Project JDMJ... tube flares and new paint

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some pictures/info on the interior cage...

Truck looks great too!

I don't have a whole lot of info on the cage, but its a D&C Extreme XJ cage. They gave me a heck of a deal on buying just the b pillar forward. The seat belt bar didn't fit, I'll have to make a new one, I ended up using it for the windshield spreader to gain a little more head room.

I plan on putting a tube between the a pillar and b pillar along the floor, then tying the seats into it. On the under side, I will tie the feet plates into the rock rails. Then make a matching b pillar hoop and some down bar to put in the bed behind the cab.

Does it really have a 4.7 in it? We need to see a build thread for that!!!!!!! jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gif

I had a great write up on the stroker, but the site it was on went down and most of it was lost. I have a few pics left and some info on the parts I used.

Block - Jeep 4.0 Casting 53008405

Head - Jeep 4.0 Casting 7120

Crankshaft - 1977 Jeep 4.2 Casting 0.3214723 12 counterweights, 66lb, 64mm nose

Camshaft - Crane CRN-753905

Pistons - Sealed Power Cast Aluminum 677P - 17.5cc

Springs - Mopar Performance 5249464

Rod Bearings - Clevite CB-960P-20

Main Bearings - Federal Mogul FM7211M.030

Cam Bearings - Clevite SH-549S

Injectors - Ford 24# Denso F1TE-D5A

Mopar Performance Gasket Set

here's a few pics

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

and the results of desktop dyno 264 Horse, 310 ft-lbs

Image Not Found

Hey Blue;

You the same guy I discussed the two electric fan mod at length with on NAXJA? No longer needed anymore?

Nope, must have been another blue xj. I haven't been on NAXJA in at least 3 months.

There are 4"x4" feet plates welded to the floor above the frame rails for the b-pillar feet. For the a-pillar feet, there are 5x5" feet plate welded to the floor, and when I get a chance, there will be a foot plate on the underside of the floor that will get bolted to the inside one, then a piece of tube from that plate to the mounting arm of my rock rail, which is welded to the frame.

I'd like to see some pictures/info on the interior cage...

Truck looks great too!

I don't have a whole lot of info on the cage, but its a D&C Extreme XJ cage. They gave me a heck of a deal on buying just the b pillar forward. The seat belt bar didn't fit, I'll have to make a new one, I ended up using it for the windshield spreader to gain a little more head room.

I plan on putting a tube between the a pillar and b pillar along the floor, then tying the seats into it. On the under side, I will tie the feet plates into the rock rails. Then make a matching b pillar hoop and some down bar to put in the bed behind the cab.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Cool MJ, nice fitting cage. Shouldn’t there be some triangulation…?

Hey Blue;

You the same guy I discussed the two electric fan mod at length with on NAXJA? No longer needed anymore?

No that was me. I have yet to instal the fans. I have all the parts to do so but so far I am keeping cool. Changed the fan clutch over to a ZJ HD one and that seems to have helped.

Woops I guess I stole this thread but I do have a question for the other BlueXJ and that is about your hood. I want to make mine and not buy the Quadratec one. is that what you did?

• 2 weeks later...

Woops I guess I stole this thread but I do have a question for the other BlueXJ and that is about your hood. I want to make mine and not buy the Quadratec one. is that what you did?

I made it myself, I took a second hood and took the outer skin off of it, cut it to the correct shape, bent the edges down and then welded it on. I also cut out the old hood under the area of the scoop, it is fully functional and you can see the heat pouring out of the back of the hood all the time.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

the tape was there to seal the door up, its the only tape i could find in my garage :D :D

the lid does not hit the cb, at least i don't think it does, never really noticed. the cb is getting relocated overhead once i make the mounting bracket to mount it to the cage.

• 2 months later...

I managed to get some more work done to this. I picked up a set of doors from a 99 XJ, along with the shifters and center console. I painted the doors this weekend, but I'll probably wait till the week after Christmas to install them. I did however get the console and newer shifters in, along with some more cage work. I'll let the pictures do the talking, the cage is 1.5" .120 wall DOM.

I'm going to try to dye the dash gray to make it match.

Image Not Found

Added door bars and a couple overhead bars to build an overhead console from

Seat belt bar

Not a bad notch for doing it by hand with a grinder, this is about how all of them look. Now only if my welds turned out just as good. :eek:

I also picked up a bed mounted toolbox at Lowes for a killer price

Image Not Found

Bent up a b-hoop to match the contour of the cab

added some down bars

The rear portion is tied into my rock rails and rear wheel wells, both of which will get some tube for reinforcement over the holiday break.

Also built a track bar brace to help stiffen up the front end. Actually made a noticeable difference

what made you decide on the flex joint/heim (hard to tell exactly what it is) for the tracbar brace?

Its just a basic heim joint. I figured I just needed a joint to tie the two rails together, it won't ever really see any movement. Heims are easy to work with and have a little misalignment built into them in case I couldn't package the bar perfectly straight across. I got these pretty cheap too, they are just the greaseable heims from McMaster Carr. They are rated for 50,000 pounds and it cost me less than $40 shipped for the two heims, two tube inserts and jam nuts. The tubing was just scrap I had left over.

• 1 month later...