Project JDMJ... tube flares and new paint

I realized that I needed some tire coverage since whenever I have the window down, I ge covered with whatever I drive through. I looked around and determined that I had trimmed too much sheet metal off the fenders to use any aftermarket flares, so I decided to make my own.

I used 1.5" DOM tubing (since I had leftover from my cage build) and 20 gage sheet metal.

Here is the 'frame' of the flare bent up and tacked in place

It attaches to my bumper mounts at the front, and it is bolted to them so I am still able to remove my bumper. And welded to my rock rail in the rear.

fully welded, decided to move them up just a little to help with the gap at the top

here they are finished with the sheet metal welded on. it is fully welded on both sides and ground somewhat smooth. I used a very little amount of spot putty to smooth the seam out where needed.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Still need to do the other side. I have the flare bent up, just need to get around to welding it in place.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the comments, the tube is easy enough to bend up, since I wrote all the angles down, but the sheet metal would be specific to each vehicle I think, depending on where your rock rail is, or how dented your fender is.

I'll snap a few pics from further away this afternoon. :thumbsup:

that is pretty much exactly what i want to do...someday.

swing by pontiac steel for some tube and the party store for some beer, and we can bend up a set some weekend.

here are the pics from further away as requested

GREAT JOB!!

I have had that floating around in my head for some time.... I once tried to bend up some to fit inside the factory flair to "reinforce" it... didn't work so well...

They really look great, great idea!!!!

CW

• 1 year later...

After building my fender flares, the paint was looking a little rough, so I decided to repaint it. Cost about $120 for everything, I think it turned out pretty good/....

Couldn't stand the yellow cage anymore, so it got a fresh paint too.

Also made a little switch panel for my ARB and winch controls

Now I just need a new windshield and it'll be like a new truck again!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I was doing homework and then saw this and man i love it. I'm a big John deere guy so i love the paint. I really wanting to build a  roll bar like that in the bed, but i have a HP30 that I'm trying to find the money to get re geared. I so wish i could get paid for going to high school.