The worlds Fastest Comanche

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CID limit in the class is 262, or 4.3L so if it is going to be a stroler, it will not be much of one.

I see you're into the stroker forum - you'll get some good answers there. :D I know you're strictly limited in the class by displacement, but are there other limitations? Like high RPM HP producing mods like the Hesco alloy head, roller rocker arms and timing sets, cams, and ignition chips? I got some great results with the Unichip. Are you anywhere near Hesco in Birmingham? No one makes these engines go like they do.

it would be sweet if these engines had a 24v like the gm/isuzu 4.2l that only produced 275 hp. and as for the gm that holds the record i thought that it was supercharged or turbo or maybe both :dunno: btw wasn't there some one who races the mj "4.0" a few years ago maybe they can shed some light. jamminz.gif

You have to run an engine from the same family, with the same deck height. ( crank centerline to top of block). you can do anything you want with bore and stroke, intake and exhust. You have to run on gasoline only (racing gas ok). no nitrous or supercharging. the head must be the same style as the stock head, same number of valves same location, Intake and exhust ports must be in the same location as stock, but can be opened up.

Any type of fuel system or ignition system is allowed, any transmission is allowed.

Looking around , it would seem that the 99 and up intake would be the choice for a manifold, Clifford headers with dual collectors for exhust. Mustang injectors and throttle body, Hesco head, high performance oil system.

I am still thinking about the short block, Pistons, cams, etc.

Engine from the same family, so a head from the same family is fine? Because the 4.2 and 4.0HO heads do not have the intake ports in the same location as a renix 4.0L. At least, not on the manifold side of things... The better (HO) heads have the intake port raised. It's worth power, quite a bit of it.

I think you should think about weight reduction. Because I like that topic. How much can you mod the body/frame?

Do you have a certain distance you need to set this record MPH in?
The timing Belt will give you 10 more HP, and will help with the Cam harmonic problem when going high RPM, to set the record i only have to go 8 miles, to life cycle of the belt doesnt bother me. On the street, i would give you more power and better gas mileage.

if he can do ot in less than 8 we would have a winner jamminz.gif

Not to be Debby downer here, but with the strict limitations facing you...you aren't going to be producing near enough HP/TQ to go those speeds...not even close, especially with out F/I or nitrous.

Got a link to the record holder? With the strict limitations I'm having a hard time believing the record.

Not to be Debby downer here, but with the strict limitations facing you...you aren't going to be producing near enough HP/TQ to go those speeds...not even close, especially with out F/I or nitrous.

Got a link to the record holder? With the strict limitations I'm having a hard time believing the record.

You'd be suprised how much power can be pulled from a motor that has a high volumetric efficentcy and a high redline... There's a lot of N/A drag cars out there that will do some seriously mean times. And a lot of the guys who are into the bonneville (sp?) thing will run N/A nailheads and other such engines that are really NOT known for being efficent, nor do they have huge displacement.

But like I said, I think the weight cutting will be very important. You're starting at around 2900lbs (S/B) or 3100 (L/B), and you're going to want to decrease that number by a lot!

the syclone was punched out to a 5.0 and here is some reading for those of us that like to know what he is up against

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/sidewinder/page1.html

http://www.sportmachines.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Sport+Truck+Dec+1990

Hey scottie can ya give me a bit more power :brows: yes capt'n i givin it all she got jamminz.gif

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html here is some additional info

the syclone was punched out to a 5.0 and here is some reading for those of us that like to know what he is up against

The 1990 Syclone ran in the 305cid (5.0L) class (D P/MP) the record we are looking for is the E P/MP which is for engines less than 262 CID. Banks first run with the S15 was in 1989 and he ran the 4.3 v6 in this class. The record is 183.942 mph.

to answer a question on the way it works, depending on the course you are running, you get a mile or more to get up to speed, then they measure you speed over 1,2, or more miles. the average speed over a measured mile greater than .001 mph of the current record qualifies you to make a second run the next morning, you then have to run the course in the reverse direction and have a speed that exceed the current record. the slower of the 2 runs is the new record. Weight is less of a factor then areodynamics. Weight is important when you are trying to get up to speed, but once you are there its air resistance and rolling resistance that are the forces that slow you down.

It is true that Banks spent a million bucks, but how much work has really been done on increasing the performance of a Chevy V6? I would say not much. everybody just pulls it out and drops a 350 in.

If you look at all the companies like Clifford or Hesco that have invested alot of time and money into increasing the performance of the jeep motor, I bet you could come up with a million dollars.

We also have the experience of thousands of people who have been building motors over the last 20 years.

trial and error, experience and new technology will give this project a fighting chance.

if i put in a million dollar in my manche it had better do 2 things

set the back bumper on the ground(via wheelie) on the street not just the track and hold it up in the air more than 2 feet all the way through the light. no weight shifting in the bed just raw tq/hp

second i need a 7second 1/4 mile E.T. no fancy gears just using the dana 44 axle and aw4 trany once again all tq/hp

jamminz.gif

set the back bumper on the ground(via wheelie) on the street not just the track and hold it up in the air more than 2 feet all the way through the light. no weight shifting in the bed just raw tq/hp

second i need a 7second 1/4 mile E.T. no fancy gears just using the dana 44 axle and aw4 trany once again all tq/hp

jamminz.gif

If I put a million dollars into a Comanche it better fly to the moon and back.... :driving:

jamminz.gif

not to get off topic but your going to need better than a D44 to pull a wheelie through a traffic light at a stand still :)

I got a call form the Chief historian at Chrysler today, he said he found the 1986 Bonneville truck. It is located in the archives in Auburn Hills Mi with about 300 other Vehicles. The archives are seperate from the Museum. The muesum usually has about 75 cars on display.

The truck is Red, with number "140" on side. It has been stored for about 20 years and nothing has been done to it since it was stored.

I asked for a picture of it, and you woul think i was asking for state secrets or somthing. He said it would have to be cleared with corporate before they released any photos. Said it should only take a couple of weeks!!.

I did ask about any other arvchive information, and he said that the archives at the jeep headquarters were in the basemant and that alot of the material was water damaged, and had to be thrown out.

My hope is that i will be able travel over to Detroit to actually look at the truck and take some pictures of it.

I guess I will have to wait for the powers that be at Chrysler to make a decision.

I would take note of every thing they have done to this truck. I would research it as much as humanly possible. I don’t think that it can’t be done, its just going to be a lot of work.

You need to consider the old vs. the new technology. It’s really going to take some state of the art tricks and technology to achieve this goal. Don’t follow in the foot steps of someone else, step a little further. It may take a while to get reach your goal but if you achieve it. The reward will be sweet. Always remember when times get hard you’re going for #1. Everyone else is chasing you! Good luck man, I personally want to be there when you go for the record!

:cheers:

I am not trying to copy the 1986 truck, I may paint it the same color and try and get the same number. I do think i could get some useful information from it. Things like the roll cage cage construction, or how they lowered the truck. The engine and transmission will be completely different.

Probably a 262cid motor ( stroked 4.0) and a T56 6 speed trans (double overdrive), ford 9" rear, and maybe a air suspension so i can set the ride height.

don't need a dana 70, Low gears, low speed, = big torque. High gears , high speed= smaller torque. the Nascar teams only run ford 9" rears with 31 spline axles ( D44 has 30 spline) the axles are even turned down between the splined ends. the axles come up for sale sometimes on ebay. You can by the lockers cheap, "only used one race"