Plow MJ

xjrev10

This fell into my lap the last couple days. Scrapping buddy of a buddy got this thing and was going to scrap it. its pays to tell everyone you know that you like comanches so when they come outa nowhere, they call ya. Even delivered to my yard... Ive had posession of it for almost an hour. My plans for it are to get it running and moving, fix the rear leaf spring, and use it! If the truck doesnt want to cooperate, I now am the proud owner of a MJ/XJ plow setup! jamminz.gif

Please enjoy the following pictures. :popcorn:

90/LWB/2.5/231

Looks like the same residential plow set up I had on mine. Not too bad really if you're not trying to push wet snow. I also ovaled out my three bumper holes where the plow mounts bolts up to the stock bumper mounts. I'd invest in some 1/4" reinforcement plates or else that mounting bracket with the two big mounting rods could rip right off.

One more thing, probably a good idea to take the winch apart and slap some RTV/silicone on the mating surfaces to waterproof it as best possible.

I have a new winch in the garage. 1500lb superwinch for a ATV that would probably work just fine.

Right now I'm hoping I can get the truck running, moving. Be next week before I have a chance to mess with it.

Strange things you find in vehicles...

I originally was told this jeep was a 89. I pulled out the owners manual and warrenty information and both say 1989 on them but the numbers are crossed out and 1990 is hand written in their place. Guess I never even looked that close at the title.

First 1990 to find its way to my yard :clapping:

I originally was told this jeep was a 89. I pulled out the owners manual and warrenty information and both say 1989 on them but the numbers are crossed out and 1990 is hand written in their place. Guess I never even looked that close at the title.

:yes: I recognized it immediately as a '90, looks just like mine, only red. Immediately. Don't see how you missed it. :thumbsup:

What is all that white stuff? Cold here too. 58 when I got up,only going to be 75 today. Maybe winter has started. :clapping:

:yes: I recognized it immediately as a '90, looks just like mine, only red. Immediately. Don't see how you missed it. :thumbsup:

What is all that white stuff? Cold here too. 58 when I got up,only going to be 75 today. Maybe winter has started. :clapping:

Do you know what that thing mounted to the front of the truck is used for? :rotf:

Just given you a hard time. My folks moved to Dade City for the winter. This will be their first winter down there. You guys can have the HOT. I like sunny and 30. jamminz.gif

The front end is identical to my 87 FWIW..

Dade city? That's so cool I live right next to there jamminz.gif thanks for sending yet another 55+ person down tho :fs1:

Brandon

Yep. I think ive talked to you before about this. I knew you where close. Yep Dad just turned 55 this summer. :cheers:

Dade city? That's so cool I live right next to there jamminz.gif thanks for sending yet another 55+ person down tho :fs1:

Brandon

Yep. I think ive talked to you before about this. I knew you where close. Yep Dad just turned 55 this summer. :cheers:

:doh: didn't remember, let me just take a wild guess alrund this time last year? Lol And happy birthday tO dad from his neighbor :cheers:

Brandon

Brandon

:doh: didn't remember, let me just take a wild guess alrund this time last year? Lol And happy birthday tO dad from his neighbor :cheers:

Brandon

:rotf:

I don't remember... I might come down there someday. Thats a long drive and I refuse to fly.....

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced ignition switch and starter. The OE starter was junk, and as it turns out the BRAND NEW one from the auto parts store was also junk!

Project will commence Thursday, my next day off, but I have heard it turn over. :clapping:

• 2 months later...

Finally out of the garage. Drove it out!

Replaced:

Clutch/slave

Clutch line from master cylinder to slave (home brew)

starter

ignition switch

leaf spring (thanks sinkrun!!)

one new tire (yes brand new!!)

A bunch of little things. Hit alot of brick walls on this project due to rust issues, broken bolts, time.

Plans yet:

New fuel tank (leaks)

better wiring for plow

replace some busted emission hoses

fluid change

exhaust (straight pipe to the x-member right now)

permanently fix the CAD system (works currently amazingly!)

Some more pics:

New (used) leaf spring from Sinkrun

My sweet 'T' handle shift knob made outa some SK sockets that my late grandfather had welded (brazed actually) together and I have never used them as a tool. 'T' shifters rule!

Now that my whole yard stinks like gas from the tank leaking on this thing, tomorrow I'm stealing the tank from the 89 and putting it in. Fixed a spring on the plow so it doesnt keep pushing down and snapping back today.

Now if we would just get some more snow!

Actually, I have a snowblower I stole (borrowed) from my folks. They are in Florida for the winter so they don't need it! I have actually HAD to snowblow 3 times this winter. Got plowed out by a neighbor once. I have plowed my driveway 3 times in the last couple days just cuz. 1" of snow doesnt really mean you have to plow, but its a excuse to drive a MJ in the middle of winter!

Forgot to ad..

It takes 2.5 hours to snowblow my driveway/yard. Takes about 10-15min with the MJ.

Also the whole goal for this little project was to keep the whole buy in price under the cost of a new snowblower. Right around 750 bucks invested, so I did good...I think.