My latest axle build/swap and front leaf conversion

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, it took them off and burned them out too, but it burned the stud portion of the bolt into the surrounding metal...

Thus, making the bolts and surrounding metal one peice.

If I'd been half smart I'd have used the 7018 and it wouldn't have been a problem. But I had 6011 lying right there...

And it was on 225amps.

What all has been done up to now?

Because I'm sitting here and it's too hot, I'll explain.

Very little.

I've not had the time I'd like to have recently, so progress is really slow. That and the machine shop (where I buy steel) is only open during the hours that I work. As of now, I've got pretty much nothing. Other than a lot of ideas and a bunch of scrap steel (well, it's scrap now).

On the brighter side, the part of the unibody where the rear hangers for the front springs will go is pretty much ready for welding. But that's because I had cleaned it up when I was running long arms.

Oh, and the stupid XJ is consuming time. Obviously I should have bought a honda or a moped for a DD.

But how the heck would I haul steel in the moped?

Which I bought $116 worth of today.

And I moved my radiator foreward 1 whole inch.

Gotta love progress.

Oh, question. I can acquire a gearset for my DD, it is however slightly 'used'. Ie, it's been sitting out of the vehicle for a long time. Light surface rust. Is it salvageable? Or should I not waste my time? I can get cheap setup, so that's not a concern.

I did something, yayyyyyyy...

Front prepped, well, first prep.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

You can see how I got fed up and just started cutting crap out of the way. I know I didn't cut that off straight. Don't worry, it's be covered. Oh, and you can see my beautiful radiator that is now 1" foreward over stock...

You might not be able to make it out, but the bolts that held the steering box in place had started to get pulled through the unibody! Oops.

Here I'm starting to check alignment of everything and rough out my plate. Remember, those bolts are for a alignment, not structure! And no, the crossmember won't be a single peice of flat bar.

Image Not Found

Got swiss cheese?

Image Not Found

My drill press is really wishing it had been sold to a carpenter by now. Oh, and that's only half of those... Oh, that hole that's really close to the edge, it's for a steering box bolt. I'll deal with it.

Starting to mock up the drop out crossmember that holds the winch.

Image Not Found

The peice of angle was going to be the crossmember before. The square tube will be cut open for leaf hangers. They're just sitting there because I realized I put a rosette where they will be covering it. :nuts:

Man, this pic makes me look fat.

Image Not Found

Anyways, do you need this? It was wedged between the steering box and the stock crossmember, I take it to minimalize play/deflection. I can probably cut it down and wedge it back in, but it won't be easy. That and I may never be able to get the steering box out again after that.

Winch crossmember getting done. The camera didn't like the light.

Image Not Found

Now, I have to ask, the cutout for the cable to pass through should be what size relative to the fairlead? Should it be the same as the maximum distances for the rollers (I mean, basically the rectangle that holds the rollers)? Or, should it be about half that? Or somehtign around there? I don't want to make the hole in my front peice any larger than necessary...

Two more days off, then it's back to my jobby, let's see what I can get done! jamminz.gif

ditch that wedge, but I hope you're sure the steering box is on there strong now. Hydro-assist would be a good idea also, both to reduce the steering forces on the box, and to help the steering turn the knuckles rather than push the body around on top of the leafs.

for the winch fairlead hole, make it just a hair wider than the fairlead opening, but it needs to be a bit taller in the direction the cable will roll onto the spool.

Hydro assist is somewhere down the road. My local tractor supply has everything I need. However, I'm going to exo it first because I have a nasty habit of almost rolling the stupid thing.

I'll make that damn fairlead work tomorrow. Thanks.

Did some work, then the angle grinder went up in smoke...

I got the fairlead cut out and mounted, then I threw it on there to see how it looked. I also put the header panel back on to make sure it actually fit, and to see if my 'bumper' (the peice of angle) was going to fit. It's all good, other than some bloody wiring that I'll have to relocate.

Image Not Found

Then I 'cleaned up' my leaf springs and shackles. Actually, all I did was remove the bolts and old hangers (they were torched off for ease).

Image Not Found

I've never delt with anything that was that seized before. The one bolt took about 15 minutes with the impact to get it to move!

Oh, and that angle grinder is the one that burned up. Good unit, but not ment for absurd duty... I'll get a new one tomorrow (a better one, but still a makita).

Those are waggy front. However, I think they aren't stock waggy... The packs have Denver Spring stickers on them.

If they don't work, I'll try something else.

I need to figue out how best to SOA the waggy axle though. Searching IFSJA.

It depends on your spring width. how i mount my leafs, my spring width ended up being narrower than the stock waggy width. So when i mounted my new spring perch it had to sit closer so the diff. Thus required lots of grinding but it work out good in the end.

If you want to call it that. You just weld a peice of plate to the perch and run normal bolts through instead...

Yeah, that's what I meant. People like to get fancy on names though.

What grade of bolt were you thinking?

I've got 5/8 Grade 8. And grade 8 nuts/washers. I could go thicker, but trust me, a lot of other things will break first.

The only thing harder would be a metric 12.9. Those aren't cheap!

Oh yeah, I bought a DeWalt 5". It was cheap (on sale) plus my employee discount (at cost) = good buy. So far it seems like a nice unit.

Okay, little update.

Firstly I welded a tab to the front crossmember as a hook holder. I might add some gussets so it could actually be (completely safely) used as a recovery point. But I might not bother.

Image Not Found

Knowing me, it'd be a good idea though.

Then I began tacking up the rest of the front crossmember.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I got 'er all done. Then I went to pop it off the frame, and realized that I'd messed up. After some cussing I got it off, but accidently dropped it and broke the tack welds on two of the peices. So, I final welded half of it, and I'll throw it back up there tomorrow hopefully and get the rest of it final welded.

On a happier note, I remembered to wear sunscreen while welding this time. Looks like I won't be losing any skin!