new guy, big project

I'm in granby MA not CT so i am a bit farther then you think, its on the other side of springfield about 30-40 mins from hartford

def cme up saturday if you wanna spin a few wrenches or just stand and laugh while the rest of us do

Yea, I know where you are...I get up there with some regularity. I like to run "MA-BELL" when ever I get the chance!! :chillin: ..... Thanks for the invite!!

CW

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I HAVE A ROLLING F'ing CHASSIS FINIALLY

problem tho, i either need to loose all my lights (don't want to do) or i need 4" YJ lift springs

???????????????ANYONE HAVE 4" LIFT SPRINGS FOR A YJ??????????????

ok

this first pic shows how little clearence i have in the front

the front brackets are not finished, i will be boxing inbetween them but i wanted a rolling chassis so i stoped there last night

today adam and i mounted the tool box, mounted the gas tank, changed around the bumper and fit it between the frame rails, (still have some plating to do there) and mounted the spare

we need some burgers and beer

Looks friggin amazing. I wouldn't ever get in your way. At least not in the Sami....

Looks like if you could get some arch in those front springs, you could pull the tires down and back. Save your lights. Maybe just add in a donor leaf (an archy one) and some slightly longer shackles. Thats my usual cheap input. Or you can buy new leaf packs.

Derek.... Nice rig man. I do see a problem or two that I can speak of from experience. One remove a leaf spring from the rear. YOu have lots les weight back ther, and once you get to flexing you will know what I am talking about when you start hanging a tire 3' in the air. Also the way you got your spare mounted will cause damage to your gas tank, especially if you get to bouncing. Next Invest in a fuel cell. They are cheap, and afford good roll over protection from fuel spillage. If you need a list of parts I used on my junk, I will be happy to give it too you.

Now on to the front of your rig.... You need a touch more lift, and still have to hack the fender out of the way.

Lastly you have come so far to the darkside.. now complete your training and hack the frame off :nanner:

ill see about the springs, these packs are already pretty soft

the tire is not going to be touching the tank, when i finish it it will be resting on the cage back there

i know i needed more lift, if you read above i talk about it, that was addressed today with a nearly 300 mile trip to get 7-leaf waggy springs, now the front sites perfect and the shakle angle is alot better also

the fenders are in the precces of being hacked, i no longer have a blinker and i only have 1/2 of the side marker

and no reason to go that far now as this rig is to be wheeled till i fold it in half, and then build a tube buggy

ok yesterday felt like a waste but it was needed

drove 2hrs each way only to pull 4 7-leaf waggys in about 30 mins and then head back home

anyway, got home and installed the springs, while they give me the lift i desperately needed i also used them to push the axle another inch forward, ending up with 119.5" wheelbase, that made some different clearance issues tho

so then we started "trimming" i no longer have anything under the headlight, ie no blinkers, and only saved half the marker light. then i got rid of everything under the headlight with some creative sawzall and BFH work, still need to do the pass side

DAYS TO BE FINISHED: 10

- install front brakes

- install tranny

- install t-case

- finish steering

- install hydro steer

- build + install drive shafts

- build cage

- finish trim job

- wire lights + other misc wiring

- all fluids

- front bumper (if time permits)

- install new seats and harness (if time permits)

- wire brakes on trailer

DAYS TO BE FINISHED: 8

- install front brakes

DONE - install tranny

DONE - install t-case

- finish steering

- install hydro steer

- build + install drive shafts

- build cage

DONE - finish trim job

- wire lights + other misc wiring

- all fluids

- front bumper (if time permits)

- install new seats and harnesses, now needed as i had to cut out the floor for the t-case to be clocked up and lost my old mounts on the passengers side

DONE - finish front mounting brackets

- rework floor after cutting for t-case

the plan for this evening, get it running, all fluids in, install brakes and bled, do nitpicky things like wiring and such

last night i got the exhaust ready to be bent up, which is getting done today

brakes are all hooked up and bled, pedal feels nice and stiff, hopefully i won't have to bleed them again

did some other misc crap

then loaded it on the trailer, what a b*@$£, i need this thing running

goal for the weekend, have it DRIVE onto the trailer on monday

caged, with new seats and harnesses

then i will just have nit picky stuff to do next week and can hopefully get it out for a test run some afternoon next week

ok drug it into work with me this am, gotta head over to get the exhaust done at 8

it is more forward on the trailer then i would like, but untill i do something with those ramps this is where it will have to sit, maybe i can do something this weekend

anyone wants to help this weekend in worcester let me know and ill give you my cell number

OMG what a long weekend

cliff notes: from friday at 5pm till monday night at about 8pm we got less then 18hrs of sleep and the rest was jeep work, we didnt even go out to the bar

pulled front axle to mount ram and fix steering arms, which had been drilled for heims, so we needed to make some tapered bungs for them on the lathe then weld those in too

WPI motorsport garage

tig tig tig

midnight ish in the shop, getting kinda tired

more tig

approaching 2am in the shop

nasty tig'd ram mount

owen working on the floor from where i cut it to fit the tcase

more shots of how the steering works with such low lift, hydro, and sick tigd pitman arm. i don't have any pics of it before we put it in but its very slick and only drops enough to clear the unibody so i could have as much uptravel as possible

the lines are long, going to try and get shorter ones made, or just get them out of the way

that were the pics stop on my camera, we worked on the seat and harness mounts yesterday and started the cage but ran out of time and everybody was dead tired. so i am heading back there today to finish the cage and bring it home. i will take lots of pictures i promise. i almost called out of work today to work on it, but with taking friday off already i just couldnt do it

left to do in the next 3 days:

cage and install harnesses

figure out some wiring issuses

route breathers and hydro lines

find a PS cap

check fluids

should be done tonight i would think

maybe ill test it out tomorrow afternoon? anyone up for a little ride out here in western MA

oh ya and more info i forgot to post before is about driveshafts

we made junkyard shafts, and to tell you the truth i don't think they could have come out straighter

so on the dana 300 you can swap either output yoke with one from a XJ with a 231 or 241 i forget which it is, so i put on in the front because that allowed me to use an xj front shaft which has a cv on it so it clears the cross member perfect and has enough angle for alot of droop, had to lengthen it 1" to make it work with mine

also when bolting a d300 to an AW4 and using pass side drop you will need to do something about the tranny cooler lines which are on that side. we found a 90* fitting in the shop that worked pefectly for the rear line, and then cut the crappy plastic compression fitting of and used a compreesion fitting after flaring the stock line and bent it out of the way, the front line will work with a little bend out of the way

rear shaft is made from 2 different shafts, the lower part (axle end) is from a blazer and uses a conversion joint, the top end is from a xj with a SYE that we found in the junkyard and has plenty of slip, sleeved the shafts and welded up, straight as an arrow

all 1310 joints except for the conversion on the 14b end

ok

well we got the cage bent up and welded last night, main hoop right behind the cab, crass bar to mount the harnesses to, and a brace from corner to corner, then it has to braces back to the rear of the frame that cross in the middle, i want to add atleast one more brace to the rear of the X

ill get pics up tonight as i left my camera here at work yesterday

left to do this afternoon:

- mount harnesses and seat covers

- shocks

- bumpstops

- check all fluid levels again

- couple small patches for the floor

- remount tool box to work with cage

- try and figure out why i don't have low beams

- remount gas filler neck (in the way of getting the spare in)

- adjust and tighten all jam nuts on steering

- PS cap

- collect tools and extra parts

ill probably think of more this afternoon

and i know how you guys love my latenightinthegaragecantsee$#!&pics so i took some last night when i forgot to take some in the afternoon

needs:

shocks mounted

front bumpstops mounted

brakes are squishy as hell, go to the floor then stop