CW's MJ 2005 - 10

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,...all I can say is :eek: :eek: :eek: jamminz.gif :chillin:

They are WAY brite!! I rechecked the pkg to see if they are DOT wattages!! they where.

Here ya go:

There is a slight blue "flair" on the garage doors. But the light is white, MUCH more so than the Sylvanias I had and liked so much before!

CW

I got the other light tonight. They are very nice, even light. I think they have a bit more flair than the Sylvanias. One thing I did like about the Sylvanias was the "bar" of light they produced in lo-beam.

don't get me wrong, these H-4's offer more light its just a bit more spread out. HI-beam is quite focused and higher than the Sylvanias. The Sylvanias always seemed to close together for my taste. If the lo's where right on the his where too low and vice/versa. These H4's seem spot on for my taste.

CW

Well,

I have aquired a 1999 Cryco 8.25 axle AND a D44 from a XJ. Both geared 3:55 same as my MJ is currently.

As the 8.25 is very nice and complete drum to drum, it would be a nice addition to the rest of my XJ/MJ parts I have in the back of the garage. I am keeping my eyes open for another SWB MJ or nice 95-96 XJ.

I am 99% going with the D44 install into the MJ. BUT, its going to be spring before I have it ready for installation. I am also regearing at that time. It will be a complete rebuild of the axle.

In the mean time, I will lock the D35 and see what happens. I have a couple sets of axles so what the heck! I have already blown one D35C on the street with a EZ locker and 31"s.

Thanks to my buddie Juan, I get to see if I can do it again!!! jamminz.gif :brows: :bowdown:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I'll be throwing it in this week end!! Stay tuned.....

CW

I picked up a D44 for the MJ today! Its from a 1987 XJ. its got 3:54's open diff.

It will be a winter time build as I will be completely rebuilding it as well as re-gearing and adding a traction devise.

Image Not Found

It spent some time out doors uncovered and out of the jeep:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I got a new HD cover today in the mail...gotta LOVE EBAY!!!

Image Not Found

Saturday the locker goes in the D35 for the winter!!! Pics to come.

CW

looks nice CW. i just re-did my D44...very spiffy piece of metal!

The factory XJ cover is just like the 8.8 factory cover.....PAPER thin!!! the new one is about 1/8" thick!!

I had to evict a family of spyders!!! As well as about a quart of water mixed with the errl!!

I also found drums for $39.99 each!! American made toboot!!!

CW

Well, the lock rite is in the D35 and it works nice. Pretty uneventful and straight forward install.

One tip I will offer....

When you unbolt the shafts, PULL the shafts ALL THE WAY out of the carrier, BEFORE trying to remove said carrier!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Image Not Found

I even got to try it out!!!

FUN FUN FUN!!!

Thanks Juan!!

CW

Mounted up some HELLA lights thas week end!! These are 550's fog lights.

I used 14ga thru out with individual power and ground wires for each light. All thru a relay and triggered by my parking lights. I wired them into the factory fog light switch on the dash!! So they will work with hi OR lo OR no beams, and can be turned off at any time indipendedt of any other light.

I didn't get a chance to adjust them. So no pics of how much illumination they offer.

CW

I am just winging it and having a BALL!!!

Its a freakin' desease and I don't WANT the cure!!!!

I had a bit of carnage from the wheeling test trip Juan and I took Saturday after the locker install...

I was goind down a steep incline where the front tires began to go up the opposite side before the rear tires made it to the bottom. The excessive amount of rear overhang did just that...hang. Well that trwaked the exhaust and bent up some bracketry in the back of the bed. Nothing structural. but the exhaust is not loose from the engine back.

I got up nuder there and very cautiously sprayed, loosened and then tightened the exhaust flange bolts. I got them as tight as I dared. Then on down the line. the clamp at the cat was loose, I replaced that. The tail pipe was flat for the last two feet. So off came that. I chopped the pipes off about a foot past the muffler and added a 90 degree pipe and a one foot straight piece. I exited the truck beneth the frame just behind the front spring hanger but in front of the tire.

It was a cheap and easy fix.

I hope its legal...I seem to remember as long as its so many feet behind the rear most seated passanger its OK.

not true anymore.

the feds cracked down on it after Ford made that the stock exhaust location on the f150 in the 90's.

That's what the muffler guy told me when I tld him to turn down my exhaust after the muffler.

He did it anyway, but cautioned that the police might take issue.

I figure there's enough 1/2 body lifted chebbies with glass packs dumping onto the pavement that they wouldn't worry bout me.

anyway, I did away with al the muffler back there because I figured that would happen.

A decent muffler and a straight turn down before the axle is how I'm rolling. Haven't had any fume problems, and you can see that the exhaust is exiting out the back of the truck now that it's gotten colder.

I run my dups right under the truck by using a turn down after it. In the state of VA.. the exhaust has to dump behind the occupants open windows, and can't dump underneath a vehicle if it has a rear passenger area. Basically it means that if it has rear windows it has to exit side or out the back. It also depends on who you get to inspect your ride as well

Well, it is what it is as its done. I will change it if I am required to.

Its a tad throater with a deeper in tone. Maybe thats just because its now exiting closer to my ears while driving. I even want to say its got a bit more pep. Probably just my imagionation. :roll: :cry:

I have spoken with a number of people who should know and they feel I will be OK.

I asked my detective buddie and he told me he didnt care. It wasnt his deal anymore and I wasnt in his town enough to worry about anyway... Nice huh!!

CW

I got a chance to do a minor upgrade to the MJ today. I have been wanting to do this for some time. it was WAY easier that I anticipeted. I ewas able to make it entirely out of scrap and extra parts!! I have seen these for $80 - $90 bucks!!!!

I used a 2" plumbing clamp and a couple 3/8 X 2" bolts.

A 24" piece of Poop Pipe. (What MJ mod would be complete with out poop pipe!!)

A 4" piece of think 2" angle iron and a couple 5/16 X 1.25" bolts.

I trimmed the clamp down a bit, leaving one end untouched:

I clamped this to the steering box:

I positioned the angle iron to the frame on the opposite side and clamped in place with a "C" clamp:

Then I cut the poop pipe to legnth and bent the "tab" from the plumbing clamp to point at the angle iron on the opposite frame end:

I tack welded in place. Then removed and completely welded and painted rustolium Black:

then I put it up in position and tightened the bolts around the steering box. I went back to the other side and "C" clamped the algle iron in place and drilled one hole thru the frame and angle iron. Then a second hole was there in the frame for the tow hooks so I only had to drill thru the angle iron for this one. Add the 5/16 bolts and tighten down:

I think it came out pretty good for just winging it. I had seen pics of others braces and copied the ideas. My only consern is with the pass side. The bar will allow some give as the cross bar is at the bottom of the angle allowing some leverage.

CW