3 Down

So I finished 2 projects this weekend and wanted to see what you guys thought:

The first is of course the doors that i asked how to do and the fender flares from a donor TJ

Now the latest

I put in On-Board air and a tank

Ran the lines under the truck and I'm fastening them to the frame

Homemade tank mounted in bed

I also put quick connects on the bed rails

I believe its 8x8 square tube thats 3/8" thick and i pumped 300 in it to pressure test and check for leaks but i will only store around 135-145 because the regulator i bought is only for that much and then it shuts off the compressor. I may be mistaken on the size but its a chunk of steel we had laying around and i wanted to put more pressure to it but i don't hhave anything that will i think 300 tested it good enough. i have ran it up 3 or 4 times to check with the compressor but no leaks. jamminz.gif I'm planning to get about a 25 gallon tank to replace the homemade job with since its so heavy and only holds like 3.2 gallons.

Cole

My latest project was trail doors which i made one last night and it turned out pretty good. jamminz.gif

Here is the hinge pins i made up on the fly

And here's my latch until i get a good design thought up and no it want be driven like this

I think they will turn out fairly decent when I'm finished. :D

Cole

And here's my latch until i get a good design thought up and no it want be driven like this

they look good. i'm curious about the metal choice. never have had an idea on what ppl use.

Leash%20Clips%20Style%20D.jpg

that and chain would be fine if you don't want something fancy, but want something hardy. if it can hold a 1500 pound horse in a stall, your doors'll stay on.

That may very well be the type i go with i just havent decided yet since only one is done. As far as the metal choice these are not meant to do as much in the way of protection as some but i made them out of 1.5 outside diameter .25 wall tubing and them angle is only 3/16 thick 3x3. I'm not sure about the exact type these were in the scrap pile and I'm on a budget. :brows: but i thnk they will keep me in the truck and protect me from most trees and rocks hopefully :eek:

Cole

• 3 months later...
That may very well be the type i go with i just havent decided yet since only one is done. As far as the metal choice these are not meant to do as much in the way of protection as some but i made them out of 1.5 outside diameter .25 wall tubing and them angle is only 3/16 thick 3x3. I'm not sure about the exact type these were in the scrap pile and I'm on a budget. :brows: but i thnk they will keep me in the truck and protect me from most trees and rocks hopefully :eek:

Cole

I always assumed people made trail doors not for protection but for better visability. I'd put some sort of sheet metal over the entire thing so that less rocks n shiet fly into the cab.

Lookin good :chillin:

Oh and about the TJ flares, how much of ur fender have you cut out? I'm in trouble with the local 5-0 with my fenderless MJ and thought I should do something... :mad: darn cops

I got a 4x8 sheet of aluminum that is going to be put there but i need to get ahold of a metal break cause i want it to fold over the top so there are no sharp edges :brows:

hopefully i can slip into a shop onbase soon and take car of this. but its getting colder so i am focused on my bumper project right now.

Cole

I used a gate latch. Got them from Ace Hardware. They need just a bit of filing, and the latch tightly.

Here it is. I only used the latch portion.

bigcolor

Sorry, about the image size I 'borrowed' the pic from National Manufacturing's website.

BTW, I didn't invent it. It was a creation of Redneck Engineering, and the Barrio Fab Works.

I have decided on the latch that someone used for there tailgate. Its was a 90* latch and would work well i just can't find the post right now i think i haved it saved at work. Thanks for posting up though.

BPM4x4...... I will do a write up with pics on the flares sometime tonight hopefully.

Cole

Ok hopefully this works well I am typing it up in word and transferring it over so here it goes…… First off you need to trim the lip that goes around the mounting inside edge of the fender it will hold it away from the truck. Next I mocked up where I wanted it and marked the inside so I had room to mount the flare to the truck. I then broke out the greatest invention known to offroaders more commonly called a SAWZALL and started hacking once I was done I made sure all sharp and potential tire cutting edges were bent under or covered using this rubber trim that I got from my dads work back home. I then had a buddy hold the fender in place so I could mark the holes with a sharpie after that was done I drilled small pilot holes and ran some self tapping screws threw them and sandwiched the flare in-between I then aligned it how I wanted and tightend everything down except the rear bolts closest to the door. At a later time I cut the lower part of the flare off so that it would sit flush since the lip that runs down the bottom panel of the truck wouldn’t hold it up ( I will point this out in pics) lastly I tightened the rear screws up and I was done. Hope this helps if you have any Questions let me know.

Newest pics

Here is the last cut

Here is it stuffed

See how high I chopped

Sorry for the big images and long post trying to help as much as possible

Cole

• 1 month later...
NP what size tires are you running??? I have a little over 7"s of lift and 35s and fully stuffed its a good 4"s of clearance. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Cole

35" SX swampers (15.5 wide)

4.5" RE Coils

ACOS

short arms

Dana 44 axle out of a wagoneer

9" rear out of a 79 Bronco

I think the short arms are going to limit my travel so that will get changed later (after I wheel it a little).