Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

Man, where have I been? Just joined this forum; like seeing all the MJs here - gives me ideas on what to do with mine e.g. custom bumpers...

Here's a pic of mine with a trunk tent (loving it). Has new paint, Rubicon Express Xtreme Duty Lift for the MJ, original/clean Comanche bed liner (even says Comanhe on it), rollbar and blows cold AC. Heading out fishing with my son; might rain so I am bringing all the hardware. Looking for rock sliders, and custom front and rear bumpers next!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rbostonca ... pg&.src=ph

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well folks here is mj its an 89 4x4 which I'm the only owner of this great beast so far it has been modified just a little the eng is a AP stroker 4.6l and ax-15 vice the ba/10 (pushjo) which I'm still working on, next is to get a mild lift and keep it mild for a while longer but since i m on a budget some things will wait and remain status quo

Wow some Very Nice MJ's...

Here is Mine So Far

Well I just wanted to put up some recent pics of the Comanche I am doing up so here are a few and the next thing is to get her Painted But I am in No hurry as I want to drive my CJ for the Summer...

This is when I first got the truck...

Image Not Found

This is with the LIft and New Rims and Tires...

Image Not Found

Well it was a stock 6CYL 2wd 5speed manual Comanche...

The Engine had a hole in the block and in needed rockers and Some floor work...

It is Now a 4WD Automatic comanche regeared to 3:73's and somewhere between 4-5.5" of lift and 31" tires and 15x8 rims...

Fixed the rockers and Floors changed the engine to a temp engine until I build a Stroker for it....

This is not meant to be a Monster truck and it will only see light duty Offroading Because It is part time My Shop truck for Jeepman's Offroad...

I need to Paint it and Sort out a few more bugs and then possibly change a few things... I do need to add a little to the front because it is a little lower then the rear and The front tires Rub a Little but I will fix the rubbing issue today when I trim the flares a bit....

Thats about it I think but then again I have done a tonne of little stupid things Just because...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just joined after being linked to this thread, so I figured it would be good to make a first post here.

here's my 1986 mj when I first got it, for a whopping 1 dollar.

dscn09851qy.jpg

This is during the blizzard of 06 (morning), when it was just mechanically restored:

img01695nx.jpg

And this is what it looks like now, after 3/4 gallons of free paint, and a week off from school:

jeepplateedit0cb.jpg

My 1988 comanche sport truck. 97-2001 front clip and a set of rubicon wheels and tires. I'm currently getting her ready for body work and paint. TnT Y-link coming in the future with a set of 33" BFG mud terrains.

What do you all think?

• 2 weeks later...

I Have a 1988 Comanche Laredo with the Big Ton package.

I have resenely get it and so far I'm wery happy about it.

I have earlyer a -91 xj i sold when we get the house, but i miss the feeling to have a Jeep, so the Comanche i think is the perfeckt solution to a house ovner.

Here it is. Take a lok at my web site for XJ and MJ ovners jamminz.gif

(sorry about my bad english)

http://se.msnusers.com/JeepXJ/weldmansc ... hotoID=329

So here it goes... I have been on here for little bit and just got some good pics of the manche... It has a 4-banger, AX-5, D-30 Locked, D-35 Locked soon to be a 8.8 jamminz.gif , 4.10s, TJ front fenders, Around 7 inches of lift, 35 BFG (not in pics), and a few other doodads including removable doors finnally.

I've been lurking for a while and I thought it was about time to show what I'm working on.

I picked up Pete's '88 MJ (driveline-free) and have been working on it for what seems like forever. It started out as a 2WD but I'm swapping it over to 4WD with an HO 4.0L out of a '91 XJ. When it's done, I should have parts from at least two other Jeeps that I've owned. Anyway, here's some pics...

Where it sits now (no driveline in yet)

Repaired floor

Before....

$100 Metric Ton D44 mocked up

• 2 weeks later...

Image Not Found

There she is, 87 Jeep MJ. I picked it up off a guy in my home-town for 1000 bucks. Had to sell my wrangler to get it, but I've always wanted one. Currently under construction (2wd-4wd) Picked up a Ford 8.8 outta an Explorer.. a D30 off a guy from NAXJA (4:56 Lockright) Got Tranny t-case sitting beside the garage waiting to be put in.

The lift is RE 4.5 ZJ coils, and SOA in the rear. Gettin' a set of 33 BFG MT's this weekend for it.

Egg [/img]

I have a '88 Comanche Sport Truck. 2 Wheel drive. 5 speed manual with the 2.5L engine. 173k Miles, everything still stock for now. Clutch Slave Cyl just went out today.. trying to get some money for fixing this beast up. The only mods are.. bigger tires... 235's.. on the stock height. A pair of vice grips for the driver side window handle... ( been meaning to get a new door also... ) It's a red shortbed truck. Engine is still running strong.. transmission needs a rebuild. Going to be putting a 4.0L engine in here from a Cherokee... hoping they'll mount right in from the front ends being the same. Will have this thing worthy in a few years.. Moving before I can save the money to upgrade it. Will keep you updated on repairs/upgrades.

Well I finally got a set of tires for the ol' MJ. Bought em' off a buddy of mine for 50 bucks.. They have decent tread. 33x12.50 BFG MT's.... they are the ones with no side lugs.. I mounted them on 15x7 tailgunners...

Got balzy and chopped the front a lil'... them I rolled the edges over so it wouldnt cut my tire, then remounted the (Newly Cut) fender flare higher. here she is...

Just as Jazzed as can be with my New MJ...

I certainly don't claim to be the Fastest Electron in Orbit...

I am convinced it is Good to have Friends

Plans are to keep my Comanche fairly stock.. .. simple function

with 4wd and reliability... Mechanicing is not an exact science, but

It is Rewarding....!

Thomas :>

Thanks CW, I've spent alot of time and money on this project and its nice to hear someone give compliments like that. Why do you need your mech. to come back to mount your tires? My buddy and I mounted mine with tire spoons and a little bit of soap. I guess if you don't have tire spoons then you can't, but its really fast and cheap! My tires arent balanced yet, but they don't do that bad. I know with the 3:73 gears the Jeep is a terd. As soon as I get money, i'm going to re-gear the rear to match the front; 4:56 jamminz.gif thanks again

Egg

He has a jeep only shop near me and can mount all size tars. he does a good job with his fanct balancer. I got my new springs in mine over the week end, I am ready for the 33's!!

CW

Here it is on 33's!!!

CW

• 4 weeks later...

i never did this so i might as well go ahead

88 MJ 4.0 4x4

free and i have made 700 dollars off this thing, after insurance cutting me a check for 1100 after some lady in a fucus hit me

as i go it, except i had cut the rot out of the fenders

fit 32s on it for wheeling and threw a lock right in the rear

10029802ba.jpg

sunk it and filled EVERYTHING with water

Image Not Found

patched her up so i could drive her fr about another month till i graduated

no she is going through big changes

go here to follow the build if you like

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1405

Well, this is my third Jeep, but my first MJ. :cheers: It is a 1987, LWB, 4WD, I6, auto, with air.

It started life in Michigan, moved to Florida, then to (upstate) South Carolina where I bought it. This picture was taken the first week I bought it.

The matching brown patches on each rear panel are covering really nice rust holes, and of course, the rocker panels are gone. It has a few leaks and runs a little rough. But the air blows cold. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I found this board with help from a guy on another board I go to called Tennessee Off-Road. It's a 4wd shop in Nashville TN that has a decent message board. I've been looking for an all Comanche board and this one rocks! Anyways, enough about that.

I'm an MJ lover just like everyone else on here. I've had 1 of about every kinda Jeep made and a repeat of a few. I used to have an 87 4wd short bed Sportruck Comanche with a 4.0, 5 speed and I loved it. But it's been gone about 3 years now. I come accross another one about a year ago and it's an 87 also, but was a 2wd with a 2.5 and a 4 speed. It's currently a project I'm building as a V8 4wd beast. I already installed a Jeep 360 with a turbo 400 and a dana 20 transfer case. I still need to finish the little things like exhaust and the accessories, but at least I got it running anyways. Here's a link to my build up so far, it's not much but it's a start. http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131827547

• 4 weeks later...

Got this off Ebay a couple of weeks ago...

Picked it up at midnight and drove it home with a nice straight pipe roar :D Still going through it and makin a list of whats wrong and needs to be fixed. Ill post some pictures of Old Rusty tomorrow, had that one nine years now :chillin:

Here are some pics of Old Rusty :oops:

Ive had this one nine years now and its only left me on the side of the raod one time. There is nothin wrong with it that new doors, rockers, floors, flatbed, and rear bumper wouldnt fix ;)