Long door Mj extra cab

Well I'll start by saying hello since I'm new to the site.

next i will let you all in on a project i'm in the middle of.it was a 2 door cherokee that has been chopped behind the rear seats.i'm in the middle of grafting a MJ rear cab half onto it.once that is finished it will be receiving a full tube chassis front and rear with exo cage.

1 1990 2 door Xj

1001071101jv7.jpg

started the chop

p1010746ln3.jpg

i had one Mj rear half to start and was going to do a usual chop

pa140763de6.jpg

was getting ready to start welding it up

pa140775lw5.jpg

then i decided naaaaaa...just not going to work for me.so i went to the junk yard

pa150782yo8.jpg

and got a full cab half from the floor to the roof.

pa150780xa2.jpg

so i started cutting some more

pa160785ue5.jpg

pa160786ih8.jpg

then started working on grafting the Mj back half on

pa170795vd4.jpg

pa170798by4.jpg

pa170796gs8.jpg

now for anybody that ever chooses to do this.the roofs don't match the Mj roof has a different crown to it and sits higher then the Xj roof.

pa210825du9.jpg

from the gutter down you are good to go other then the floor pans being different.

pa210824fr0.jpg

pa210821un4.jpg

a quick photochop of what i'm shooting for

chopped32fg2.jpg

the reason for the extra cab is for my dog.

P2040702.sized.jpg

he needs a seat to since i usually have a passenger.i left just enough room for the bottom of the rear seat but not the back of the seat.i could move the bottom forward to just behind front seats then use the back of the seat.this would leave no room from the front and back seat IE leg room but that wouldn't matter since its just for him.

as for beating somebody to the punch .i have had this idea in my head for a long time and never thought i would get around to it.my last Xj had massive body failure and i swore i was going to build something with a frame.i got a Tj tub and chassis with no drive train out of a salvage yard for cheap.i was getting ready to build it when i had to sell it ,you'll see it in the pics since i sold it to a friend that doesn't have a garage to build it in.then a few months ago i got handed this.

so today i did what you all have been waiting for -well some of you anyway

i cut the last bit of cab roof off to start shaping it.this is were that picture of the dollies and hammer come in .

pa200812mi1.jpg

i cut the section off leave just over an 1" above the window

pa230839zk5.jpg

it left me with the interior header still poking up

pa230840ri8.jpg

cut that back next

pa230849qw8.jpg

using the dollies and the slap hammer i started stretching out the roof line

pa230854qi2.jpg

with it tucked under the XJ roof

pa230861mu5.jpg

pa230862qk9.jpg

pa230863pe6.jpg

of course i still have to do some more massaging to make it fit just right.clean up the edges and flanges them .then tack it all together.

i also finished framing out the drivers side rear window

pa230842tx3.jpg

pa230845lc8.jpg

some more pics i didn't get to upload till now

readyforweldingcd8.jpg

pa240865vs7.jpg

pa240866js6.jpg

pa240867pc2.jpg

now i just need to work the passenger side like the drivers side.then i need to work on getting 220 up to the garage.damn rental homes never have what you need,lol.

i'm hoping to have the chassis done by spring .at that point i can either strip out the engine,trans,and case for something else or just beat the stock drive train for a bit with some real axles under it over course.

Did you ever consider cutting the roof piece off the back of the hunk you cut off the XJ, then the roof line would probably match up a lot better.

no it really wouldn't have helped much so it would have gotten the job done faster but it would have also made it look worse .the Xj's roof line passes right below were the rounded section of MJ roof is.so it would have made a square corner behind the cab.yes this would have been easier to accomplish but it would also look like @$$ .they way i'm doing it in the correct way it will keep the rounded section of the roof and make it look more factory.

just because something might be easier doesn't mean thats the way that should be taken.

the frame will be 2x4 from the front end to the rear of the cab.the entire bed will be made of tubing that will also tie into the exo cage.

just an opinion but it would look better if you deleted the comanche side vent in favor of slightly more window. You could use the other end of the 2 door window sectioned in in place of the vent for a window that looks more proportional to the long 2dr windows and doors you've got.

Of course what looks better to me and what looks better to you are probably totally different.

talk is cheap and you're in rare air making such a custom Jeep, great work. Are you still planing on tubing out the rear half? Personally with all the work you're doing it'd be a shame not to put a short bed on there.

Speaking of talk is cheap, I've been slowly gathering the pieces to do a crew cab Comanche so this thread rocks. Keep up the good work.

like i've stated in the other thread(project X) to do a 4 door is simple compared to this as long as you stay all comanche parts minus the rear doors off course.

as for a long window i thought about it but it is to late at this point since i didn't leave enough Xj to make the window frame .second reason i want the vent is because thats a Jeep signature .you see that vent and most jeepers know its a Comanche of some type

worked on the roof some more today

pa270872tp8.jpg

pa270873rq2.jpg

of course the ribs will get blended in

pa270875mv0.jpg

pa270876qg7.jpg

closer look

pa270879cb6.jpg

the floor still has work

pa270880it6.jpg

pa270881st7.jpg

like i said the bottom of the seat fits but i will most likely be using a Master Craft bench

pa270882js6.jpg

pa270883ac6.jpg

like i've stated in the other thread(project X) to do a 4 door is simple compared to this as long as you stay all comanche parts minus the rear doors off course.

as for a long window i thought about it but it is to late at this point since i didn't leave enough Xj to make the window frame .second reason i want the vent is because thats a Jeep signature .you see that vent and most jeepers know its a Comanche of some type

I'll go check that thread, at first blush I can't figure out why sectioning a 4 door into a Camanche would be any easier than a 2 door, assuming you're using the front clip of a 4dr and a long bed MJ, bobbing the bed, and grafting the MJ cab onto the 4dr at the C pillar. Basically the same operation. It seems like more work if the rear seat is to actually be useful you'd have to do more metal work behind the C pillar where the Comanch rear cab gets grafted in. at a guess the rear seat back is a foot back from the edge of the door, so a filler panel would probably be needed between the C pillar where the 4dr rear window starts and the MJ cab back.

i explained it in project "X-Cab" i'm sorry.

i explain how i would do it again to make it a suicide 4 door extra cab.i explain the 4 door a few posts down.but the first post explains it for the mot part.

the reason why you don't want to graft the MJ rear half to a Xj is the Xj frame is weaker and harder to make work.the MJ frame is thicker ,bigger ,and is flat from the back of the cab to the rear bumper making it easy to construct a floor.