Stroked '99 MJ

Some of you may have seen my build thread on other forums so I won't go into great detail, but maybe I can now be in the "Comanche Club" since my MJ is finally up and running again.

It will probably never be "finished" but it's a LOT closer than before.

Regardless here a few current pics of the truck. And the specs:

'90 Eliminator converted to '99 MJ

4.7L Stroker

AW4 Auto

NP231 w/AA SYE

HP30 w/4.88s, Detroit Locker, Alloy USA Shafts, SOLID Cover, Currie Currectlync Steering

MJ Dana44 w/4.88s, Detroit Locker, TenFactory Alloy Shafts, ZJ Disk Brakes, SOLID Cover

Rockkrawler 6.5" 3-Link Long Arm kit up front

Ruff Stuff SOA Kit rear with stock leafs

Bilstein 5100s all around

35x12.5r15 MT/R's w/Kevlar mounted to Matte Black MB-72 Alloys

Rigidco Front winch bumper

Rigidco Rear bumper (not finished yet)

Started with these 2 in August of 2009...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Fast forward 10 months and now the 2 have been combined into this.....

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

A few more of the Stroker and interior

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Interior and Electrical system all transferred over from the '99 XJ

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Thanks for looking....let me know what you think

Nice MJ... Call me crazy, but didn't you already have a build thread or am I nuts... I specifically remember the corner guards....

Rob L. :cheers:

Your not crazy, I did have a build thread but I had to delete it a few months ago due to some issues with Photobucket :nuts:

Welcome.....back! Don't know if you got word that you were being :bowdown: over here just recently as I posted a link to your JF build thread, but needless to say, I'm sure all us MJ nuts are glad you posted up again. Sure as heck looks like you have a lot of skills and could offer a lot of great input here. :cheers:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24449

Thanks guys!!

I was able to sell the Bilsteins and the ORO steering on JF. The new 10" travel Bilstein shocks and Currie steering should be here later today. I've got to scramble to get everything on since we are leaving tomorrow morning in the MJ for a week long trip. It's a 4+ hour drive to the NC coast so tomorrow will be the true test :yes:

Pics to come later.....

AWESOME BUILD! :bowdown:

Looks like you have an original gas tank in that thing - how'd the '99 electronics like that? I know the RENIX to OBD-I switch reverses the fuel gauge, but I forget if 97 and later XJ senders reverse it again. 96 XJ senders are one of a kind and I won't get into the details on those.

AWESOME BUILD! :bowdown:

Looks like you have an original gas tank in that thing - how'd the '99 electronics like that? I know the RENIX to OBD-I switch reverses the fuel gauge, but I forget if 97 and later XJ senders reverse it again. 96 XJ senders are one of a kind and I won't get into the details on those.

Of the entire swap the fuel tank/charcoal canister was the worst part! :ack: LOTS of trial an error and test fitting.

The solution I ended up with was using the stock MJ short bed tank, blocking off/sealing the stock fuel pump opening on the side, cutting a new hole in the top of the tank and dropping the fuel pump in from the top out of the '99 XJ and using a set of fuel cell rings from Copperhead Fab. With this set up I was able to remount the stock tank back in the stock location thus utilizing the stock filler neck and straps. I ran rubber fuel injection hose from the top of the tank/fuel pump to the XJ hardlines that I transferred over to the MJ. Also I remounted the evap/charcoal canister from the XJ under the bed of the MJ and extended all the lines.

The only 2 negatives with this set up is the tank did have to be spaced down about 2" lower so that the top of the XJ pump clears the bottom of the bed. The stock straps have enough length in them to work. Also the MJ tank is deeper than the XJ pump reaches by about 2-3" so I have to fill up a little sooner. Otherwise everything works great, including the fuel guage.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It's hard to see but in this picture you can see the evap/charcoal canister from the XJ remounted.

Image Not Found

Thanks fellas. I pulled a late night Friday night and got the new shocks on as well as the Currie steering and buttoned up some other loose ends then drove it to the beach Saturday morning. I'll try to post up some pics of new parts and some mild wheelin on the beach later this week.

you sir have without a doubt the best looking MJ i have ever laid eyes on. :bowdown: :drool: :drool: :drool:

X2,3,4,5,6,7

this is what I would love to do but the GF keeps me on a real tight budget

WOW its all I have to say ..........

This truck has been and will continue to be an inspiration for my '98 MJ build. Thank you for posting up the written description and pictures of your fuel pump setup. That was one of the 'unknowns' on my list of things to figure out.

I hope you don't mind me asking you a bunch of questions along the way ;)

So when does mass production of those corner guards begin? Hahaha, It looks great.

Thanks man! The corner guards took way too long for mass production. They are definately a one off set....LOL.

When do you expect to get your rear bumper?

I have the center section of the rear bumper already, I'm just waiting on the end caps from Terry at Rigidco. Hopefully I'll have them in a few weeks.