come time when it gets warmer here we could figure something out?

Big progress today... I got the 8.25" mounted! I've got a Dakota rubber line to go in and new hard lines to go out to each wheel. The rusted rotors are just for mocking up... getting those turned before it's back on the road. Gave it all a good coat of black hammered paint too:

Now moving on to make the front match the rear: I got the ball joints out (that have always been bad since I swapped in that axle four years ago...) and the carrier with a set of 4.10s to go in. I've got a truss template made up and I'll box in the control arm mount while I'm at it... making up a diff cover to match the rear too. I'm also kicking around the idea of using WJ control arms for now as I only have about four inches of lift (probably more lift and long arms in the future). The plan as of now is to get the axle built up for future stronger internals as money allows. I'm calling this "phase three". Phase one was the original lift and 4wd swap, phase two was the engine, phase three is goint back through the suspension and refining everything, and phase four will be the bodywork and paint.

... gotta have the "cool guy holes" too!

... gotta have the "cool guy holes" too!

Yah, they are great but I would not make them that big. Also I'd put them somewhere else than where the tube goes into the cast center section...that's the spot that you want the most strength to be at! :thumbsup:

Yah, they are great but I would not make them that big. Also I'd put them somewhere else than where the tube goes into the cast center section...that's the spot that you want the most strength to be at! :thumbsup:

Totally not making them that big... even I don't think I'm cool enough to pull off that big of "cool guy holes"!

Small change of plans as far as the control arms are concerned... no longer going with the WJ arms. I found these locally:

Rubicon Express fixed lowers and adjustable uppers both with rebuildable joints at the frame... brand new for $250!

Big day... got the axle back in after the new control arms. Made up my truss and control arm plate and got those on too. Finished it up with some hammered black paint to match the rear.

Hoping to get the coils and calipers back under it tomorrow.

That looks really good. How did you get the plate made for the passenger upper?

Thanks, kid! I cut out the basic shape out of 3/16" plate and then I just clamped it to my work bench and bent it a little... reclamp about a half an inch forward and bent... reclamp, bend... and so on. Then I did something similar for the bend on the face of it.

I got the coils and the track bar back in today... finally for the first time my truck has coils that don't look like macaroni noodles!

Before:

After:

• 2 weeks later...
what model hitch do yo have on the front?

That's a custom unit made of 1/4" stainless. It's going to be in the way when the winch bumper goes on though... so it's gonna go on the shelf for now.

Also, gotta wait for getting the new-to-me box. My trailer is held up for a few weeks with my YJ buddy... that's what I get for being "that guy with the trailer". :shake:

what model hitch do yo have on the front?

That's a custom unit made of 1/4" stainless. It's going to be in the way when the winch bumper goes on though... so it's gonna go on the shelf for now.

Also, gotta wait for getting the new-to-me box. My trailer is held up for a few weeks with my YJ buddy... that's what I get for being "that guy with the trailer". :shake:

thanks, i just read the rest of the thread and revised that post a minute ago lol.

i think I'm gonna go with the drawtite one.

Nice, nice build! Getting an MJ in about August for my DD.. I have a 98 TJ right now.. :waving: but I can't wait until I have that MJ... It will be free too :) used to be my grandpas but went to my Uncle then it's going to me to fix up and stuff

What do you teach? Auto Mechanics I guess right? haha I'm going to school for that too.

Wonderfull build man i love it. I have a neighbor who works at a technical school in nashville. He always has them working on one if his tractors or something haha. Right now he has them working on our bull dozer, but they think it's his haha. Great gig though people get to learn how to do things and other people get things done for free. win win. But anyway i love the truck its gorgeous :cheers:

• neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023