how to tell whether you have an AX-15 or a BA10/5 5spd trans

the jeep transmissions in cherokees and comanches were 21 spline through mid 1990, with a few exceptions;

mid 1990 AW4 automatic transmission went from 21 spline input t-case to 23 spline

mid 1989 Ax15 was introduced, and the BA10/5 was phased out.

the AX15 will have a 23 spline output, so a 23 spline input on the t-case.

the Ba10/5 is a 21 spline output, thus the t-case is 21 spline input.

here is the BA10/5, and a link to info about it

jeep_peugeot_ba10_5.jpg

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ba10_5.htm

here is the AX-15, and a link about it

ax15_transmission.jpg

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm

if you are working on your trans, check your transmission before you buy anything. if you're wrong about which transmission you have... you will not be happy. the easiest way to tell which one it is is that the AX15 is larger, and it has a iron/cast mid-plate between the front and rear housings (it is located just in front of the shifter). the BA10/5 does not have that mid-plate

• 2 months later...

If you don't feel like crawling underneath but have access to the hole where the shifter sticks out, the BA 10/5 has 3 bolts on the shifter and the AX-15 has 4 bolts. The AX-5 also has 4 bolts (shifter may swap but I haven't tried it) If it's 4 cyl, most likely AX-5 unless a Dakota bell. etc was used during an upgrade.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

AX-15 > Wet noodles in jello > BA 10/5

Edit:

the easiest way to tell which one it is is that the AX15 is larger, and it has a iron/cast mid-plate between the front and rear housings (it is located just in front of the shifter). the BA10/5 does not have that mid-plate

Not sure why I didn't notice this before... but the AX-15 has a cast aluminum midplate. The AX-4/5 has a cast iron one.

so BA10/5=bad?

Not necessarily. They make excellent boat anchors.

Seriously though, if they're in a DD and you're not too bad on it, you should be fine. My first 2 XJs had them, and I beat the crap out of them, and they never broke.

They're a lot like a D35. Some D35s do fine with 35" tires and are wheeled hard, and some break if you look at them wrong.

I know i have a D44. on an 89 5 speed eliminator with a D44 would it be more likely a BA10/5 or an AX15? i don't have time to crawl around right now and its killing me lol

Rear axle has nothing to do with it, it's all dependent on when it was built. Early 89s got the pukey, later ones got the AX-15. No idea when the break was. Know the build date of your truck?

Oh for the number? sorry i thought you didnt want it :ack: here it is hoss sorry about that

IJ7FT66LXKL406889

i have pictures on my camera which i have with me lol. i knew you would think that lol. i'm not that dumb :rotf: