breaking into your vehicle (lost keys)

lose your keys :help: :dunno: :???:? lock yourself out of your vehicle, with the keys inside :waving: ?

if you don't want to pay for a locksmith, and don't know how to use a coat hanger through the outside window seal to raise the latch on the key tumbler, then DO NOT break out your front, or rear windows :no: . they are expensive to replace :headpop: .

general rule of thumb, the smallest pieces of glass on your vehicle are going to be the most expensive because they do not break often. :smart:

instead, choose a different route. break the passenger side window. since you don't sit in that seat anyways :yes: , you aren't worried about the butt splinters that your passengers may get :idea: :eek: :roll:

the reason that you break the side window, is that they are largely available at a lower cost, since they are interchangeable with 4dr cherokee windows :yes: . matter of fact, if you run into this situation, pm me...I've got about 10 sets of door windows and fixed vents just waiting for you :waving: :clapping: :cheers:

you should note that if you have a sliding rear window, and break the sliding center pane, the whole window must be removed to install the new pane. it costs $160 to have this done, on average.

someone here did just that recently... :oops: and so I thought this may help everyone else if you run into the same problem

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always suggest the vent window on the passenger side. They are pretty easy to replace.

And if you've got access to some tape, you can cover the window with it and then smash it. Most of the pieces of glass will adhere to the tape making for a slightly easier cleanup.

I always suggest the vent window on the passenger side. They are pretty easy to replace.

And if you've got access to some tape, you can cover the window with it and then smash it. Most of the pieces of glass will adhere to the tape making for a slightly easier cleanup.

yup. :agree:

I leave my tape in the jeep though... :thumbsup: :doh:

I have always had a length of bailn wire wraped around my driverside leaf spring that was my spare key, was going to put a key on it at some point but the wire has served me and many others over the years well so it stays

Why not just hide a key on the outside of the vehicle somewhere? :nuts:

I agree. this is for those who have forgotten to do so.

I don't keep a key on mine, because a buddy had his car stolen when someone figured out where he hid the key. they found parts of the car later on...

so, I keep some sort of wire on the car to open it. I like power locks on our jeeps with vent wing windows, because I can slide a wire in and lift on the lock switch to open the doors :D

I don't keep a key on mine, because a buddy had his car stolen when someone figured out where he hid the key. they found parts of the car later on.

Then your buddy must be a dumba$$. There are a zillion places to hide a magnetic keybox on the vehicle where nobody can find them, and a ga-zillion more places if you know how to reach up under the left front and pop the hood. Makes zero sense to bust out a window. :nuts:

Then your buddy must be a dumba$$. There are a zillion places to hide a magnetic keybox on the vehicle where nobody can find them, and a ga-zillion more places if you know how to reach up under the left front and pop the hood. Makes zero sense to bust out a window. :nuts:

lol. he kinda was. I think he's more of a dumbass because he locked himself out frequently, and it is very strange when you see a person without a key crawl under their car's transmission, and come out with a key to unlock and start the vehicle...which he did frequently.

Just run you a hidden switch to the door locks. Just reach under, over, around what have you and hit the switch and the doors unlock... Hummm if you have power locks that is.. :hmm:

thought of that too, but most spots are just plain obvious.

I've been bench testing a Ford 4-digit touchpad that I will wire into the passenger door power lock soon, but I'll still have the old low tech hidden magnetic key available IF I need it. I'll write it up when I get around to doing it. :D

I don't lock my doors. Unless I am in a really scary place. Granted I also live and work on base. But it also keeps the windows from getting broken by myself or theives. I do lock the rear hatch on my XJ, but I have built a compartment that is bolted to the floor, and comes up to the level of the back of the seat and the windows, only way in is with a key, from the back. I am sure with a sledge, axe, and sawzall you could get in without the key, but it would take a hot minute. I do not lock the front doors.

before I went to this method I did have to pry the lock off a vent window once.

• 2 weeks later...
what do you do if you lock yourself inside the vehicle? :hmm:

When I lived in Chilliwack, BC, someone kept getting into an old car I had in the back yard, so I removed the clips for the inside handles and jammed 2x4s under the window tracks to keep them up. Getting in was easy. Once they locked the door, there was no getting out till someone let them out.

Second day I found a VERY scared/confused young girl (17 at that time) who had run away from an abusive home. I took her in and ended up with a surprise girlfriend (I was almost 25 and just going through divorce) for 2 years. Helped her through school and then things sort of fell apart because I wasn't interested in partying and I was done with making kids.

Now she's married with kids and I used to hear from her now and then. Guess I should see if she's still around when I go up at Christmas time.

• 2 weeks later...

someone here did just that recently... :oops: and so I thought this may help everyone else if you run into the same problem

That would be ME for the win there. I had the glass fix.. just pulled the window, and took an old window I had chillin around and had it cut to size, and it was the right thichness too! $20 bucks! ;)

Shhh... don't tell anyone

a friend of mine just helped me open the truck once with his XJ engine oil gauge (if thats the name for the thing to check oil levels)

actually it was one of the flat ones so it worked as a master key.

I guess we can have something like a piece of that thinggy hidden somewhere in the truck...just in case

• 2 weeks later...
Shhh... don't tell anyone

a friend of mine just helped me open the truck once with his XJ engine oil gauge (if thats the name for the thing to check oil levels)

actually it was one of the flat ones so it worked as a master key.

I guess we can have something like a piece of that thinggy hidden somewhere in the truck...just in case

... you mean the dipstick?

my vent window doesn't lock and i'm skinny enough to be able to get my upper body into the truck through there and unlock a door. might be able to get all the way through but i've never tried it.