Headlights on with doors open ... no chime?

Now I know with my fancy '05 wrangler that if I open the door with my headlights on the jeep will sit there and chime at me until I either shut the door or turn out the lights.

On my Comanche its never done anything, so I just figured it was the door switches. Well I took them out and cleaned them really good. Put everything back in and now I get the chime/buzz when the key is in the ignition and the door is open, but still nothing on the headlights. Is this normal or should I be checking up on some wire?

Reason I'm concerned is because I killed the battery on Friday after leaving my headlights on. :oops:

Still no interior lights either, figuring the housing and bulbs must be bad since I got power up to it. Confirmed it with a meter.

uh...that's an OLD truck man, it doesn't remind you the lights are off.

i've never seen a manche that does that, and as far as i'm aware, cherokees didn't do that until around 93 or 94.

as for the interior lighting, those typically go bad. take them off and try wire brushing the contacts and the metal parts. that's how i got mine to work.

There were two buzzer modules which came w. 86-96 XJ/MJ Jeeps, one with a black plastic case; the other with a lt. blue case. You want the BLUE one, because the black one has no pinout for the LIGHTS ON alarm. Pull your black module and you'll find there is no Pin 8 for the lights on input.

[tab]

[4] [3] [2] [1]

[8] [7] [6] [5]

The tab is the lock tab that holds the buzzer in. Pin 5 is a blank.

Pin 1 is power

Pin 2 goes to the instrument cluster somewhere

Pin 3 is ground

Pin 4 is the seat belt input

Pin 5 blank

Pin 6 is the door switch input

Pin 7 is the key in input

Pin 8 is the headlight input

Check the yards and pull a blue chime module from and XJ and swap it out w. the black one. Then your lights on alarm will work.

There were two buzzer modules which came w. 86-96 XJ/MJ Jeeps, one with a black plastic case; the other with a lt. blue case. You want the BLUE one, because the black one has no pinout for the LIGHTS ON alarm. Pull your black module and you'll find there is no Pin 8 for the lights on input.

[tab]

[4] [3] [2] [1]

[8] [7] [6] [5]

The tab is the lock tab that holds the buzzer in. Pin 5 is a blank.

Pin 1 is power

Pin 2 goes to the instrument cluster somewhere

Pin 3 is ground

Pin 4 is the seat belt input

Pin 5 blank

Pin 6 is the door switch input

Pin 7 is the key in input

Pin 8 is the headlight input

Check the yards and pull a blue chime module from and XJ and swap it out w. the black one. Then your lights on alarm will work.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to add list to my yard list.

The factory installed a visual warning for if you leave the headlights on.

haha, yea, but normally I run my lights on the way to work when the sun is coming up and by the time I'm here its all bright, which makes the factory visual warning less than useful. :D

i no that the 88 leaves the lights on after the truck is off and the 87 does not :nuts:

bull. my 87 leaves the lights on whether off or on, my bro's 88 does as well, so does my 86 and the 90 I had

that's part of an option package, my 87 has the courtesy lights as well.

that's part of an option package, my 87 has the courtesy lights as well.

It's called the Headlamp Delay option. Easy to install. The headlamp delay module is located up under the dash next to the headlamp switch; you can pull at the yard. They are all the same up to 2001. The wiring for it was in place in my 91. In order for it to work you also must have the blue chime module, and then place a 25A fuse for the delay lights in the PDC (if I remember correctly).

Well I went to the '89 parts truck and sure enough next to the fuse box I found a light blue relay looking thingy. Pulled it and went to the '87 project truck. Its one was white, thought it was wierd and pulled it. Ended up only having three pins and the blue one wouldn't fit obviously. Am I trying to swap the wrong one? I'll have to take the kick panel off and look harder I guess.

left side of your fusebox...directly in front of your ebrake assembly. may be hard to remove....wiggle-method is best

JeepcoMJ is exactly right, left side of the fuse box, has provisions for 8 pins, although only 7 are used. About a 2"x1" rectangular box. I don't know what you pulled, if round it was the emergency or turn signal flasher, but they have only 2 pins.

uh...that's an OLD truck man, it doesn't remind you the lights are off.

i've never seen a manche that does that, and as far as i'm aware, cherokees didn't do that until around 93 or 94.

My '88 Comanche did. The warning module finally bought the farm this past winter, which I discovered the day I came out of work and couldn't even get the dash lights to glow.

I agree, however, that I've never encountered an MJ with a headlight warning buzzer. My '87 Pioneer doesn't have one and my '88 Chief doesn't. No reason why a Cherokee warning module couldn't be retrofitted, though -- if they are still available.

274445.jpg

Still available (at least they were last year) part number 22514857. Also has SF8956001076 written on the side. But easier and cheaper to find at the yard, make sure you pull the one with the blue case and seven pins. Most all XJ's had 1994+ had them. Even checked Mama's 01 XJ, it was there. And they plug right in.

274445.jpg

Still available (at least they were last year) part number 22514857. Also has SF8956001076 written on the side. But easier and cheaper to find at the yard, make sure you pull the one with the blue case and seven pins. Most all XJ's had 1994+ had them. Even checked Mama's 01 XJ, it was there. And they plug right in.

ok so I pulled some other light blue box out of the parts MJ, i'll put that back and take a gander for this. But I'm figuring both are black because nothing else was light blue underneath either that I can recall. Thanks for the pic, thats a big help.

ok so I was monkeying around under there last night and when I pulled back the kick panel a red missile like plastic thing fell out. I have to assume this is from a GIjoe of the previous owner, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Is there anything under the dash on the driver's side that is in anyway shape or form close to a small red plastic missile roughly 3"s long and a 1/4" in diameter at its thickest spot?

Here's a pic of where the module goes (I took it when I was swapping out my black one for the blue one). It's the clear plastic connector to the left of the fusebox, and that small plastic tab that holds it in is just about impossible to unclip ;)

I've got an extra module, somewhere in my parts heap, if anyone needs one.

Jeff

Image Not Found