breaking into your vehicle (lost keys)

That is correct oizarod115...

Using the dipstick you might be able to unlock the doors

without breaking any windows

that way you can have something hidden to open the truck instead of an obvious key

of course, this depends greatly on your ability to open the hood without getting inside the vehicle... :popcorn: :dunno:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to keep a key in my wallet, but it liked to fall out and I was too lazy to secure in it there.

My mom has a spare, so If I'm nearby she can come let me out. Otherwise I'll do what I did last time... Take the grill off, pop the hood latch, then directly hotwire the electric door lock. (Aftermarket, system doesn't work, but the actuator is still in the drivers side with wires doing into the engine bay.)

This thread is just chock full of ingenious ways to get into your locked MJ; busting out windows, hiding a piece of dipstick, removing the grille or tail light or bumper or engine to get to a key, do away w. keys altogether, call Mom, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Brilliant! :ack:

I removed the bottom weatherstriping (is that the correct name?) on the driver side door, that gave me enough opening between the glass and the metal to see the locking mechanism and use the previously removed weatherstriping to unlock it. Off course I broke off the ignition key in the door lock and trashed it completely with a screwdriver before did this :wall:

I used to keep a key in my wallet, but it liked to fall out and I was too lazy to secure in it there.

My mom has a spare, so If I'm nearby she can come let me out. Otherwise I'll do what I did last time... Take the grill off, pop the hood latch, then directly hotwire the electric door lock. (Aftermarket, system doesn't work, but the actuator is still in the drivers side with wires doing into the engine bay.)

I'd run me some extra wire and a momentary switch to a hidden location.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I have always had a length of bailn wire wraped around my driverside leaf spring that was my spare key, was going to put a key on it at some point but the wire has served me and many others over the years well so it stays

My uncle had a front and rear plate on his vehicles he's get a low profile key and put the screw that bolts into your plate through it and put it on as you were putting tags on. Anytime u need it get a screw driver or a penny and you got a key! :D

I have always had a length of bailn wire wraped around my driverside leaf spring that was my spare key, was going to put a key on it at some point but the wire has served me and many others over the years well so it stays

My uncle had a front and rear plate on his vehicles he's get a low profile key and put the screw that bolts into your plate through it and put it on as you were putting tags on. Anytime u need it get a screw driver or a penny and you got a key! :D

I like that one.

Rob

I've always been able to reach my keys through the rear slider, by pushing while sliding from the outside, one can unlatch it. Either way it provides a large area to poke the lock with if you don't care to stick your head and arm/s through the slider. However, I do like the license plate key, as well as the wallet. However, breaking windows-- NO! Especially the vent windows, here those are way overpriced...

If your locked in your own truck and you weren't smart enough to get out I'd leave you! :banana: lol

I keep one of these at home in case someone visiting me locks their keys in their car, though I've luckily never had to use it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Jim_%28lock_pick%29

Note that it's never a good idea to carry one of these in your vehicle. It could be considered a "tool of thievery", and would be a rather bad thing for a police officer to find if they search your vehicle for any reason.

EDIT: By the way, these most likely will NOT work with newer vehicles. But fortunately the newer vehicles this won't work on have OnStar so that you can have them remotely unlock the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I first got my truck I put off making spares. Locked the keys in, called my dad and he used a slim jim and broke in pretty easily, got 4 sets now.

If I was in a real pickle i'd probably just pop the back window out.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

have the parts truck sitting in a public storage unit now so the first time I left it, locked both doors and took the one key from the ignition. Found out the problem when i went to get back in and the key didnt work. :doh: No slider, windshield was the only crappy glass but didnt want to break it out til i take the interior out. Was able to remove the trim on the passenger side and stick a screwdriver in far enough to reach the lock rod and push it open. Had to pull the door skin back just enough to give me room for the screwdriver but it went back into place easily.

• 3 weeks later...