My MJ Project

I bought this Comanche when i was 16 in 1996 it was my first truck. Its a 1989 short bed, 2wd, 2.5, 5 speed. I abused this truck pretty good the years i drove it. it had been sitting since 2001 needing lots of repairs but i couldent get rid of it because of sentimental value so i started work on it...

Image Not Found

this is the truck when i first got it

Image Not Found

here it is as i started work on it, it was about 10 different colors

Image Not Found

This is it now after POR15, spray paint, and herculineer

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I bought a '89 4x4 parts XJ to convert it to 4wd and i plan on lifting it about 3" and putting 31" tires on it. Now that its coming along I'm really glad i dident let it sit in my yard and rust, or have the junkyard come get it!

I'm going to patch it I'm not that great at body work but I'm sure that patch will look better than a rust hole lol. That "exhaust tip" is a piece of drain pipe i sild over the exhaust to keep my dog from runing into it i might have to get it chromed though 8)

i looked at that for a good minute like... wth? is that really his exhaust.

new meaning to "redneck shade-tree" :D

I'm going to patch it I'm not that great at body work but I'm sure that patch will look better than a rust hole lol. That "exhaust tip" is a piece of drain pipe i sild over the exhaust to keep my dog from runing into it i might have to get it chromed though 8)

When you do the patch job...

don't use body filler. It will just promote rust behind it.

Just cut out the bad area with a sazall the make it square, then cut a sheet metal patch slightly larger than the affected area. Paint everything so that it does not rust (inside and out) and put the patch on with rivets or screws so that you can remove it and recoat the paint or wash out the debri every now and then.

• 4 weeks later...

i got a little more done on it. I put Rusty's 3" 180# coils on it and got the dana 30 swaped in and a 33x12.50 mounted on it just to see how things cleared

Image Not Found

D30

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I think I'm going to add a 1" spacer and cut the fenders and it should be ok if not i will put 32's on it