My latest axle build/swap and front leaf conversion

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
It's 58.5" vs uh, 59~. Or maybe 59.5"...

I got a set of 1" spacers for when toyota fags do a SAS and threw them on it and it's the same width as my front now (61.5"). Tires still rub the frame...

Hmm, was thinking about grabbing a 4.56 12 bolt, instead of a 4.56 dana 35, and using adapters for the width. What'd you do for brakes?

I left it. I was going to get a E350 master but I haven't had time to deal with it (it's $100 w/core new, so I have to roadtrip to the pick'n'pull - and the rear driveshaft is what stops it from being street friendly anyways). They work - offroad use only. Actually, I drove it on the street too... Between downshifting and hitting the brake pedal twice I can get it stopped!

Without having the massive D44 pistons up front it might work alright with the stock master cyl. Put the porportioning valve to full open and give it a try perhaps? If not, a ZJ master SHOULD work better. And I think some years can be used as a bolt in.

I've been VERY happy with this axle thus far. We'll see in spring though, when the snow leaves the higher ground... If something's gonna give, I'll find it soon enough. Or I'll blow something else up first.

• 1 month later...
Do you have taillights yet?

Yeah. I plumber's strapped the stockers to the bed.

Call me lazy. I know it's the truth.

Oh, something in the EFI kicked the bucket on my wheeling trip this weekend. It drove fine all the way there - way better than I expected. Then I messed around for about 10 minutes, went to climb a rock ledge, and it died. No spark, no fuel.... Gonna have to start playing with parts to see WTH happened.

The worst part was I got towed home by a toyota.

Oh, I scaled it, it weighs about 4200lbs with me and gear. The scale was a single axle type and read in kilograms, so fudge that number by 5%.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a pretty funny tow home.

04? Taco, he's rated to pull like 5k or something. But, we didn't have trailor brakes because the wiring wasn't compatible (borrowed a trailor), or lights. And the axles were too far back on the trailor, so there was enough weight on the tounge that the rear end was bottomed out. Oh, and the trailor weighed like 1400lbs...

It was slow, and bumpy. And braking distance was measured in football fields! Oh yeah, and the middle of the night without lights. Driving through the indian reserve with stray cattle, dogs, and crack heads wandering on the road! Luckily another guy hugged our @$$ to keep the cops from seeing what was going on!

It's too bad the trip was kinda a bust. But, this weekend I think I'll be heading out again. Hopefully no problems.