Project "Onyx"

I got the overhead console mounted in the truck tonight. I had to cut the bracket out of the XJ. The center mount for the console is bolted to a cross brace in the roof. I fired up the cut off wheel and chopped it out. I then trimmed it to fit between the roof supports in the MJ. I then re-installed the headliner, visors, and console.

Disreguard the hole in the headliner. Always measure twice!

Heck yeah, that looks great! I have been putting that project off for a while now. I'm using the older style OH Console, but I think I like this one better :doh: . I hope nobody asked this already - how much headroom do you have with those seats in there - they look nice, but tall? Very interesting build-up jamminz.gif :cheers:

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck yeah, that looks great! I have been putting that project off for a while now. I'm using the older style OH Console, but I think I like this one better :doh: . I hope nobody asked this already - how much headroom do you have with those seats in there - they look nice, but tall? Very interesting build-up jamminz.gif :cheers:

Sorry for the delay. I was not ignoring you. I had to get home to measure the distance from my skull to the roof. I am 5' 9" and I have 6" from my head to the headliner sitting in the passenger seat.

I used the passenger seat because normally the do not get sat in as much as the drivers seat and tend to be a little taller.

Hope that help you.

Sorry for the delay. I was not ignoring you. I had to get home to measure the distance from my skull to the roof. I am 5' 9" and I have 6" from my head to the headliner sitting in the passenger seat.

I used the passenger seat because normally the do not get sat in as much as the drivers seat and tend to be a little taller.

Hope that help you.

No worries, just curious. :cheers: I also used the bottom cushion from a passenger seat for that exact reason. :popcorn:

stop being lazy shelby

OK, OK, already!

LOL, here are some pics of the parking brake lever.

In this pic you can see the lever mounted with the bracket I made coming out of the back of it. Also notice the cable is the stock MJ one, un-modified.

Here is a closer shot of the bracket. This bracket came off the underside of the 97 and it held the 2 cables going to the axle. All I did was cut it in half, between the cable mounts.

Here is the backside of the lever. Sorry for the blurry pic but it is hard to take pics in the truck.

You can see the hole in the bottom of the lever where I cut the XJs cable holder off of it. The XJs brake cable goes through the floor, where the MJ's goes through the cab. It also gives you a good look at the bracket and how I mounted it.

Now onto the seat bracket install.

I started by cutting the mounts out of the donor XJ. They are welded and spot welded in a few different places. This will test your patience!

This is the passenger side XJ mount in the MJ.

\

Where the MJ mounts were cut out and the new ones mounted.

You will have to notch the XJ mount to fit over the center hump in the MJ floor pan. This is the veiw from the front of the notch.

Here is the rear of the notch looking forward. I was also able to retain 1 factory seat mount on each side to help hold the new brackets in and line everything up.

:bowdown: Fantastic! :bowdown:

A lot of great work. I'm digging the overhead console. Had scrapped the idea for the Wild build, but now I think I'll revisit that plan. Whenever you find time, you should write up a DIY thread on it. Also nice idea with the E-brake. Eliminates a bunch of problems fabbing up the cables.

Will have to add this to my long list of the "Next MJ projects". Right between the Cheromanche and Dually MJ.

:popcorn:

You do realize when I offered the interior out of my MJ that all my panels are tan? Would be better matching interior panels than what you have now......

Honestly I didn't even think about that. I bet shipping all that would be $$$$!

Seriously I doubt it would run more than $30.

I got ALL my 2500 parts shipped for $55 fedex.

For your overhead console and headliner I would recommend finding a good tan XJ headliner from a junkyard, pulling the fabric off of it, and then gluing it to the headliner, that is what I will do with my headliner(except with the light gray).

Also, if there are any other tan 97+ parts you need, I just picked up a 00 with a nice tan interior.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time today cleaning up and painting my nused Dana 44 after meeting up with JBHill.

I cleaned up the brake lines and added my Solid cover while I was at it.

Here is my BDS braided brake line for the up coming SOA.

I figured I would bolt the MOABs on to make moving it around a little easier.

I had to notch the load sensing mount to fit over the rib in the Solid cover but, it worked out nicely.

very nice!

I have to ask though...why are you keeping the old proportioning valve? they hardly ever work properly and are not fun to bleed (next to impossible in my experience)

As of right now my prop valve works perfectly. I am trying to make this build as factory correct (looking) as possible.

The only real move away from a production build will be the lift.

mmmm thats nice. i have your wheel and visors. i didnt realise they are double sided taped on. i have a tool for it tho ;)

I will be down one day to get that stuff. I just have not had any time off lately. Thanks for grabbing it for me.

very nice!

I have to ask though...why are you keeping the old proportioning valve? they hardly ever work properly and are not fun to bleed (next to impossible in my experience)

As of right now my prop valve works perfectly. I am trying to make this build as factory correct (looking) as possible.

The only real move away from a production build will be the lift.

umm...you have a 97+ update going here. it's not stock. why go with an inferiorly designed prop valve if you don't have to?